UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Athletic Home Events Live Coverage

uofalbany

Well, foxsports radio and TW3 cover some of our football and basketball games.

As for volleyball, we get gamewatcher live stats.

I don't believe we get ANY gamewatcher live stats for FIELD HOCKEY, MENS SOCCER, WOMENS SOCCER, BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL at home games. Ok, as for lacrosse, I assume this spring we will get live stats at least, but who knows.

Now, when are we going to get gamewatcher live stats for all of these games. How the heck are alumni to follow our teams, when we don't even have the most basic access to home games. With today's technology, I would assume some kind of remote acess to internet connectivity would be possible from all athletic field locations.

But, what I really want is getting 90.9 WCDB FM University Radio involved with our athletic department a tad bit more. I'm sure student broadcasters would cover all of these games. I'm sure the university could find capable people to do this. At the minimum, they could broadcast volleyball games and this spring, lacrosse, I would assume.

1.Who here can confirm that we could get remote connections with the STATS SERVER / INTERNET out on all of the athletic fields?

2.Anyone have any technical insight on radio broadcasting and its possibility at other university athletic events, including the fieldhocky field, softball field, soccer field, and softball field?

As for local media coverage, it's amazing how uninvolved they can be in the Capital District. You can't tell me that it's NOT worth sending a cameraman to the UAlbany UMass game to get video highlights. They'd rather talk about an LSU team that has nothing to do with our area, or our state for that matter, and waste our time. And how about sending a cameraman out to #19 field hockey and support a nationally top ranked team in Albany.

baseball doesn't have a telephone connection. I do remember them doing life events for softball during the AE tournament in the spring, so I think that could get done. Lacrosse coverage should be expanded now that they have telephone lines and a press box and JFF. field hockey could still be rough because there is no phone lines to alumni turf field that I know of.

As for WCDB, listen I tried my best when I was sports director there, and everyone on this board can tell you the same. Myself and Craig who is on this board thought we left the sports department in good shape when we graduated, but it has seemed to fail us, and we are both upset about that. When we were there, we covered all the volleyball home matches we could (i still have recordings of some of the best matches in school history at the D-I level), and tons of lacrosse games till they moved to JFF, which then we could only do road games. HECK, WE WERE THE EXCLUSIVE HOME OF UALBANY WOMEN'S BASKETBALL...THAT WAS CRAIG'S BABY! Now the women get nothing but home coverage, which we both are upset about.

I also blame part of WCDB for the death of the sports department at WCDB. They were set out to destroy the department, and as an ex-alumnus I am not afraid to say it. They wanted just music and zero sports or news on the station, and once craig and I were gone, they had their chance because those we left in charge became pushovers to their beliefs.

this is all I can say really. While some may bash media relations coverage of athletics, I will defend them to the ends of the earth, since I have seen how hard their jobs are. As an alumnus, I feel like I failed many of you for what seems to be no more at WCDB.

Thanks brother for the info.

I thought you were one of the radio guys on this board, but wasn't quite sure. Sounds like you were doing your part, and heading the athletics radio coverage in a positive direction, while at the University.

Although no phone lines, couldn't people establish wireless connections (wifi) and reach the same servers?

Do the politics inside the radio station itself overpower all, or would the university and athletic department be able to persuade radio management to cover all sports, if they stepped in?

Are you in radio now?

While some may bash media relations coverage of athletics, I will defend them to the ends of the earth, since I have seen how hard their jobs are. As an alumnus, I feel like I failed many of you for what seems to be no more at WCDB.

I'm not sure who you are talking about.... media relations in the AD?

Again, doesn't sound like you guys failed at anything. Sounds like you had it heading in the right direction.

It seems insane to me NOT to have complete sports coverage of all of our teams, especially because we are very successful at the D1 level in such a short period of time.

honestly, it is very rare you have every single team getting live audio/radio coverage...i mean very rare. If you ask me the big four should get full audio/radio coverage...men's lacrosse, football, and men's and women's bball...if you can get it for anything else, that is just a nice addition.

when I talk about media relations, I am talking about those in the AD.

listen, we are still a small speck on the world of college athletics. Just because sports have success, doesn't mean stuff should just happen. We aren't Michigan, Notre Dame or Ohio State who have dozens working in their departments and a budget 5x the size as UA's. We are a small school in a small conference.

honestly, it is very rare you have every single team getting live audio/radio coverage...i mean very rare. If you ask me the big four should get full audio/radio coverage...men's lacrosse, football, and men's and women's bball...if you can get it for anything else, that is just a nice addition.

when I talk about media relations, I am talking about those in the AD.

listen, we are still a small speck on the world of college athletics. Just because sports have success, doesn't mean stuff should just happen. We aren't Michigan, Notre Dame or Ohio State who have dozens working in their departments and a budget 5x the size as UA's. We are a small school in a small conference.

When I talk about complete sports coverage, I'm simply saying as much as possible through video, audio, and live stats (a virtual scoreboard). We could cover most sports events at home in one of those forms at least.

I don't see live stats taking a dozen employees and truckloads of equipment. If the one person who is imputing the scores during live stats can plug into a phone line to conduct the business, I'm sure they could do the same through a broadband connection. I guess the increase in resources needed would boil down to a broadband connection fee and a volunteer. Therefore, it really doesn't take anything to offer live stats during all of our home games. Damn, I'll volunteer to do live stats for some of the games if that's what it takes.

As for audio broadcasting, who makes the decisions to broadcast a home game? It sounds like the radio station has authority over itself. If we had pro-sports people in the radio station, would we be conducting broadcasts of our home games now? Who makes the decisions to broadcast, and out of curiosity, what does it take to broadcast over at the soccer field, like you used to do? More money, paid employees... or just volunteers, student broadcasters, and equipment the station already has? I'd bet we could get all volunteers to do audio broadcasts at home as well.

I know that our AD has alot on its plate.... and I believe more can be done, and it can be done now, in terms of home game coverage. And like I said, in at least live stats or audio. I'm a business owner. Superior effort, establishing lofty goals, and simply not being satisfied with mediocrity have helped my business grow and succeed. When there's something that should be done and can be done, it gets done. It doesn't always involve money or manpower. Of course, I'm refering to how things work with my business.

We are a university with 17000 students and compete in the America East and Northeast conference. With the success that we've had, we inspired and encourage alot of alumni to be interested in our sports teams. Our goals could include at least establishing that all of our home games get live stats, at the minimum.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread on this, so I thought it kinda fits here:

Siena's athletes scoring high

"* And last but not least, a shoutout to us over here at the TU: From September through this past May, the Times Union ran 323 stories related to Siena athletics. According to Siena, 133 of those stories appeared on the front page."

http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=947

Archived