UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bingo Player Suspended, as reported on America Least Website

Is this a joke? Am I missing something? This is too insane to be true, no?

Basketball player suspended pending resolution of alleged assault at Walmart

VESTAL -- Binghamton University basketball player Malik Alvin has been suspended from the men's team until legal matters related to an incident last month at Wal-Mart are resolved.

Vestal police have charged Alvin, 20, with third-degree assault, a misdemeanor, after an alleged incident with a Wal-Mart employee who police said confronted Alvin for alleging leaving the store without paying for a box of condoms.

Alvin appeared last Thursday in Vestal town court to hear the charge against him, according to Vestal police.

Alvin is listed on the 2008-09 roster as a junior, 6-feet tall, 165 pounds, from Philadelphia, Pa., who transferred to BU from Chipola College, a community college in Florida. As a freshman, Alvin played at the University of Texas-El Paso, a Division I school.

When the matter is resolved, Alvin may apply for reinstatement, according to John Hartrick, associate athletic director for communications.

Looks legit to me....honestly I feel a bit bad for the BUNY fans. I'm sure a good number of them have been holding their collective breath's hoping nothing negative happens/comes out. We haven't even played any games yet and the program is already showing signs of distress. For their fans....(and the AE) I feel bad....for Little Tough Guy...."If they could, they would".....hmmmm...good thing we didn't!

EDIT: If this drags on or if he is not reinstated, coupled with the fact that Theo will not be eligible 'till the second half of the season, they could be in for a rough year...big blow to them at least until this is resolved. They lost Gordon, Lazar and Forbes, their top three scorers from last season.

I don't feel bad for them! So is there anyway our school could sponsor a "Safe-Sex" or "Sex-Education Night" on the night we host Binghamton? Perhaps CDPHP can help sponsor a give-away that night as fans who are so inclined receive one free condom and flyers distributed warning about the danger of STDs, etc., and the danger of not paying for condoms at Walmart? :)

Boisy: Was Alvin an important recruit for Bingo?

I don't feel bad for them! So is there anyway our school could sponsor a "Safe-Sex" or "Sex-Education Night" on the night we host Binghamton? Perhaps CDPHP can help sponsor a give-away that night as fans who are so inclined receive one free condom and flyers distributed warning about the danger of STDs, etc., and the danger of not paying for condoms at Walmart? :)

Apparently he was looking to engage in safe sex....just didn't want to pony up the cash money for the protection.....allegedly!

Boisy: Was Alvin an important recruit for Bingo?

By all accounts...yes he was. He led all freshmen in Conference USA in scoring (8ppg) and averaged 4.4 assists. For a freshmen those are good numbers in that conference.

And Bingo was in need of guards this year as well with Gordon graduating, I think.

Yes...Gordon graduated, some other important guys either transferred or graduated. I would like to just add...that while we might not feel any particular pain for Bing and even less for their coach, this hurts the AE conference. We are collectively only as good as each individual piece!

And Bingo was in need of guards this year as well with Gordon graduating, I think.

And forgive my diatribe here, but what's wrong with whoever the (wo)man is who was allegedly with a guy who allegedy had to steal of box of condoms. And then, who punches the employee at that point? At least apologize profusely and pay for them, or fregin run away as fast as you can if that's your criminal style. But to allegedly punch the employee? LOL

Where did you see that he punched anyone...for all we know it could have been a shove or something like that. Or even a bump and cries of pain from an overzealous employee. I think it's important to wait (on judgment) and have the authorities sort this one out. I'm speaking more to the point that he will not be with the team in games or practice thus that hurts Bing and by extension the AEC.

Very good point, Boisy. And you are keeping your eye on the big picture.

I can't help the fact, though, that a part of me is ready and willing to sacrifice Conference RPI for a story like this at Bingo.

I hope the employee is okay, and you're right about whether he allegedly punched the employee. First, he is presumed innocent, and second, an assault is much more broad of a term than what we usually define as a punch. So, you're right, it could have been a "shove," etc. But it also seems to me that the statute requires a "physical injury" of some sort, however minor.

New York State Penal Code S 120.00. Assault in the third degree.

A person is guilty of assault in the third degree when:

1. With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes

such injury to such person or to a third person; or

2. He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or

3. With criminal negligence, he causes physical injury to another

person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument.

Assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

I can't help the fact, though, that a part of me is ready and willing to sacrifice Conference RPI for a story like this at Bingo. But I hope the employee is okay.

The only question I have is, if in fact he did push or bump the employee (trying to not think of the worst) did he get any training on the art of pushing/shoving from his coach? :P I often hear coaches don't only teach basketball and on court skills but also life skills!

I can't help the fact, though, that a part of me is ready and willing to sacrifice Conference RPI for a story like this at Bingo. But I hope the employee is okay.

The only question I have is, if in fact he did push or bump the employee (trying to not think of the worst) did he get any training on the art of pushing/shoving from his coach? :P I often hear coaches don't only teach basketball and on court skills but also life skills!

Oh man, lol!

"It sounds as though UAlbany will have more luck with Harris than its two SUNY brethren are having with their own transfers.

Stony Brook center Desmond Adedji, who came from the University of Dayton, was charged with driving while intoxicated on Sunday morning.

Over at Binghamton, guard Malik Alvin has been suspended from the team after being arrested last month for third-degree assault. Alvin played as a freshman at Texas-El Paso."

This is what Mark from the TU had to say in his latest blog.....all I can think of as I read about Alvin is that pompous a$$ of a coach saying...."if they could, they would"....glad we did but we invested our time and resources in bringing an upstanding young man to our program...The entire blog entry was about Will, this bit was just at the bottom.

Archived