UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Should the Athletic Dep't/NEC Refuse the Mid Major moniker?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so I've done some reading and investigating regarding the so-called "Mid Major" football moniker.

It appears as if the NEC, MAAC and PFL together with Don Hansen and The Sports Network created the mid major moniker (poll, awards, championship, etc...) years back becasue of the lack of foreseeable access to regular rankings, awards, championships, etc...

As you all know, we have achieved great strides in recent years in football. So much so that I think we no longer need to take part in the Mid Major poll. I actually think it is creates a generalization about the quality of football we play and quite frankly I'd rather not be associated with the MAAC for football in any way.

I'd rather be associated with the CAA, Ivy and Patriot league.

So after some investigation, it appears that unless the Athletic Department and/or NEC refuses to participate in the polls then we will continue to be ranked as a Mid Major.

What do you guys think? Should the Athletic Dept/NEC brass refuse to be ranked as a mid major and refuse to be considered for the Sports Network Cup (self-proclaimed, non-NCAA recognized, FCS Mid-Major National Championship)?

Just so you know, Stony Brook is still being ranked Mid-Major even thought they are at 38 (edit - thanks UAalumn72) rides.

Being associated with what's left of the MAAC, or the memories of $iena/St. Peter's football, doesn't help us in any way.

This year Stony Brook is at 38 rides, while we and most of the NEC are around 23 (probably hit the NEC limit of 30 next year). SBU was however added to the much-maligned Pete's Power Poll, who doesn't rate the NEC, PFL, MAAC, Ivy or SWAC though he does rate the Big South and Savannah State.

Anything that separates us from the rest of FCS makes it all the harder to be considered for the playoffs even if we deserve it - including the 'Gridion Classic' game.

Archived