UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile a view of Albany by out-of-town media

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/These-are-fightin-words-625028.php

"Through new eyes

One of the more interesting aspects of having the Giants practicing in Albany is reading reactions to the area from members of the national sports media.

Albert Greer of The Boston Globe, for example, called the University at Albany campus "a maze of big, bland cement buildings set about a 40-yard dash away from Interstate 90."

Peter King, of Sports Illustrated and NBC fame, got out on the town a bit more. On Monday Morning QB, his blog, he described Albany as "a good spot" and wrote about getting coffee at Stuyvesant Plaza.

He even took in a ValleyCats game, describing Troy's Joe Bruno Stadium as "a very Americana place."

Yet King also said "there might have been more varieties of beer at the ballpark than there were fans."

I'll give Greer bland, but I can't think of anything less maze-like than the podium.

Meanwhile a view of Albany by out-of-town media

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/These-are-fightin-words-625028.php

"Through new eyes

One of the more interesting aspects of having the Giants practicing in Albany is reading reactions to the area from members of the national sports media.

Albert Greer of The Boston Globe, for example, called the University at Albany campus "a maze of big, bland cement buildings set about a 40-yard dash away from Interstate 90."

Peter King, of Sports Illustrated and NBC fame, got out on the town a bit more. On Monday Morning QB, his blog, he described Albany as "a good spot" and wrote about getting coffee at Stuyvesant Plaza.

He even took in a ValleyCats game, describing Troy's Joe Bruno Stadium as "a very Americana place."

Yet King also said "there might have been more varieties of beer at the ballpark than there were fans."

I'll give Greer bland, but I can't think of anything less maze-like than the podium.

I'm with you on the maze-like comment...not sure what campus he was looking at there.

And I don't know what day King when to The Joe...but he does know that it's short-season Single A, right? Outside of Staten Island...I think Tri-City averages the most fans in the NYPL...average attendance is more like a Double A game as opposed to Single A...and having so many varities of beer is one of the reason there's so many people there!

And I don't know what day King when to The Joe...but he does know that it's short-season Single A, right? Outside of Staten Island...I think Tri-City averages the most fans in the NYPL...average attendance is more like a Double A game as opposed to Single A...and having so many varities of beer is one of the reason there's so many people there!

I don't know what day King was there either. I have been there 12 times this year. There was 1 game were I thought the crowd was very small, 1 small , 2 or 3 very large in that it was tough to walk around the concourse and the rest comfortable in the 3500 - 4,500 range.

It is tough to make judgments based on 1 game but you are overstating the valley cats attendance a bit in your disagreement with King. It is good, but it is still 6th behind #1 Brooklyn , Aberdeen, # 3 Staten Island, Lowell and Hudson Valley.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=127&sid=l127

As far as greers comment, isn't Fenway also about "40 yards" from 1-90 also. <_< Difference is we don't have to build walls around the highway.

I don't know what day King was there either. I have been there 12 times this year. There was 1 game were I thought the crowd was very small, 1 small , 2 or 3 very large in that it was tough to walk around the concourse and the rest comfortable in the 3500 - 4,500 range.

It is tough to make judgments based on 1 game but you are overstating the valley cats attendance a bit in your disagreement with King. It is good, but it is still 6th behind #1 Brooklyn , Aberdeen, # 3 Staten Island, Lowell and Hudson Valley.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=127&sid=l127

As far as greers comment, isn't Fenway also about "40 yards" from 1-90 also. <_< Difference is we don't have to build walls around the highway.

Thanks for the catch..I guess I should do some research before I open my mouth! Those numbers definitely surprised me.

Archived