UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Jacob Iati - POW

Congrats to Jacob, but I still don't get it.

He is deadly from long-range, has a heart and a motor that doesn't quit, seems well respected by his teammates, and is now the team's #2 scoring threat.

So why was the coaching staff in such a rush to get rid of him?

?? Am I missing something? My understanding is he was originally going to take advantage of the open Grad Assistant spot on the coaching staff to help pay for a Master's degree.

Congrats to Jacob, but I still don't get it.

He is deadly from long-range, has a heart and a motor that doesn't quit, seems well respected by his teammates, and is now the team's #2 scoring threat.

So why was the coaching staff in such a rush to get rid of him?

?? Am I missing something? My understanding is he was originally going to take advantage of the open Grad Assistant spot on the coaching staff to help pay for a Master's degree.

That was my understanding as well...after the season they met and I believe the coaching staff said we could really use you one more year and he was like ALRIGHT!

That was my understanding as well...after the season they met and I believe the coaching staff said we could really use you one more year and he was like ALRIGHT!

I think I might have worded things wrong, but why wouldn't he just play while in the graduate program? Or was the other position better for his long-term basketball future?

Edited by haggyland

I think I might have worded things wrong, but why wouldn't he just play while in the graduate program? Or was the other position better for his long-term basketball future?

I believe Graduate Assistants are often there for two years..so Iati could've had essentially his entire graduate degree paid for. Now the GA spot is full and Iati's done playing after this season.

....So why was the coaching staff in such a rush to get rid of him? - haggyland

The staff was not trying to get rid of him they were trying to do what was best for him.

Reportedly the GA position was suppose to be a two year (non playing) position - if he played this year there would probably be no spot for him on the staff the following year - and Jacob reportedly like John wanted to get into coaching.

When Suero and Logan left unexpectedly Jacob saw an opportunity to possibly play significant minutes and decided he wanted to give playing one more final shot. He is currently playing and taking graduate courses.

The decision was his - the Coaching staff and the Iati family have a solid long standing relationship and there was no way that Jacob would be squeezed out as you kind of insinuate.

If he chose to be the GA the spot was his.

The staff was not trying to get rid of him they were trying to do what was best for him.

Reportedly the GA position was suppose to be a two year (non playing) position - if he played this year there would probably be no spot for him on the staff the following year - and Jacob reportedly like John wanted to get into coaching.

When Suero and Logan left unexpectedly Jacob saw an opportunity to possibly play significant minutes and decided he wanted to give playing one more final shot. He is currently playing and taking graduate courses.

The decision was his - the Coaching staff and the Iati family have a solid long standing relationship and there was no way that Jacob would be squeezed out as you kind of insinuate.

If he chose to be the GA the spot was his.

Thank you. I admit my wording was too liberal.

Those graduate positions seem to have high turnover, so he likely could still be in line for something, right?

And while I admit that the presence of Logan and Suero would have cut into his minutes, it took Aronhalt getting injured to get him minutes, and it took Aronhalt and Suero leaving to get him to stay and play.

In the same situation, if he didn't finish the season strong would he have been invited back to play, or would he be on the staff?