UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

VC Pregame Dinner/Coaches

alum73

This is a reminder that the coaches club lunch which was changed to a pregame dinner is tomorrow at 5:30. It is free to varsity club members, but you must register for the event. Dr. McElroy, Coach Vives and Marr will be speaking. I believe it's $20 for non varsity club members.

Call 442-3080 to register. The on-line registration is no longer available.

I was fortunate to attend the dinner tonight (along with about fifty other supporters), and I was delighted with the program. The food was very good and the program was well presented.

MacElroy spoke first. Relatively brief, and not much information that we did not already know, but he did mention that news was going to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Vives was very animated and gregarious. He mentioned how our 4X800 relay had the fastest time in the country and that they were one of only four college teams to be invited to the prestigious Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden where they will complete in front of 17,000 spectators. He also mentioned that UConn was so upset that we beat them in the IC4 meet last year that they challenged us to a dual meet in Connecticut. Battle of the dogs....

Marr seemed very well put together, and spoke extensively about the family and community values that he witnesses and encourages at the university. He made a reference to the #1 junior Thompson player, and then questioned aloud if he could comment on it, and also mentioned how Syracuse is now going VERY hard after James Cathers (I believe that is the player) to try to get back some of the recruiting mojo. He also mentioned that once word of the Thompson signings got out that 10-12 players called them to say that they wanted to play lacrosse with those kids. Cool stuff.

Both coaches mentioned how they want to face the best competition to provide a challenge for their student athletes.

Warren encouraged us all to find more people to join the Varsity Club, which makes good sense. If you are not a member give them a call. Programs like tonight make it worthwhile.

An enjoyable night, and then tip-off happened. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

I was fortunate to attend the dinner tonight (along with about fifty other supporters), and I was delighted with the program. The food was very good and the program was well presented.

MacElroy spoke first. Relatively brief, and not much information that we did not already know, but he did mention that news was going to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Vives was very animated and gregarious. He mentioned how our 4X800 relay had the fastest time in the country and that they were one of only four college teams to be invited to the prestigious Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden where they will complete in front of 17,000 spectators. He also mentioned that UConn was so upset that we beat them in the IC4 meet last year that they challenged us to a dual meet in Connecticut. Battle of the dogs....

Marr seemed very well put together, and spoke extensively about the family and community values that he witnesses and encourages at the university. He made a reference to the #1 junior Thompson player, and then questioned aloud if he could comment on it, and also mentioned how Syracuse is now going VERY hard after James Cathers (I believe that is the player) to try to get back some of the recruiting mojo. He also mentioned that once word of the Thompson signings got out that 10-12 players called them to say that they wanted to play lacrosse with those kids. Cool stuff.

Both coaches mentioned how they want to face the best competition to provide a challenge for their student athletes.

Warren encouraged us all to find more people to join the Varsity Club, which makes good sense. If you are not a member give them a call. Programs like tonight make it worthwhile.

An enjoyable night, and then tip-off happened. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the info!

One think MacElroy talked about was the football program and how we are going to wait to see how things shake out in terms of conferences and long-term standing.

I didn't think of it at the time, but why do we always have to take a wait and see approach? Why can't we ever push the issue ourselves?

I realize a lot happens behind closed doors that I am not privy to, but I don't pick up any aggressive and proactive vibe. Does anybody else?

One think MacElroy talked about was the football program and how we are going to wait to see how things shake out in terms of conferences and long-term standing.

I didn't think of it at the time, but why do we always have to take a wait and see approach? Why can't we ever push the issue ourselves?

I realize a lot happens behind closed doors that I am not privy to, but I don't pick up any aggressive and proactive vibe. Does anybody else?

Unfortunately Haggy I don't think there are any options to be proactive about right now.

The only real hope we have for the CAA is if URI wants to swap conferences or the CAA picks up Charlotte for the Southern Division and wants to add a Northern team.

The other option is the Big South, but we missed the boat on that one, IMO.

Other than that we'd be looking at an Indy status, which wouldn't be good.

The thing that McElroy should be proactive about is getting the NEC to lift the 40 scholarship ban. We need to get above 40 scholarships to be competitive nationally and to get FBS guarantee games.

Archived