UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Remember Kojo vs Siena?

A fairly identical situation has arisen with a Virginia Tech player wanting to transfer to George Washington:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/recruitingi...ml?nav=rss_blog

It was hard to think objectively last year, because Siena was involved. I was just curious if anyone's opinion might be different is this case where most of us have no alliegance to or hatred of VT or GWU.

A fairly identical situation has arisen with a Virginia Tech player wanting to transfer to George Washington:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/recruitingi...ml?nav=rss_blog

It was hard to think objectively last year, because Siena was involved. I was just curious if anyone's opinion might be different is this case where most of us have no alliegance to or hatred of VT or GWU.

I personally didn't have a problem with Siena not giving him an outright release. There were a fair number of questions surrounding his involvement with (the name escapes me) and a legitimate question could be asked....was Kojo tampered with. Did Everheart through a sort of proxy entice him to leave Siena to play at Duqasne, we probably won't know 100% for sure but I didn't have a problem with Siena not granting him an outright release. Everheart did something similar with another player from NU if I'm not mistaken. We would all be as pissed as Siena fans if we suspected that our player (a good one BTW) was tampered with and left.

There was the possibility that he was simply not happy with his first season playing for Coach McCaffrey as he was recruited by Lanier but personally I was always under the impression that he was tempered with. Could they have handled it more gracefully, probably as it kind of dragged on and on and on but I can't kill them for that.

I also feel the pretty much the same about this I did before and I still disagree with boyisdid and the whole ncaa concept of needing the Release from the school. Technically, a scholarship is a one year at a time renewable each year (I think) at the discretion of the school. If the student/athlete or athlete/student is unhappy why shouldn't they be allowed to transfer between academic years. The already have to sit out one season if they transfer and if they are willing to wait the year to play elsewhere why should the school they are leaving have any say in that. I would feel different if a student athlete left in the middle of the year or the season. Then I would feel he is quitting on the team. But again between seasons and school year, I feel that is just part of life. You don't have to like it, but I don't think you have a moral right to keep a person where he is unhappy.

Remember Coaches can leave between season for a better opportunity and all we can do is hope they stay or wish them well in their new opportunity.

As far as the tampering issue, when is it tampering and when is it sour grapes. If the other school really did something wrong I think you should prove it or stop whining.

Archived