UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ford disciples Coaching Tree

Some changes this with Coach Ford's former assistants:

Looks like Pete Lembo is going to be the Head Coach at Ball State (FBS)

Jeff Hafley who was on the dismantled Pitt staff and brought in Dion Lewis was just hired by Rutgers

http://scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=9875

Good to see the young guys like Haffley on big-time staffs. We need some grooming for a Ford successor.

We need some grooming for a Ford successor.

AAHHH - how about Mike Simpson ;)

Coach Simp is a great guy and a great coach but he's been here a very long time as well and while I have no clue what his aspirations are, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him hang 'em up with Fordie.

Or even maybe more likely is a move to an NFL asst position. He's got great contacts in the NFL.

Edited by danefan

Coach Simpson has had offers/opportunities and chosen to stay at Albany. I think there is a message there. He is 55 and has been working for Coach Ford for 25 years. I believe that if Coach Ford were to retire that Mike would have first shot at the position. No inside info there - just feels like the situation at UNC with Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge. Hopefully Coach Ford stays healthy and feeling young and keeps going for a lot longer.

Coach Simpson has had offers/opportunities and chosen to stay at Albany. I think there is a message there. He is 55 and has been working for Coach Ford for 25 years. I believe that if Coach Ford were to retire that Mike would have first shot at the position. No inside info there - just feels like the situation at UNC with Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge. Hopefully Coach Ford stays healthy and feeling young and keeps going for a lot longer.

I hope you're right. That will bring some consistency to the program in what will undoubtedly be a very trying transition. I just always assumed that Simp would either retire or move on to the NFL when Fordie left. Maybe its a dumb assumption on my part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff Hafley who was on the dismantled Pitt staff and brought in Dion Lewis was just hired by Rutgers

http://scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=9875

Article on Hafley and his new success getting some Donnie Bosco recruits: Hafley

"Hafley has taken that tactic, and made it work, since his days as an assistant at the University of Albany, where he was the program’s recruiting coordinator his final two seasons there."

http://scarletknight...e.asp?prID=9875

Article on Hafley and his new success getting some Donnie Bosco recruits: Hafley

"Hafley has taken that tactic, and made it work, since his days as an assistant at the University of Albany, where he was the program's recruiting coordinator his final two seasons there."

Rutgers has gotten a huge class this year in large part due to Coach Haf. He is a really nice and genuine guy. I think he'll make a fine head coach one day. biggrin.gif

Didn't they just pull a coup and get the number 1 back in Jersey...something like the top 5 back in the country?

Yup - Savon Huggins from St. Peter's prep.

They also got the #2 QB recruit in NJ - Gary Nova (was committed to Pitt) from Don Bosco and the all-state RB from Don Bosco - Paul Canevari (who was leaning towards UNC before Coach Haf got to RU)

BTW...that kid Huggins looks insanely sick in that video.

Huggins and Canaveri have the potential to be the Ray Rice - Jim Leonard combo of a few years ago.

Canevari is a punishing runner - also happens to be from my hometown.

Watch this run against MD power Gilman.

http://www.wbaltv.com/video/24964602/detail.html