UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Radio Sports Coverage WCDB 90.9 FM

uofalbany

Due to the lack of response on the other thread, I had to contact the radio station directly to get information.

'He' refers to Jon Wiener, current radio sports director at the radio station. He was asked what the process is when deciding to broadcast a home game....

1) He makes contact with the AD

2) If there is a game and he tells the program director in advance, the air is cleared for the games

3) Only Suny Albany Students or Alumni can broadcast

4) Recruiting is done through the online website www.wcdbfm.com and from tabling out side the CC

5) Cost of Broadcasting home games is Zero.

6) There is no budget this semester for away games.

Therefore, if any of you out there wish to volunteer and become a sports broadcaster, it looks as though its a possibility...

I'm waiting for answers for the following questions:

Can broadcasts be done on all of the athletics fields?

What would an alumnus need to do in order to become a broadcaster?

Jonathan Wiener - Radio Sports Director

jonwiener89@gmail.com

1400 Washington Avenue, CC 316

Albany, New York 12222

http://www.wcdbfm.com

there is never money for away games...but its called you get your butt there and do it. When I did the 2007 Women's Tournament from Binghamton, I drove to Binghamton for the first round and did the game, drove home that night, had class the next day and drove back to Binghamton to do the second round and then drove home that next night to do it.

for the Syracuse away games, I drove my ass up there. You make time!

at the same time, you talk to a team, like women's basketball, and they will help you out. I traveled with the team to certain away games (no games involving airplanes) to do games. you are helping the UA community! But you have to put effort in. If you do a good job, they will help you. You can ask Craig the same thing. You gotta bust your butt...

A few questions for the Past UAlbany Radio guys on this site, including greatdane06:

(damn it's hard to get information)

1. I was told that alumni can broadcast games for the university. Is this true?

2.What would an alumnus need to do to become a broadcaster with the station?

3. If you have the volunteers (broadcasters) to do them, is radio broadcasting possible from all of the athletic fields, including the field hockey field, soccer field, softball field?

4. If you have the volunteers (broadcasters) to do them, are there any limitations on the total number of games volunteers wish to cover (broadcast)?

5. dane06 mentioned he traveled to away games. If an alumnus wanted to cover a few away games, would that person be able to and would that person have approval to take the equipment from the radio station?

6. Exactly what equipment would the volunteers (broadcasters) need to conduct a broadcast, from either home or away games?

A few questions for the Past UAlbany Radio guys on this site, including greatdane06:

3. If you have the volunteers (broadcasters) to do them, is radio broadcasting possible from all of the athletic fields, including the field hockey field, soccer field, softball field?

4. If you have the volunteers (broadcasters) to do them, are there any limitations on the total number of games volunteers wish to cover (broadcast)?

5. dane06 mentioned he traveled to away games. If an alumnus wanted to cover a few away games, would that person be able to and would that person have approval to take the equipment from the radio station?

6. Exactly what equipment would the volunteers (broadcasters) need to conduct a broadcast, from either home or away games?

1. i think you can, but they prefer students

2. go to the station website, they tell you

3. no. there is no phone lines to field hockey, baseball, soccer or softball (at least that what it was when I left) and the station doesn't have wireless connection equipment, unless you use a cell phone, which is not cool

4. usually we let the AD know which games we want to do, and most of the time they let us do it. However, there are some games that have tons of media and there may not be enough room (example - we almost couldn't do the AE Championship in '06, but we got a spot). However, the station has control over how many games when it is all said and done. That is why they found a way to kill our department. I had to fight to get live broadcasts of games because all the station wanted was radio. Then I had agree to give up what was our regular in-studio Saturday show to people I took time from.

5. Yea you can take the radio equipment, but once again it is up the the station if they let you do it. You also have to pay your way. Luckily, the women's basketball team was glad to take us with them on away games (only the one's that involved bus trips, no airplane trips) and put us up in hotels. They saw it as getting coverage and allowing parents and potential recruits to listen to games. However, some sports, it is hard to travel with, like lacrosse, because there are so many people that need to travel with them (medical staff, much m ore equipment etc...). Those sports you have to find your own way to get to the games.

6. They have a regular radio equipment, sound board, that you take. You have to plug in the phone line and you have to dial from it. You can control the volume, but you have to have a person in studio to go to commercials etc...(that is also to tough part...getting a producer in studio who knows what they are doing). You also need to have a dial out code from the university because most away games they don't let you dial out, but you have to dial in. However, home games, all you have to dial is a 442 extension and that is no big deal.

hope that is what you were looking for.

1. i think you can, but they prefer students

2. go to the station website, they tell you

3. no. there is no phone lines to field hockey, baseball, soccer or softball (at least that what it was when I left) and the station doesn't have wireless connection equipment, unless you use a cell phone, which is not cool

4. usually we let the AD know which games we want to do, and most of the time they let us do it. However, there are some games that have tons of media and there may not be enough room (example - we almost couldn't do the AE Championship in '06, but we got a spot). However, the station has control over how many games when it is all said and done. That is why they found a way to kill our department. I had to fight to get live broadcasts of games because all the station wanted was radio. Then I had agree to give up what was our regular in-studio Saturday show to people I took time from.

5. Yea you can take the radio equipment, but once again it is up the the station if they let you do it. You also have to pay your way. Luckily, the women's basketball team was glad to take us with them on away games (only the one's that involved bus trips, no airplane trips) and put us up in hotels. They saw it as getting coverage and allowing parents and potential recruits to listen to games. However, some sports, it is hard to travel with, like lacrosse, because there are so many people that need to travel with them (medical staff, much m ore equipment etc...). Those sports you have to find your own way to get to the games.

6. They have a regular radio equipment, sound board, that you take. You have to plug in the phone line and you have to dial from it. You can control the volume, but you have to have a person in studio to go to commercials etc...(that is also to tough part...getting a producer in studio who knows what they are doing). You also need to have a dial out code from the university because most away games they don't let you dial out, but you have to dial in. However, home games, all you have to dial is a 442 extension and that is no big deal.

hope that is what you were looking for.

Thanks. That's alot of quality information.

That's got to be a friction filled chore to request game/broadcast time. It's still worth the aggrevation, its great publicity / exposure for the University and AD, and great for parents of athletes, alumni, and UA fans.

The lack of coverage was a concern that me and Jordan had discussed last spring. I had since moved back to CT and am willing to help out in any way possible. The WCDB 30th is homecoming weekend and I was hoping to make some contacts then and at least try to get Womens BBall organized again. Away games should be too much trouble if the teams brought the radio equipment on the Bus and I, Jordan or whoever met the teams there. Women's BBall is something that NEEDS TO BE COVERED!!!

Archived