UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Akong - NYC vs. LI game MVP walking on at UA

Sorry its a little late, but this is a post-game article from teh Outback Bowl (NYC vs. LI allstars)

Photo caption says he's going to walk-on for football and run track.

http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=3326

td_run-web.jpg

HEMPSTEAD, L.I. – He wasn’t even supposed to play.

But when Sheepshead Bay’s Ayo Isijola bowed out, Tristan Akong got a chance and he made the most of it.

The senior from St. Francis Prep had nine carries for a team-high 97 yards, including a 50-yard touchdown, to earn New York City MVP honors in the Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge Tuesday night.

New York City fell to Long Island, 31-14, in front of 8,224 at Hofstra University’s Shuart Stadium, but the final score meant little to the Queens native.

“I’m definitely surprised,” Akong said of receiving the MVP award. “I wasn’t expecting this. I just came here to have fun, wasn’t expecting to have a lot of runs because we had a three-man rotation. When I did have a chance, I did as much as I can.”

That chance came in the second half with New York City trailing 24-0. Earlier in the game, Akong shared carries with Curtis’ Naykwan Johnson and Seamus Kelly from Xavier.

“He came to play,” said Holy Cross coach Tom Pugh, NYC’s running backs coach. “This is a game of speed and when you have the best players on Long Island against the city, you can’t pick and chose your holes. You need to run and he can run.”

Akong will play at the University of Albany next year, but for now he’s basking in the glow of playing in the prestigious Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge, of meeting Boomer Esiason and being presented the MVP award on the dais at midfield after the game.

“I didn’t expect to get on the stage,” Akong said. “But I just wanted to thank him for putting all this together and inviting me down to play.”

looks like a great pick up..its going to be interesting seeing the RB development after McCarty + Gannon are gone.

Very true. We've been incredibly spoiled at the RB position. Gary Jones and then McCarty, both of which had great depth behind them (Jon George and Rohann Vidal for Jones and Gannon, Omar Johnson, Colin Simmons for McCarty).

I have a feeling though that the offense will move to a more QB-oriented spread attack with Andrew Smith at QB.

I like the smashmouth attack we employ. I know we will need a new workhorse once McCarty has graduated. This Paul Booker kid was a great running back in HS if my memory is correct. I would love to see a 6'4 230lbs RB. Think Eric Dickerson. Run him behind five 300 pounders and 2 TE's that are 250+ ....Now were talkin!!!! I know people want excitement, but I will take 5 yards and a cloud of dust on every down. Especially if we are going to continue to play these OOC games being underfunded scholarship wise. Ball control/smashmouth football keeps explosive full scholarship offenses off the field, all the while the clock is moving.

Yes I am a big fan of Bill Parcells and Chuck Knox..aka "Ground Chuck"

Well for one-- he probably wanted to run track and play football. Cant do that at many places. For two...is he on an T&F ride? For three...my city sources tell me his scouting report is accurate and he was a late bloomer. Not great breakaway speed...needs to keep the legs moving..etc.

Sounds a lot like McCarty...except for the legs moving part.

Archived