UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Maybe some of us underappreciate Iat

From the TU Blog by MS....

Without Martin in the lineup, Brown relied on Iati to bring the ball up against Hartford’s pressure, and he struggled with four turnovers in 17 minutes. But Brown continues to have faith in the fifth-year senior, who had off-season back surgery and is struggling with a big toe injury.

“He’s got about 70 percent feeling in his right leg,” Brown said. “He’s got, it’s not turf toe, it’s a broken toe. He’s going to get X-rays on Monday. He hasn’t practiced in six weeks. All he does is suit up and play in games … Jon is a fifth-year senior who’s experienced, and people who haven’t seen him play might say, `Why is that kid playing? He’s turning the ball over four or five times.’ Maybe it’s Coach Brown throwing him to the wolves, but I’ve got confidence in him. He’s been around for five years. It’s just right now, he’s out there playing with one leg and on guts, and he’s getting frustrated. I’ve got to learn not to get frustrated at him. The one thing he does just being out there, he stretches the defense. Teams have to know where he is because he can really shoot it. His percentages are down this year because he’s on one leg, basically.

Maybe if Jon wasn't such a driven tough kid we'd be up the creek without a paddle this year. With a bad back and a possible broken toe Jon answers the call for UA and Coach Brown and always gives his all.

In the last two games Jon has only taken 6 threes and has hit 4 - most of these makes have come at crucial times.

No matter what we think Brown really seems to appreciate what Jon is doing even though he says both he and Jon get frustrated at times.

Imagine if Jon gave into his injuries the last few games while Josh was out - we could possibly be 2-4 instead of 4-2

I guess if we asked Hartford they would tell us that they wish they had Jon covered in crunch time.

I think at times we are all critical of Iati, but I don't think anyone doesn't recognize or appreciate the heart and passion he plays with. However, it is frustrating at times to see him jack up a three which Mark Price wouldn't even shoot, distance wise. He can be a DEADLY shooter when he is more selective or when he gets into a rhythm. I would argue its hard to get into a rhythm when you shoot from extraordinarily far out. Now that we are seeming to get more open shots and more plays where our guards can penetrate, this should result in an increased amount of open looks for Iati and Wilson... Both of them are not two players who can consistently create their own shot, but when left open or with a half-decent look, they can be deadly.

From the TU Blog by MS....

Without Martin in the lineup, Brown relied on Iati to bring the ball up against Hartford’s pressure, and he struggled with four turnovers in 17 minutes. But Brown continues to have faith in the fifth-year senior, who had off-season back surgery and is struggling with a big toe injury.

“He’s got about 70 percent feeling in his right leg,” Brown said. “He’s got, it’s not turf toe, it’s a broken toe. He’s going to get X-rays on Monday. He hasn’t practiced in six weeks. All he does is suit up and play in games … Jon is a fifth-year senior who’s experienced, and people who haven’t seen him play might say, `Why is that kid playing? He’s turning the ball over four or five times.’ Maybe it’s Coach Brown throwing him to the wolves, but I’ve got confidence in him. He’s been around for five years. It’s just right now, he’s out there playing with one leg and on guts, and he’s getting frustrated. I’ve got to learn not to get frustrated at him. The one thing he does just being out there, he stretches the defense. Teams have to know where he is because he can really shoot it. His percentages are down this year because he’s on one leg, basically.

Maybe if Jon wasn't such a driven tough kid we'd be up the creek without a paddle this year. With a bad back and a possible broken toe Jon answers the call for UA and Coach Brown and always gives his all.

In the last two games Jon has only taken 6 threes and has hit 4 - most of these makes have come at crucial times.

No matter what we think Brown really seems to appreciate what Jon is doing even though he says both he and Jon get frustrated at times.

Imagine if Jon gave into his injuries the last few games while Josh was out - we could possibly be 2-4 instead of 4-2

I guess if we asked Hartford they would tell us that they wish they had Jon covered in crunch time.

Very good point. I don't think anyone was aware of the extent of the injuries. Those are toughies to overcome. What a strong kid. Will was clearly all over Jon last night...and you can tell how much he cares for the kid. At one point, the entire huddle existed of his teammates amping him up...encouraging him...and Will begging Jon for 3 strong minutes because "(I) need you for the next three minutes." Jon, who probably is harder on himself then all of us...had just committed a T.O. and got beat on D.

What does he do? He comes out of that huddle and sticks the dagger in Hartford with that shot clock buzzer beater 3.

That is a kid with a good head...but a seemingly hurting body.

I don't know if there is any room for him, but it would be nice to see him somehow get a spot on the staff, even as a GA. He has the mind for the game and seems to be well-respected. Plus, I feel as though he would be approachable and players would listen. His work ethic would also be a great example for younger players.

I don't know if there is any room for him, but it would be nice to see him somehow get a spot on the staff, even as a GA. He has the mind for the game and seems to be well-respected. Plus, I feel as though he would be approachable and players would listen. His work ethic would also be a great example for younger players.

Excellent thought. He seems to have the kind of mental and physical toughness that can elevate ordinary physical skills to a higher level. That kind of mental chemistry isn't easily imparted from one to another, but Iati appears to do that.

I've been very critical of John Iati at times, but never have I suggested that he doesn't leave it all on the court. Considering the actual extent of his injuries, one can only acknowledge and appreciate just how valuable he's been during this stretch without Martin.

The guy is tough as nails. I remember reading in a post how he had a lot of turnovers, but he only had one more than a few other players and he's doing the lions share of handling the ball, since Josh's injury, while nursing a pretty painful injury. I'd say he's way underappreciated by the msg board, but not by the coaching staff and team.

In the the TU blog today...

Brown said senior guard Jon Iati won’t practice for the rest of the season after X-rays taken Monday confirmed Iati has a small fracture in his left big toe. He will continue to play in games.

Martin won't play against Maine

Archived