UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

At last, UAlbany makes it to the college football video gaming world:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/ncaafoo...create_a_school

In the search menu, type "Albany."

NCAA Football (EA Sports) was released yesterday, July 14, 2009, for all (or most) video-game platforms---e.g., XBox 360, Playstation 3, PC.

Note how Appalachian State leads all schools in America with already 1698 downloads (Miami at #2 with 468). I will be downloading (and eventually uploading) the UAlbany data later, to become one of several to already do so.

Like it or not (or whether one enjoys video games or not), an interest in our fan base and marketing generally should include a focus or interest in video games---or at least be keenly aware of what's going on with and within them insofar as our school is concerned! :)

At last, UAlbany makes it to the college football video gaming world:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/ncaafoo...create_a_school

In the search menu, type "Albany."

NCAA Football (EA Sports) was released yesterday, July 14, 2009, for all (or most) video-game platforms---e.g., XBox 360, Playstation 3, PC.

Note how Appalachian State leads all schools in America with already 1698 downloads (Miami at #2 with 468). I will be downloading (and eventually uploading) the UAlbany data later, to become one of several to already do so.

Like it or not (or whether one enjoys video games or not), an interest in our fan base and marketing generally should include a focus or interest in video games---or at least be keenly aware of what's going on with and within them insofar as our school is concerned! :)

I got the game and will be doing this....thanks for the heads up.

I might grab this one! EDIT: Sorry can't do a direct link to it, there are a couple of different versions, which one you gonna get?

Browsing through the list of New York schools (the best way to find UAlbany), it's fun to see other (and SUNY) schools created for football, such as SUNY Brockport, Binghamton (?! Soccer perhaps??), Michigan (huh?! NY?!), Hudson Valley C.C. (nice!), NY Tech, Marist, Stonybrook, and my favorite, the "Harlem Skoalmints."

Boisy (and any other gamers who are interested) (I would have PM'ed you, but, of course, that is not an option right now):

For those who picked up NCAA 2010, I wanted to get some feedback and general thoughts to the extent there are any.

I. Uniforms

When replicating UAlbany's uniforms, I crafted the uniforms using images from current football photos from last season (i.e., type UAlbany football in google, and then search for images), and I used pictures of University Field to help with the field. I was careful to get the stripes and colors on the uniforms right (i.e., the shoulder stripes don't go all the way around; they stop at the edge of the shoulder padding), and I even put on the NEC logo on the uniforms on the front right shoulder.

The one thing that is driving me nuts was that I couldn't find the purple-colored "UAlbany" text that appears on our uniforms right above the sternum. It's in small letters, but if you look closely on the uniforms, you'll see it. It's below the neck and above the numbers, and the word "UAlbany is somewhat curved. I wasn't able to find a .jpg of that anywhere, but apparently one gamer ("Benny Smallz") did (picture attached) and did a great job at the uniforms.

II. University Field

I constructed University Fielid a bit different by adding the "NEC" Conference logo on the 20-yard lines (and a large UAlbany school logo at midfield), but I think that adds some jazz to our otherwise plain-looking field. Haven't decided if I want to deviate yet from our endzones and make them solid purple or yellow with UAlbany and Great Danes in opposite end zones (yellow/purple letters).

III. Roster

I'm almost finished with the roster as well, at least insofar as the offense is concerned. There are more players on this year's roster than the game will allow for, so I left off a couple freshman who will likely redshirt this year and/or don't even have pictures up yet for our roster's on the UA Athletics website. I read through all the bios on the UA website for the roster, and projected, where necessary, where the certain players would be on the depth chart, etc.

I probably altered a couple of our players with too much favorable bias (what's wrong with McCarty being the top HB in all of college football with a rating of 99?), but, hey, that's why it's a video game. :)

Of note, it's obvious that Albany and other "I-AA" schools were anticipated in this game because Lee Corso often says "Great Danes" and, e.g., "McCarty" during the game. It's pretty cool. :)

IV. Other Ratings

I was probably a bit too generous on the initial "Recruiting Pitches" and ratings for UAlbany, so I modified them somewhat (e.g., athletic facilities from C+ to D; television exposure from C+ to D; Pro Factory B to C; and so forth).

These recruiting pitches are important in the game because the higher one's ratings are, the better recruits one can sign (makes sense, right?). By winning games, these ratings, of course, go up in the game. The recruiting aspect of the game is an entire game to itself, which I very much enjoy.

Anyone interested in seeing the fruits of my labor, see below for the pictures.

Finally, although some old timers may find this all very bizarre and nothing but a strange use of time, especially for a young professional like myself, they may be right. But, regardless of our collective understanding as to how all of this video-game stuff works, it is nonetheless a form of marketing and, in essence, free advertising. Kids from all over the country play with these teams (and play each other online with these teams). Indeed, when I was young, I often learned the names and players in professional and college sports by playing video games (one learns which players are good at what and the gamers eventually develop favorite players within the game, etc.). I hope in the next few years that all of the FCS schools will find themselves in the game when the game is released (as opposed to a post-release user-created team, such is the case discussed herein).

... looking forward to NCAA Basketball 2010 (the video game) to be released later this year ... stay tuned!

albanybennysmallz.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived