UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

As many of you who still live in the capital district probably know there was a shooting at Columbia High School last week. Luckily no one was seriously injured as the shooter missed two students and was then tackled by vice principal John Sawchuk. I was surprised to read in today's TU that Sawchuk is a former Danes football player. From the story he played defense (of course-good tackler) in the early 80's. A little before my time but I was curious if any of you guys remember him. Here's a couple of the stories:

Story on the event from MSNBC.

Story from the TU about Sawchuk's football days at Schenectady and UA.

We also had D2 scholarship New Haven, Springfield, and Southern Conn along with Division 3 playoff teams Hofstra, Ithaca, and Union on those schedules. Our mediocre records had nothing to do with Ford doubling as AD and everything to do with Scott Mersereau(NT and NFL's strongest player 5 years running of the Jets) and Travis Tucker(TE Cleveland Browns) both from Southern. as well as UCLA transfer at Hofstra Alan Squire.(We beat them all in 85.)

I believe in 83 we were 5-5 or 4-6 and in 84 we were 6-4(We beat Ithaca in our first game in 84). For the record Sawchuck aka"Sawman" played RT. He was one of my off season workout partners and co bouncer at The Lamp Post. John was and is a very funny guy. Him and Tom Jacobs aka "Jake"(RG 5-11, 270lbs ) were the terrors of our team that year. They were the dynamic duo known as Jake and The Sawman based on an old sitcom called Jake and The Fat man. Trust me no one called Sawman fat. 6-1 250lbs he was the second strongest guy on our team. Jake was first and could bench well over 400 lbs. In fact his best was around 470. Myself, Charlie Guddemi, Ross Setlow,and Mike Moriarity split duty on the left side and Pat McCullough was the center. Anyways, I am off track here. IT IS GREAT NEWS THAT JOHHNY BOY DID NOT GET SERIOUSLY HURT! THANK GOD!!!! IT WOULD OF BEEN A HUGE LOSS IN THE PURPLE KINGDOM IF HE HAD!

Following year in 85 we won the ECAC Championship.