UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple and Gold Scrimmage...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

know we have a whole other topic for starting lineup projections, but we got onto it over here, so I'll just throw my 2 cents in...

Johnson

Ambrose

Harris

Connelly

Giff

Granted, I wasn't at the scrimmage as I noted before, but based on the reports I heard from you guys and what I have seen in the past, that's the lineup I would guess...

You guys see a lot more live action than I do - I only was able to attend 2 games last year.

Does it seem to anyone that Ambrose has a lot more street talent than organized ball talent? From what I observe I think he seems to be more of an improviser than an x and o player. At one of the games I attended he seemed very constricted and almost confused playing by the numbers, as we fell behind. When we began to catch up in a feverish, rapid transition final 5-6 minutes, he was on his own and began to do things a lot more naturally. Baskets fell, he took chances, his 'playground' personality seemed to kick in.

Anybody agree with that, or am I way off?

You guys see a lot more live action than I do - I only was able to attend 2 games last year.

Does it seem to anyone that Ambrose has a lot more street talent than organized ball talent? From what I observe I think he seems to be more of an improviser than an x and o player. At one of the games I attended he seemed very constricted and almost confused playing by the numbers, as we fell behind. When we began to catch up in a feverish, rapid transition final 5-6 minutes, he was on his own and began to do things a lot more naturally. Baskets fell, he took chances, his 'playground' personality seemed to kick in.

Anybody agree with that, or am I way off?

King,

Yes...hence the reason for him not playing at times last season. Coach wanted him play within the offense and more importantly play sound defense within the team structure and he struggled with it. Not that he was unwilling but he needed to learn how to play the team game. Coach commented a number of times on the fact that Timmy has been working hard and that he has been coming in on his own time to study tape with the coaches and LEARN what is required of him to play the team/structured game. So he's a good kid who by the looks of it was allowed to do what ever he wanted at the high school level and that didn't always translate well to D1 hoops.

Now that the offense has been opened up a bit more I look for him to be able to use his creativity a bit more as the leash shouldn't be as short for him as in the past. Plus, he will undoubtedly mature as he gains experience.

From my vantage point Tim's offense is of no or little concern. Defensively he was lost, in HS it seemed to be this is your man now at this level you have to read situations like screens. G to G swithch, G to F get through or go behind, when to switch and when not too.

It's just very complicated for someone who never was exposed to it. In HS some teams just play basic zone or token man to man, to stay out of trouble especially if they have the fire power to usually outscore their opponent.

Just my view

Archived