UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The NEC wants an autobid....

Here's the article.

The only leverage would be if the NEC raises the number of counters to 45-50 and starts beating better teams. Even then I think they'd have to raise the number of teams in the playoffs to accomodate additional leagues.

Any of this will be long-term anyway. And somehow, I don't see Monmouth in the Patriot League either.

Someone who is more familiar with the other leagues can answer.

How is the schedule, date wise, with the end of the NEC schedule and the beginning of the I-AA playoffs?

Since they have no leverage for an automatic bid, at least that's how it looks, maybe the committee and leagues with an automatic bid would consider something where:

the NEC champion plays another non-auto bid champion (MAAC, etc.) in a "play-in" game ... therefore, only one at-large (turned auto) bid would go to essentially two leagues ...

However I don't know if the schedules would permit something like that, i.e. is there a week in between the normal end of the NEC schedule and the start of the I-AA playoffs, in which this game could be played? The winner of the game would be dog-tired (no pun intended), but at least that might open some of the auto-bid conference's eyes to the idea.

Obviously the more auto bids that you have, the less at-large bids you have. Which no one in an auto bid league likes, because when upsets happen they like to have that fallback. Same thing for the basketball NCAA tournament, which is why you see the bottom two leagues playing in that play-in game. Football is a different beast, though, in terms of time and rest, etc.

At least the NEC is trying to do something to preserve itself.

I agree with most of the people on the AGS board that the schools in the conference have to make more of a commitment to football and then try to get an autobid and not vice-versa. I realize alot of people here have A10 aspirations for Albany but I think the NEC moving up as a conference would be a good solution to the evaporating non-scholly 1AA football situation.