UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll

Boooo the Mid Major poll.....

We don't want that sort around here!

The poll that really matters:

Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank

1. Northern Iowa Panthers (56) 7-0 2,696 1

2. North Dakota State Bison (47) 7-0 2,621 2

3. Montana Grizzlies (11) 7-0 2,473 3

4. Massachusetts Minutemen (4) 6-1 2,411 4

5. McNeese State Cowboys (2) 7-0 2,335 6

6. James Madison Dukes 6-1 2,155 8

7. Southern Illinois Salukis 7-1 2,101 9

8. New Hampshire Wildcats 5-2 1,821 11

9. Delaware Blue Hens 6-1 1,679 14

10. Appalachian State Mountaineers 5-2 1,665 5

11. Wofford Terriers 6-2 1,533 7

12. Delaware State Hornets 6-1 1,340 15

13. Yale Bulldogs 6-0 1,240 16

14. Richmond Spiders 5-2 1,110 18

15. Hofstra Pride 6-1 1,057 10

16. Elon Phoenix 5-2 1,000 24

17. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 6-2 849 13

18. Nicholls State Colonels 5-2 849 13

19. Montana State Bobcats 5-2 813 20

20. Youngstown State Penguins 5-3 719 12

21. Grambling State Tigers 6-1 514 23

22. Georgia Southern Eagles 5-2 503 NR

23. Norfolk State Spartans 6-1 432 25

24. Western Illinois Leathernecks 5-3 288 17

25. The Citadel Bulldogs 5-2 282 NR

Others receiving votes: San Diego 250, Alabama A&M 211, Eastern Washington 147, Cal Poly 104, Eastern Illinois 96, Villanova 59, Holy Cross 56, Jacksonville State 40, Northern Arizona 38, Fordham 37, South Carolina State 33, Illinois State 30, Central Arkansas 23, Harvard 19, Hampton 12, South Dakota State 9, Sam Houston State 3, Austin Peay 2, Albany 1, Dayton 1.

I'm with you there. "Mid Major" is not something I like to hear associated with UAlbany. We've been and will continue to play the best in FCS.

Anyway, isn't mid major an oxymoron? Is there a low major?

I would have to agree with you. I never ran across the Sports Network FCS poll... I have always checked the CSTV FCS poll...

Is there any way to change a Topic's title?

BTW, I didn't mean to come down harsh on you for the mid-major poll. I love the enthusiasm. Sorry if it came across bad.

BTW, I didn't mean to come down harsh on you for the mid-major poll. I love the enthusiasm. Sorry if it came across bad.

FYI, this year's Sporting New's basketball preview has the conferences broken up into three categories: high major, mid-major, and low major. UAlbany is listed as a low major, and although it might make sense, it is not the most endearing of classifications.

FYI, this year's Sporting New's basketball preview has the conferences broken up into three categories: high major, mid-major, and low major. UAlbany is listed as a low major, and although it might make sense, it is not the most endearing of classifications.

I think for basketball the mid-major/low-major status makes a little bit of sense. The problem with using that terminology for football is that the NCAA has already split us up....FBS and FCS. FCS is the mid-major of Division I football. If you say we are the mid-major of the mid-major what does that make us?

Once we committed to providing scholarships and started competing on a national level we should have asked to be removed from consideration for the mid-major poll.

I think for basketball the mid-major/low-major status makes a little bit of sense. The problem with using that terminology for football is that the NCAA has already split us up....FBS and FCS. FCS is the mid-major of Division I football. If you say we are the mid-major of the mid-major what does that make us?

The two divisions definitely complicate the football issue, so I guess we will have to go full scholly.

As for 'low major' in basketball, it does make sense that with a high and a mid that there should be a low, but TSN is the first place I have seen it. Here's to making strides towards reclassification.....

Not endearing to us, but I'll bet it would be devastating and/or enraging across town for them to find that the rest of the world considers the MAAC to also be a low major.

America East

Atlantic Sun

Big Sky

Big South

Ivy

MAAC

Mid-Eastern

NEC

Ohio Valley

Patriot

Southland

Summit

SWAC,

and Independents

Looking at last year's Pomeroy conference rankings for #'s 11-32:

High Major 11 Conference USA

Mid Major 12 Horizon League

Mid Major 13 Colonial Athletic Association

High Major 14 Mid American Conference

Mid Major 15 West Coast Conference

Mid Major 16 Big West Conference

Low Major 17 Patriot League

Low Major 18 Ivy League

Mid Major 19 Southern Conference

Low Major 20 America East Conference

Mid Major 21 Sun Belt Conference

Summit (Low) 22 Mid-Continent Conference

Low Major 23 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference

Low Major 24 Big Sky Conference

Low Major 25 Ohio Valley Conference

Low Major 26 Southland Conference

Low Major 27 Atlantic Sun Conference

Low Major 28 Northeast Conference

Low Major 29 Big South Conference

Low Major 30 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

Low Major 31 Independents

Low Major 32 Southwestern Athletic Conference

6 "Mid Majors" now?

Sun Belt a Mid Major?

MAC a high major?

Not endearing to us, but I'll bet it would be devastating and/or enraging across town for them to find that the rest of the world considers the MAAC to also be a low major.

This was discussed on their BB several weeks ago. The concensus was that it was an accurate description.

Archived