UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: UCF debuted their new stadium today (pics)

Has anyone noticed that Florida has added, what... 3 or 4 FBS state schools in the past ten years? USF, Central Florida, Florida International and Florida Atlantic. That's not even counting the founding state schools, Florida and Florida State. Do they have 6 or 7 FBS schools now? The largest university in the country has 1 FBS school. New York... what's up?

Looking at the description of Central Florida's new stadium, I noticed two numbers.... Is construction costs in Albany that much more expensive?

------------------------------------------------

Bright House Networks Stadium

The castle in the University of Central Florida's new kingdom is surely the nation's newest college football venue, Bright House Networks Stadium. The new home for UCF football sprawls over 25 acres, seats 45,301 and serves as the crown jewel of the schools' burgeoning Athletics Village located on the north end of campus.

The Bright House Networks Stadium is part of a $60 million project that included financing costs, reserve requirements, infrastructure, roads, parking and practice fields for football, soccer and baseball. Designs were provided by Kansas City, Mo.-based 360 Architecture, while the construction was managed by Wharton-Smith, Inc. of Sanford, Fla. The stadium seating was erected by Dant Clayton of Louisville, Ky.

Looking at the description of Central Florida's new stadium, I noticed two numbers.... Is construction costs in Albany that much more expensive?

------------------------------------------------

Bright House Networks Stadium

The castle in the University of Central Florida's new kingdom is surely the nation's newest college football venue, Bright House Networks Stadium. The new home for UCF football sprawls over 25 acres, seats 45,301 and serves as the crown jewel of the schools' burgeoning Athletics Village located on the north end of campus.

The Bright House Networks Stadium is part of a $60 million project that included financing costs, reserve requirements, infrastructure, roads, parking and practice fields for football, soccer and baseball. Designs were provided by Kansas City, Mo.-based 360 Architecture, while the construction was managed by Wharton-Smith, Inc. of Sanford, Fla. The stadium seating was erected by Dant Clayton of Louisville, Ky.

I'm no construction expert but I think it has something to do with design and location. The UA stadium design is a "dug out" bowl style stadium. Additionally, I'm sure the materials that are needed in the northeast are more expensive that that used in Florida. It has to withstand brutal winters. But then again they have to withstand hurricanes in Florida.

But I do agree. It does seem like we should be able to build a 15,000 seat stadium for much much much less.

Anybody know how long it took to build that stadium?

The Wikipedia article for Bright House Networks Stadium says 2006 and the article announcing that the first game there (yesterday) would be against Texas, dated May of 2006, said that ground would be broken "shortly". That would mean around 15 months, however they do have the benefit of year-round construction there that we don't have. Under that idea, if we broke ground and stopped totally for the winter, I would say a start at the end of this year could mean that it'd be ready for 2009 and even pushing it back into 2009 would mean it would be ready for 2010. Of course, some projects do get work done in the cold (the refurbishment of the Mobil right outside campus on Western was largely finished in colder weather) so it could be finished sooner.

The new urbanism around the field is something I'd love to see near the UA campus just as much as the stadium. Outside of facilities and the lack of anything to do on campus (i.e. bowling alleys turning into bursars offices), one of the complaints some people I know have is the lack of things immediately surrounding the campus. The Washington side is Hotel Heaven and while the Western side has some stuff, it isn't the same. Heck, put some of that style of planning downtown, it'd be a good accomplishment for Albany as a whole.

Our 60 million is $ for more than the stadium. The stadium is the largest portion, but it includes other athletic facility improvements.

So does their's:

"The Bright House Networks Stadium is part of a $60 million project that included financing costs, reserve requirements, infrastructure, roads, parking and practice fields for football, soccer and baseball."

Archived