UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Covington v. Pipikis -- the parallels

After the last few games, I've noticed how Jimmy Covington has progressed along similar lines as Janis Pipikis '04 (until, of course, Pipikis' season-ending injury). Jimmy's sophomore year looks a lot like the beginning of Janis' senior year.

Both started out not playing a whole lot the year before and having little to no offensive output when they did get significant minutes. But each had sort of a breakout game (Pipikis against Army and Covington against Stony Brook). Since the breakout game, each showed a lot more offensive confidence and became a significant physical presence in the paint, though Pipikis' run only lasted a few games. Both played essentially as undersized centers in terms of height but with fairly large builds.

I was really disappointed when Pipikis went down for the season because he was showing quite a bit of improvement and the coaches seemed to have more and more confidence in him, and he in himself. We may not have had a winning record that 2003-04 season, but I'm pretty sure we would've won more than five games had Pipikis been playing--just look at all the close games we had. Hopefully Jimmy's story turns out different and he's got another two years to go anyway. Just thought the two players have a lot in common.

S$

After the last few games, I've noticed how Jimmy Covington has progressed along similar lines as Janis Pipikis '04 (until, of course, Pipikis' season-ending injury). Jimmy's sophomore year looks a lot like the beginning of Janis' senior year.

Both started out not playing a whole lot the year before and having little to no offensive output when they did get significant minutes. But each had sort of a breakout game (Pipikis against Army and Covington against Stony Brook). Since the breakout game, each showed a lot more offensive confidence and became a significant physical presence in the paint, though Pipikis' run only lasted a few games. Both played essentially as undersized centers in terms of height but with fairly large builds.

I was really disappointed when Pipikis went down for the season because he was showing quite a bit of improvement and the coaches seemed to have more and more confidence in him, and he in himself. We may not have had a winning record that 2003-04 season, but I'm pretty sure we would've won more than five games had Pipikis been playing--just look at all the close games we had. Hopefully Jimmy's story turns out different and he's got another two years to go anyway. Just thought the two players have a lot in common.

S$

Janis was not injured. There were some questions regarding his eligibilty , , so to be safe Coach Brown did not play him

Janis was not injured. There were some questions regarding his eligibilty , , so to be safe Coach Brown did not play him

Excuse me? From the archives:

BASKETBALL'S JANIS PIPIKIS WILL MISS THE REMAINDER OF THE 2003-04 SEASON

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany basketball center Janis Pipikis will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury. MRI results showed on Wednesday, Dec. 31 that Pipikis has torn both his anterior cruciate ligament and a medial collateral ligament in the right knee. He will have surgery within the next two weeks to correct the damage.

Pipikis, a 6-foot-8 senior from Ventspils, Latvia, suffered the injury in a morning practice on Dec. 27

You're not confusing him with Kareem Ouattara, are you?

As of last night Jimmie lead the America East in Free Throw percentage. Sweet! Thats something at least that he has over Zoellner, But I must say Kirsten was a much bigger threat and fould more often. In part because he was a relatively poor Free throw shooter.

As of last night Jimmie lead the America East in Free Throw percentage. Sweet! Thats something at least that he has over Zoellner, But I must say Kirsten was a much bigger threat and fould more often. In part because he was a relatively poor Free throw shooter.

It would be nice as Both Jimmie and Gifford develop to see a nice 1-2 punch in the middle---10 fouls to give are better than 5.

reminds me of the rotation Joe B. Hall had at Kentucky in the late '70's with a 3 center rotation--Rick Robey, a kid named Phillips and another guy. Joe B. used to say having 3 centers with 15 fouls to give is better than one with 5 to give

It would be nice as Both Jimmie and Gifford develop to see a nice 1-2 punch in the middle---10 fouls to give are better than 5.

reminds me of the rotation Joe B. Hall had at Kentucky in the late '70's with a 3 center rotation--Rick Robey, a kid named Phillips and another guy. Joe B. used to say having 3 centers with 15 fouls to give is better than one with 5 to give

reminds me of the rotation Joe B. Hall had at Kentucky in the late '70's with a 3 center rotation--Rick Robey, a kid named Phillips and another guy. Joe B. used to say having 3 centers with 15 fouls to

I guess the progress Jan made for his final year was similar to Jimmie's progress, but Jimmie's quite a bit better than Jan, IMHO. Jimmie looks better than Jan did as a Senior.

No question, Jimmie's more talented. I'm just saying his progress, build, and style of play brought Pipikis to mind. True low post players are somewhat of a rare bird in our league, and it's interesting to see them develop like these two did. If Jimmie and Giff could consistently give us 20-25 ppg between the two of them, it would do wonders for our guard play.

Archived