UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tax Free UAlbany Zone?

MRSGDG

No Taxes in New Zones

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cuomo-No-taxes-in-new-zones-4538569.php

As someone who works in state finances and knows how strapped we are for cash.. I don't see how this will work...it's a nice thought but if we can't pay our current bills because we have no cash...I dunno. The things this Gov comes up with.. anything for positive ratings. But the reality of paying actual bills vs. his gimicks will eventually catch up to him.

Cuomo has already capitulated and now says private schools may also be part of the program although they have to compete. SUNY will never be on par with other state flagships as long as the state supports the private schools. Period. That simple.

Roll back the Bundy Act and stop funfing PRIVATE institutions. How is it New York leads the country in government control on all aspects but then subsidizes private institutions?... could it be the politicans are giving a kick back to their alma maters?

Edited by SoCal_Dane

The provisions for tax-free land around select private schools was announced from the start, along with the tax-free lots attached to no school. As an economic development tool it's in line with the minor amount of state funding that goes to private research schools for certain projects, and it is decreasing fast. I wouldn't worry about the Siena's or Skidmore's gaining anything from this as it's mostly geared for innovation at research universities. As much as you can cite Rockefeller for creating no single flagship, you can also blame him for creating the system for private schools to compete with SUNY (known as the "Rockefeller Settlement") from this book (starting on page 290): http://books.google.... off by&f=false

Edited by UBBulls

Cuomo urged to make Harriman campus tax-free by area legislators.

Albany County Executive says Nanocollege bursting at the seams. Senator Breslin encouragingly says "If it's done right, it would be a tremendous inducement — with the University at Albany attached to it — for companies coming from out of state" but if the University is NOT attached to it, we'd be hemmed in with no room for expanding the campus in any direction.

Cuomo urged to make Harriman campus tax-free by area legislators.

Albany County Executive says Nanocollege bursting at the seams. Senator Breslin encouragingly says "If it's done right, it would be a tremendous inducement — with the University at Albany attached to it — for companies coming from out of state" but if the University is NOT attached to it, we'd be hemmed in with no room for expanding the campus in any direction.

Don't know what to make of this....translation?

PIE IN THE SKY IDEA: Demolish the Harriman Campus and in its place build a new main campus for UAlbany...only this time, make it traditional with brick and ivy, etc. Convert the current campus into the nano college but keep it affiliated with UA. The modernistic architecture fits the mission and gives them plenty of room to grow.

So now you have a modern (some would say ugly, but not me :D ) campus for the technology-centered side and a traditional, "pretty" campus for the liberal arts and business side.

Just spit-balling here ;)

My thought was that if the state keeps control of Harriman and its development east of the UAlbany campus, with a separated Nano to the west, we're locked in - growth is over unless we acquire another campus somewhere else. I'm hoping Breslin means UA oversees or gets credit for the research, with the land still available for other college uses if necessary.

That's a lot of pie in that sky!

Maybe a little of something else too, but I don't think it's that out-of-line..seriously.

They've been debating what to do with that area since I attended in the 90's and probably even longer than that. Considering how the area just west is flourishing, it's a perfect opportunity to make use of that land for an enterprise that is actually generating $$ for the state and community. Albany and UA has the opportunity to be the next Austin and UT if they develop this area correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

Tax Free Gets a New Rebrand

Tax Free NY is dead, long live START-UP NY.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s program to stimulate the upstate economy has been given a new name after lawmakers and the administration last night agreed to modifications to the economic-development program.

http://capitaltonightny.ynn.com/2013/06/tax-free-gets-a-re-brand/

I have to admint I'm disappointed. At first this "Tax Free NY" was targeted or maybe exclusive to upstate and SUNY. Now it seems to be open to SUNY, CUNY and private. It's open to upstate and downstate. Basically it's open to everyone. Typical... what may have been a good idea lost most of it's appeal during the legislative writing process.

I'm equally disappointed to hear Albany Nano is likely to be stripped from UA.

The news was not good for UA today.

• 1 month later...