UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

State of NY Hoops

It's just someone's rankings but I'll take 8th best in the state (for now - watch out Marist and St. John's!) If you had told me when we went DI that by 2008 someone other than an Albany fan would say we have a better program than Fordham, St. Bonaventure and Iona I would have said you were on crack.

I think the day will arrive, probably sooner rather than later, where we are consistently in the top 5 on that list, and even top 3 from time to time. Gotta figure Syracuse has a lock for the time being at #1, but beyond that, it's anyone's game for #2 most years.

And I don't necessarily agree with the order of the school's on that list. Wasn't Marist picked for 10th or last place in the MAAC this year? Now, for some reason, they are #6 on that list? I don't think so.

IMHO, the author of that list is partial to the MAAC. Too many MAAC schools on that list are too high. I don't agree with St. Bonna being so low either. And Buffalo, while not always great in the MAC, generally could do okay against a lot of the teams on that list on conference strength and recruits alone (IMHO).

To be honest, I'm not sure we're even deserving of a ranking as high as #8 for this year (I would love to be wrong).

What is everyone else's thoughts on that "State of New York" list? Just curious!

Is it possible to make a poll where we can arrange our own top 22 teams for NY and then see who got the closest at the end of the year? :) ?

......based mostly on recent success (the last five years) mixed in with subjective factors.....

Nice job of ranking and it's suppose to be over the last 5 years plus subjective factors.

It's interesting and we should rank in the top 5 annually soon but its just more opinion based info like "PoopScoop" or "Rivals" how do you rate players # 200-500? Ans. subjective opinion - Most of the players have not been observed diligently and alot is by hearsay and doing the politically correct thing for the publisher.

But for hoop fanatics they keep your interest in the off season.

I think the day will arrive, probably sooner rather than later, where we are consistently in the top 5 on that list, and even top 3 from time to time. Gotta figure Syracuse has a lock for the time being at #1, but beyond that, it's anyone's game for #2 most years.

And I don't necessarily agree with the order of the school's on that list. Wasn't Marist picked for 10th or last place in the MAAC this year? Now, for some reason, they are #6 on that list? I don't think so.

IMHO, the author of that list is partial to the MAAC. Too many MAAC schools on that list are too high. I don't agree with St. Bonna being so low either. And Buffalo, while not always great in the MAC, generally could do okay against a lot of the teams on that list on conference strength and recruits alone (IMHO).

To be honest, I'm not sure we're even deserving of a ranking as high as #8 for this year (I would love to be wrong).

What is everyone else's thoughts on that "State of New York" list? Just curious!

Is it possible to make a poll where we can arrange our own top 22 teams for NY and then see who got the closest at the end of the year? :) ?

I think the ranking is appropriate, this ranking is taking into account recent history (5 years or so) we went back to back to the big dance and have not had a losing season in 3 years, two of the last three seasons were 20+ win seasons. Who would you put ahead of Albany?

Archived