UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Chip package facility

Clickclack

TU Story

More good news on NANO....additional investment into UA of $50mil. How much more space do they have there to build?

Great news!

Is this the same chip commercialization facility that was mentioned last summer or a completely new announcement? If you recall former Sen Bruno said there would be a $50M packaging facility "upstate" and probaly in New York. Is this just the decison on "upstate" or is this new?

Between Global Foundires and all these companies working there it's time they pont up some dough for the the old alma mater. How about Global Foundries Business School? Maybe IBM Stadium? They need to keep up the community relations and advertising. By which I mean I want a stadium that is nicer than Compton High.

TU Story

More good news on NANO....additional investment into UA of $50mil. How much more space do they have there to build?

Great news!

Is this the same chip commercialization facility that was mentioned last summer or a completely new announcement? If you recall former Sen Bruno said there would be a $50M packaging facility "upstate" and probaly in New York. Is this just the decison on "upstate" or is this new?

Between Global Foundires and all these companies working there it's time they pont up some dough for the the old alma mater. How about Global Foundries Business School? Maybe IBM Stadium? They need to keep up the community relations and advertising. By which I mean I want a stadium that is nicer than Compton High.

Compton High probably has better football facilities then we do

TU Story

Great news!

If they had any grass they definitely would:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&...3&encType=1

TU Story

Great news!

If they had any grass they definitely would:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&...3&encType=1

LOLZZZZ....who took the grass?

I am surprised no one here has brought up any concern with the SUNYIT site being rewarded with the Computer Chip Commercialization Center. This story from the Utica O-D urked me:

Nanotech Now

The Marcy Site was passed over for potential chip-fab plants and other types of advanced manufacturing initiatives. There are obvious disadvantages at that site or something would have caught the eye of private investment. No luck there, so they lobby the state to pony up to get something going. Why do politicians from areas without public research universities seek to use the resources of SUNY for economic development purposes? Officials portraying a connection between SUNYIT and this center are full of it. The school is student-oriented, not research-oriented. Why couldn't it be built near the chip site in Malta, or the Harriman campus when they choose a plan for it's redevelopment into a multi-use center of tech companies and people? If UA had to take on a suitable partner it would make more sense to have built this facility in tandem with UA and RPI, since RPI actually knows research, unlike SUNYIT.

It was right for UA to gain the Nano College and all the COE research centers because these institutions fit with UA and the 'Tech Valley' successes. Likewise, UB's COE is a perfect fit with the schools' medical schools and Buffalo's existing medical research institutions. It's one thing when research institutions collaborate (such as UA being the lead center of the CATN2 consortium, working with SBU, BU, and Yeshiva). But when an important research investment is plopped down hours outside of Upstate's epicenter of Nano and computer-science agglomeration, Tech Valley, how does that leverage the full strength of what is widely being noticed in Albany's efforts to become a center of tech? There needs to be a strong agglomeration of investment and talent within Tech Valley to reach it's full potential. Losing 475 jobs to a 2nd-class site without an adjacent research institution is a disservice to that effort, and jobs for Albany.

You can see many comments from readers in the O-D story. Someone complains that SUNYIT is 'repressed' by the 4 SUNY Centers, an opinion based on paranoia. Another notes that simply putting one building in Utica will not overcome the area's disadvantages when attracting prospective companies, above Albany and Syracuse. That comment is right on.

Note: I have nothing against Utica. My maternal family is from the area, and my wife is from New Hartford.

Archived