UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Track & Field at NCAA Championships

All four have qualified for the next round - two for the finals.

Fayetteville, Ark. – University at Albany’s Luke Schoen reached the men's pole vault final and Alie Beauvais and Joe Greene each advanced to the men’s 400-meter intermediate hurdles semifinals at the NCAA Division I Track and Field Championships on Wednesday, June 10 at the University of Arkansas’ John McDonnell Field. UAlbany sent a program-high four student-athletes to the national competition.

Schoen, an indoor and outdoor All-American who missed nearly the entire month of May due to a hamstring injury suffered at Penn Relays, cleared 17-feet, 2.75-inches to advance to the final of the pole vault for the second consecutive year. He will compete against 13 other student-athletes on Friday at 4:45 p.m. Eastern.

“I warmed up about three times as much as I normally do,” said Schoen, who almost pulled his hamstring again on one of his first accelerations while warming up. “I cleared the first height on my third attempt, but I was able to make the third height on my first try to advance to the final. It feels good. I am much more confident going into the final than last year since I know all the guys.”

Beauvais, who was an at-large selection based on his second-place performance at the IC4A championship, won the opening heat of the 400-meter hurdles in 50.41 seconds. Beauvais, whose mark was the fourth-fastest time of the day, is in his first season with the UAlbany program. A native of Hempstead, N.Y., he transferred from Lincoln University in Missouri.

“This was my first appearance (at NCAAs), but I went in thinking that this was just a regular track meet,” explained Beauvais, who trailed Nebraska’s Kirkland Thornton for most of the race before catching him on the final straightaway. “The runner ahead of me (Thornton) was moving fast, but I stayed in control. Coming towards the end of the race, I picked it up and focused on getting over that last hurdle to finish strong. I did not get to warm up the way I wanted to, but I finished first. I am really excited about tomorrow and the opportunity to get to the finals.”

Greene, a 2007 All-American in the 400-hurdles, advanced to the semifinal for the third time in four years. He was clocked in at 50.73 seconds to finish second in the event's final first-round qualifying heat and post the tenth-best mark of the day. Beauvais and Greene will run in the semifinals on Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern. In addition, Ricardo Estremera's 3,000-meter steeplechase preliminary race has been delayed due to weather and was not scheduled until later this evening.

Just in: Ricardo Estremera broke his own school record in the 3000m steeplechase (8:48.72) to finish 8th in his heat and qualify for the Finals on Friday. This is amazing since it is his first National Championship and his event was delayed 3 hours due to severe thunderstorms. His race finally went off at 10:30pm (11:30pm Eastern Time) and he was wet, tired and hungry after the long delay. Before the race he re-focused, put the obstacles behind him and was determined to give it his best. He certainly accomplished this and it was exciting to find out that he was the final qualifier to the Finals and will run with the top 14 steeplechasers in the Nation. Our “Fantastic Four” represented UAlbany with class and tremendous pride. It is incredible that all four moved on in the competition and are all in the top 14 in the Country in their perspective events. It was truly a Great Day to be a Great Dane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-agate-

400-Meter Intermediate Hurdles (First Round): 4. Alie Beauvais 50.21, 10. Joe Greene 50.73. Pole Vault (Qualifying): T-6. Luke Schoen 17-2.75.

Full Results

All four have qualified for the next round - two for the finals.

Fayetteville, Ark. – University at Albany’s Luke Schoen reached the men's pole vault final and Alie Beauvais and Joe Greene each advanced to the men’s 400-meter intermediate hurdles semifinals at the NCAA Division I Track and Field Championships on Wednesday, June 10 at the University of Arkansas’ John McDonnell Field. UAlbany sent a program-high four student-athletes to the national competition.

Schoen, an indoor and outdoor All-American who missed nearly the entire month of May due to a hamstring injury suffered at Penn Relays, cleared 17-feet, 2.75-inches to advance to the final of the pole vault for the second consecutive year. He will compete against 13 other student-athletes on Friday at 4:45 p.m. Eastern.

“I warmed up about three times as much as I normally do,” said Schoen, who almost pulled his hamstring again on one of his first accelerations while warming up. “I cleared the first height on my third attempt, but I was able to make the third height on my first try to advance to the final. It feels good. I am much more confident going into the final than last year since I know all the guys.”

Beauvais, who was an at-large selection based on his second-place performance at the IC4A championship, won the opening heat of the 400-meter hurdles in 50.41 seconds. Beauvais, whose mark was the fourth-fastest time of the day, is in his first season with the UAlbany program. A native of Hempstead, N.Y., he transferred from Lincoln University in Missouri.

“This was my first appearance (at NCAAs), but I went in thinking that this was just a regular track meet,” explained Beauvais, who trailed Nebraska’s Kirkland Thornton for most of the race before catching him on the final straightaway. “The runner ahead of me (Thornton) was moving fast, but I stayed in control. Coming towards the end of the race, I picked it up and focused on getting over that last hurdle to finish strong. I did not get to warm up the way I wanted to, but I finished first. I am really excited about tomorrow and the opportunity to get to the finals.”

Greene, a 2007 All-American in the 400-hurdles, advanced to the semifinal for the third time in four years. He was clocked in at 50.73 seconds to finish second in the event's final first-round qualifying heat and post the tenth-best mark of the day. Beauvais and Greene will run in the semifinals on Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern. In addition, Ricardo Estremera's 3,000-meter steeplechase preliminary race has been delayed due to weather and was not scheduled until later this evening.

Just in: Ricardo Estremera broke his own school record in the 3000m steeplechase (8:48.72) to finish 8th in his heat and qualify for the Finals on Friday. This is amazing since it is his first National Championship and his event was delayed 3 hours due to severe thunderstorms. His race finally went off at 10:30pm (11:30pm Eastern Time) and he was wet, tired and hungry after the long delay. Before the race he re-focused, put the obstacles behind him and was determined to give it his best. He certainly accomplished this and it was exciting to find out that he was the final qualifier to the Finals and will run with the top 14 steeplechasers in the Nation. Our “Fantastic Four” represented UAlbany with class and tremendous pride. It is incredible that all four moved on in the competition and are all in the top 14 in the Country in their perspective events. It was truly a Great Day to be a Great Dane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-agate-

400-Meter Intermediate Hurdles (First Round): 4. Alie Beauvais 50.21, 10. Joe Greene 50.73. Pole Vault (Qualifying): T-6. Luke Schoen 17-2.75.

Full Results

I watched Ricardo's race live (http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=129515) and it was exciting to see him slowly move up in a race that was clearly more stacked. He ran solo the majority of the way.

Great Job Danes!

Finals today scheduled at 4:45 for the pole vault, 7:40 steeplechase, and 9:05 for the 400 IMH. However at this time (12:30 EDT) the CBS access screen says there's a weather delay so everything may be pushed back.

Estremera finished 11th at 8:51:50, less than 3 sec. off his school record of Wednesday. He pretty much trailed the pack for the first five laps, passing one guy who fell at a jump, but must have come on at the end. The field really stretched out in the last two laps.

Winning time was 8:29:24

Congratulations to these and all of our track and field athletes. It is simply amazing what they have accomplished often in anonymity in such a short period of time as a D1 program. They have routinely beaten some of the best known and long established programs in the country.

Archived