UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lillis....WTF!

Can anyone fathom a guess as to why this guy can't stay out of foul trouble? I wish he would as aggressive on the offensive end as he is on defense. I also hope that one day he will realize that there are more ways to play solid defense then just going for the steal or block like getting your hands straight up and moving your feet. In my opinion the coach needs to address this problem because it's a serious problem when one of your starting guys can't stay on the floor. He has been a foul machine ALL season, it's a little frustrating to watch.

It's a mystery. I was expecting big things against Utah after reading about him at Cornel...some big late baskets...being vocal at half time.

Lillis would be a great topic for a TU story. Singelias to Lillis..."so Lillis WTF?" See where that conversation goes.

To his defense he does get the tough defensive assignments but it does boil down to poor decision making. I'm sure Brown is working on this issues privately which is where is should be addressed...but I'd still like to see this TU story. Comeon Mark...you must read this board.

It's a mystery. I was expecting big things against Utah after reading about him at Cornel...some big late baskets...being vocal at half time.

Lillis would be a great topic for a TU story. Singelias to Lillis..."so Lillis WTF?" See where that conversation goes.

To his defense he does get the tough defensive assignments but it does boil down to poor decision making. I'm sure Brown is working on this issues privately which is where is should be addressed...but I'd still like to see this TU story. Comeon Mark...you must read this board.

Singelais has already done a story on Lillis this season, and his penchance for picking up fouls was a major focus of the article. I cannot tell you when this story appeared, but it was relatively recently. It may not have been a full-blown article, perhaps it appeared in one of his blogs. I'm quite sure you can still find the references Singelais made about Lillis's fouls.

Thanks 71. I remember what you're talking about... it is from the blog. I still think someone needs to ask the WTF question. Maybe we need to lobby his sister to kick him in the but. Either way Lillis is my favorite Dane. He brings so much to the table and so much potential. Offensive flashes late in his freshman year, the reverse dunk last year in traffic. Plus he can shoot the ball. I really feel if he decides he's going to do something it's going to get done. It's just that he is deciding he wants to play a certain style of D and that is resulting in too many fouls. He needs to settle back early on. This team is not as deep offensively as we thought it would be and he needs to realize that.

UAlbany in a foul mood

December 7, 2006 at 7:18 pm by Mark Singelais

Just some left-over tidbits from the VCU game:

*UAlbany can’t seem to keep starting guards Jason Siggers and Brian Lillis out of foul trouble.

In four games this year, Siggers and Lillis each have drawn their second foul in the first half. UAlbany has lost three of those contests.

It held true in Wednesday’s 75-57 loss to VCU, when Lillis earned his second with 9:59 left in the first half and Siggers got No. 2 with 8:51 remaining. Both had to sit, and not coincidentally, the Rams closed the half with a 17-4 run.

‘’We’ve got to stop having Jason Siggers and Brian Lillis pick up two fouls early in every game now,'’ UAlbany coach Will Brown said. ‘’They got to sit for long periods of time. We need Brian and Jason on the floor. Every game now, two fouls early, and it gets us out of a rhythm. You hope they have a positive mindset, but when you sit for long periods of time, then you go into halftime, then you’ve got to get yourself going again, I think it’s tough.'’

It probably had something to do with VCU grabbing 14 offensive rebounds in the first half because Lillis and Siggers are two of the team’s top three rebounders.

Lillis has been especially quick to draw the whistle. He was called for his first foul 18 seconds into the Bucknell game, 17 seconds into the Delaware contest, 2:07 into the Sacred Heart game, 48 seconds into the UConn game and 1:57 into the VCU contest.

*Against VCU, UAlbany made all its free throws (10 for 10) for the first time in the Division I era when attempting 10 or more in a game. Too bad the Great Danes weren’t that proficient against Siena or they might have won the double-overtime game.

*Brett Gifford, the 6-foot-11 freshman, started despite having his knee drained on Monday but had no rebounds in 24 minutes.

With Lillis, you take the bad with the good. He is very active on defense. He takes risks which result in a high number of steals and deflections per minute played. By taking risks, he also commits a lot of reach in type fouls. He can be frustrating to watch, but he can play on my team anytime.

Archived