UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UALBANY eyes expansion into McKownville, neighbors wary

MRSGDG

UA72...you hit the mark and, IMHO, strengthen my argument. There is no way that businesses are relocating to a major office park unless there are some tax roll abatements or inducements. The City of Boston finally realized that is the way to go, and we are seeing a massive revitalization downtown. No thanks of course to our vison-less and fat tongued Mayor.

All that said, what do you bank on: A guaranteed economic engine (UALBANY) or a management company/private major corporation that will come in on a 15-20 year lease that is backloaded with taxes/local spending.

While homerish, I'd go with the former option.

How much is Harriman used right now...recently I was down there and it looks like a number of building are vacant. Also, there are a lot of wide open spaces down there between building etc.

THIS (pointing above). FACT!!! Now, if only the government sees this instead of potential dollar signs. See my answer below your statement as to the solution.

How much is Harriman used right now...recently I was down there and it looks like a number of building are vacant. Also, there are a lot of wide open spaces down there between building etc.

THIS (pointing above). FACT!!! Now, if only the government sees this instead of potential dollar signs. See my answer below your statement as to the solution.

It just seems foolish that the land/buildings sits there vacant, not bringing in tax revenue anyway instead of re-appropriating some of that land to UA. As you pointed out, a proven economic engine.

Unfortunately all the vacant buildings are on the far side of the campus from the University, near Brevator St. The State Police, Emergency Preparedness, and Tax Department buildings are still occupied. The Labor Department building is actually owned by the federal government.

Not an insurmountable problem, but a little awkward to integrate with the main campus.

Unfortunately all the vacant buildings are on the far side of the campus from the University, near Brevator St. The State Police, Emergency Preparedness, and Tax Department buildings are still occupied. The Labor Department building is actually owned by the federal government.

Not an insurmountable problem, but a little awkward to integrate with the main campus.

They should move the State Police and other agencies over to the vacant buildings and allow UAlbany to expand into the nearby buildings. Maybe this makes too much sense?

They should move the State Police and other agencies over to the vacant buildings and allow UAlbany to expand into the nearby buildings. Maybe this makes too much sense?

State police is building a MASSIVE building on Rt. 7 near NYSUT, I wonder if they are relocating.

Yeah, and if I remains the same as it did a few years back...the State Police HQ on Harriman serves as the regional FBI training center for certain areas including as UA72 states, a leading forensic unit.

That...is tough to move. But irrespective of that, you can move alot of those facilities. In fact, I am pretty sure the tax office is slated to move...very close family friend is a 20+ year employee there and I thought she mentioned that at Turkey Day dinner. But then again, i consumed copious amounts of spirits that day...

I worked at Tax, and while in Pataki's original development plans Buildings 8 and 8A were scheduled to be demolished in year 9 of the plan, Building 9 (mostly the Audit Bureau) was scheduled to stay. But plans change.

Archived