UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Fall Ball - Men's Lacrosse

11 hours ago, dslyank said:

Nothing official. 10/6 alumni game. 10/13 fall ball tournament. Army, Hopkins (maybe????), Richmond participated in past but NOT this year. 10/20-21 open recruitment day, whatever that means (do not know if this is even legal??)

Alumni game is the 6th at 4pm and playing Hopkins and West Point on the 13th.

I hadn't seen anything about the 20th and 21st, and that sounds like a typical prospect day which is normal. What makes it legal for all schools is that you have to make it open every to anyone who wants to attend and I imagine with the new rules there can't be any discussions unless they are now juniors.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Thanks 1

Just saw the 2018 Inside Lacrosse recruit rankings. Albany comes in with the 24th ranked class with two incoming players in their Top 100 players.

Tanner Hay rocketed up to #24 and McComber slipped to 97th. I don't know how this works since Swingruber had a very high evaluation from Inside Lacrosse, and most of our incoming recruits were not evaluated by them.  Based on recent performance of our team I will put more stock in who the coaches are evaluating than the Inside Lacrosse guys.

14 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Just saw the 2018 Inside Lacrosse recruit rankings. Albany comes in with the 24th ranked class with two incoming players in their Top 100 players.

Tanner Hay rocketed up to #24 and McComber slipped to 97th. I don't know how this works since Swingruber had a very high evaluation from Inside Lacrosse, and most of our incoming recruits were not evaluated by them.  Based on recent performance of our team I will put more stock in who the coaches are evaluating than the Inside Lacrosse guys.

Agree!

It looks like the ncaa is revising the new shot clock rule. Instead of 20 sec to get across and 60 seconds to get a shot on goal; the new rule will be a straight 80 sec upon procession. Teams must still get the ball across in 20. I think this is a GOOD revision; it removes the subjective 20 sec officials manual counting and allows more time for offenses that can get the ball across faster than 20. [i.e. get it across in 10 sec and you now have 70 seconds to run your offense.] Also, after a shot on goal, reset will be 80 seconds. While perhaps not speeding the game up as much as the 20-60-60reset rule previously proposed; I think the difference will be negligible. In addition it will totally remove official subjectivity and arbitrary shot clock maintenance; and still prevent major stall tactics.

From what I read, coaches are highly behind the revision and many who were against the shot clock entirely are now more on board.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

I think the biggest positive is that it will reward teams who clear the ball well and fast with more time to run their offense. That is going to put an even bigger premium on goalies who can throw great outlet passes, and poles who can get the ball off the ground and into the offensive zone.

If I am reading it right it also clears up some of the FOGO stuff because now if the ball is won clean an offense has the entire time as opposed to a  clean win, FOGO takes ball into the restraining box and the clock would have started at sixty seconds.

No news on how the face off battle is going for us or if anyone new has emerged onto the scene.

Athletic Communications    
Name    Position    
Pete Iorizzo    Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations (Football, Men's Lacrosse)

Lacrosse still does not list an Athletics Communications person. Perhaps Pete is too busy with football to post anything Lacrosse wise. Or maybe the communications team is preoccupied getting reading for the annual "head shots" spectacular. Or is the team taking a more serious attitude this year and NOT doing the "head shots" thing??????? Personally I hope they continue the practice--voted best in the country 3-4 years running. But in the meantime it would be nice to get some official Lacrosse news on occasion.

I got a few tidbits.

Based upon what I have heard now over two years, my impression only, is that things are a bit more serious this year. This is a pretty small senior class and the guys who are in official and unofficial leadership positions are pretty serious guys. That being said there are definitely still some characters on the team.

They are putting in a lot of time adjusting to the new rules, especially pushing the transition to maximize the shot clock in the offensive zone.  Unfortunately don't have any news on what the offensive rotations are looking like.

Like Dslyank said, might be nice to get some kind of OFFICIAL news from the staff.  Other teams have their rosters up already.  Official welcome of new players. UA has nothing!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Like Dslyank said, might be nice to get some kind of OFFICIAL news from the staff.  Other teams have their rosters up already.  Official welcome of new players. UA has nothing!!

I heard through the grapevine that the school wants to either upgrade or expand (not sure which) the lacrosse locker room, and you would think that whoever runs the development program would be out with a bull horn, screaming at the top of his or her lungs. I am surprised that no one has tried to do something at the corporate level and with the Thompson's to honor the Native roots of lacrosse, and how Coach Marr and the UAlbany program is the embodiment of that history. 

I can see the Nike commercial now.