UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NYS Budget - UA Implications?

Clickclack

It seems various news outlets are abuzz that a budget agreement is either very close or just about done. Wondering what impact if any it will have on our school. I know we asked for I believe $235mill in capital funding to revitalize the campus and there were some athletic funds set aside. Any chance we get a green light?

Are these additional stadium funds for SBU in and above the $5M they were already allocated? I recall there were some older funds they were allocated. Is this a rehash of those funds or something totally new?

I believe it's the same money. It appears to be a reappropriation of money that was previously given. Right around $5m.

As far as I can tell, there was only $286m total new appropriations made to the SUNY construction fund in that bill.

$60m to Stony Brook

$88m to UA for the SUNY 2020 (Emerging Technology Center)

$25m to Project Administration

$25m to State University Capital Projects Fund

$50m to State University Residence Hall Renovation Fund

$38m to Community College General Maintendance Fund

Total of $286m

Edited by danefan

Does it say what the $60M is for Stony Brook? Is this for their NY2020 plan as well or above and beyond for something new?

It may be my opinion but it seems like Stony Brook is always getting one additional deal above UA. One year they get NY2020 and we are left behind. So we eventually get NY2020 and think we're catching up but then Stony Brook is getting something else in that year's package.

Another example, we get the stadium 10 years later than them so their already working on the new initiatives like completing the basketball arena remodel and onto a stadium expansion.

UB had requested $50M to construct a building to house our new second CoE, this one in Material Infomatics. Right now the facilities are within our current engineering buildings. In the end it was not included in the budget, though we were awarded $500K in additional funding for the Center. Another funding route or trying again next year are the options. Based on a spokesperson for our local assemblymen it appears no capital projects for SUNY will receive funding this year

UB had requested $50M to construct a building to house our new second CoE, this one in Material Infomatics. Right now the facilities are within our current engineering buildings. In the end it was not included in the budget, though we were awarded $500K in additional funding for the Center. Another funding route or trying again next year are the options. Based on a spokesperson for our local assemblymen it appears no capital projects for SUNY will receive funding this year

According to the passed Capital budget bill, there was $286m Capital Funding appropriated this year.

Albany specifically got $88m

SBU got $60m

No other specific projects listed. The rest got goes SUNY admin to decide.

Well...forget the fieldhouse right now, unless the design is about 500k. Then go for it to get it on the books. I hope McElroy is pining up to Jones and saying, we need to prep now for the change in FCS/FBS and ask him for at least 6 million out of that 88 million for use in the stadium.

I'd gather that 6 million would allow us to add at least 7,000 seats, which gets us to the magical 15,000 plus minimum requirements for FBS number.

Well...forget the fieldhouse right now, unless the design is about 500k. Then go for it to get it on the books. I hope McElroy is pining up to Jones and saying, we need to prep now for the change in FCS/FBS and ask him for at least 6 million out of that 88 million for use in the stadium.

I'd gather that 6 million would allow us to add at least 7,000 seats, which gets us to the magical 15,000 plus minimum requirements for FBS number.

The problem I foresee with the $88m is it is specifically earmarked for the Emerging Technology center

12 Advances for the design and construction of

13 an emerging technology and entrepreneurial

14 complex, as identified and approved by the

15 governor and the chancellor of the state

16 of New York pursuant to the NY-SUNY 2020

17 challenge grant program for the state

18 university of New York at Albany, includ-

19 ing but not limited to services and

20 expenses, service agreements or service

21 contracts and memoranda of understanding;

22 for capital design including the cost of

23 services provided by private firms,

24 including preparation of designs, plans,

25 specifications and estimates; for property

26 acquisition, and facility construction or

27 reconstruction and equipment; claims,

28 emergencies and remediation of environ-

29 mental hazards (28201308) ................... 88,000,000

Stony Brook, on the other hand, got a very vague grant of $60m....

5 Stony Brook, incl Health Science Center

6 (HSC) Campus-wide projects, including

7 improvements to the Campus Electrical

8 Distribution System ............................. 60,000,000

Correct, no directly appropriated new builds for academics or research for this budget cycle outside Albany's designated SUNY2020 project is what the Assemblyman's spokesperson was getting at. Some projects could come from the general funding pot. Buffalo St had a few requested projects that went no where as well.

Edited by UBBulls