UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Best UAlbany Team Gets No Recognition!

Play_Fair

Oh, I forgot to mention that we appreciate that you guys give us great credit for supporting our other teams, Coach Vives has made it a team priority to come out an support the other teams! so thanx for that nod, it isn't done in vain I guess. We tend to disregard who's out there seeing us, when its such routine for us! So thanx again...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, to preface a point....it was the way Play Fair came on here. If you spend enough time on this board, you will soon find that we are at the forefront of getting school spirit and awareness started, even from Boston to the far reaches of Georgia.

The first way to get us into it....doing what you are doing...posting...and posting for all sports. You see, if you start posting about football, the football guys may get intrigued (you know how athletes are) and they start getting into posting about you guys.

The casual fan needs to learn more about track. Look, soccer is the world's No.1 sport, but try getting someone into my posts about soccer. It didnt happen until I started explaining some stuff...then others chimed in...etc.

Play Fair was right...but WRONG for taking it out on us. The RACC ROWDIES...birthed here. The candy tossing....birthed here. The A Dept. getting stuff up quicker....after pestered from members of this board.

Keep coming out and let us know what is going on...we will support you. I am personally trying to come to the meet if my work/studying allows for it.

Someone stated we don't come to this site enough to post, or explain whats going on as far as our team's concerned...so i'll let you know whats going on.

Just this past weekend a kid on our team ran the 5th fastest time in the NATION in the 800 meters...and qualified for the USA national championships.

- for all not familiar, thats twice around an outdoor track, and 4 times around an indoor track, at close to an all out sprint. Also the equivalent to around 18 miles an hour...think about how fast that is next time you're on a treadmill in the RACC cruising along at 6 miles an hour.

I understand where a lot of people are coming from as far as track not getting publicity or "love" it deserves because of its lack of home meets, lack of fan turnout, and basic lack of popularity as far as the USA is concerned. I mean cmon, it takes a sick individual to enjoy running as hard and as far as humanly possible for fun, or to lift weights and train each and every day so at the end of the week all your hard work can be shown by throwing a 16 pound metal ball farther then the next guy. In every other sport running is considered punishment for things like a poorly executed offense or for not running out a pop-fly.

Track is a sport that can only be understood if you experience it for yourself, or sit down with someone who runs and have a conversation with them. Feb. 18th and 19th are the Conference Championships where the Men go for their 3rd straight title, and the women are in prime position to steal their first. There are U-Albany buses going down to Boston to watch this meet on the 19th. All UA fans should go and support both teams, I can get you the info on the buses if you want, just reply to the post.

I'm a former team member who loves the sport of track and field. I played just about every sport while growing up and was succesful. I was starting quarterback in High School. I Played baseball, volleyball and other sports. Something about Track and Field caught my attention in a way the other couldn't never accomplish. You see Track and Field, in my experience, is the purest sport form. Running, jumping and throwing go back thousands of years. It can't be compared to other sports. You have to be in track world to understand. It takes a lot of dedication to do what we do, and the rewards are for the most part instrinsic. So, actually, I don't understand the fuss. Personally, I don't compete for recognition. Yes, I like to perform for others to see what power the human body can exert, and how people awe at seeing someone put out everthing they have to give at one moment in time... The true recognition comes in conquering your own fears, and accomplishing your own goals.

Others have a point when they say we fail to have many "home contests" You have to understand, the majority, I'm saying 90% of collegiate track teams in this country travel to compete. Most meets are Invitationals which attract numerous athletes from a high number of schools. We only have 1 meet at home, the Spring Classic in April. However, buses are taking fans to see both Indoor and Outdoor Championships. As far as recruiting, the answer is no, we don't have all the talent locally. Perhaps, in a few distance events. If you understand track..You have hurdles, sprints, middle distance, jumps, pole vault, throwing events and multi-events. I only know of less than 20 total local athletes who are impressive in only a few of these events areas. Get you facts straight! and Puerto Rico is a US territory...

Coach Vives is a nationally recognized coach who has built a successful program - POINT BLANK..

Yes, we are in a world of our own at times..but I think that's what makes our sport so great. You have to have the desire from within....All other sports are a game..You WIN OR LOSE..However, track, also known as "ATHLETICS", is a pure sport due to it's instant measurable results....No depending on another player, except in relay...How did Michael Jordan feel for the early years of his career scoring so many points, but his team was garbage??? In our sport it's just you...

But it has to be experienced to be understood. Pardon my bad English grammar. For those who particiapte, we have all the rewards we want and recognition from within. Should I really care about someone who doesn't understand my sport? Put it this way, it's EASY to play basketball, football and baseball..but I've seen countless "non-athletic" people, who are tall or just talk a lot play these sports in both high school and college...In track it's very visible who's talented and who's not, and on a Division I team, there are very few poor track athletes. My favorite quote is from Armory Track.com

What Makes a Man Run?

People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. Argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact.

Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition.

For in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents.

The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions.

- Glenn Cunningham

The UALbany Track team has some of the finest all-around athletes you'll get a chance to see, and we always come through, when it's all on the line.....

GO GREAT DANES!!!

Thanks for the post purest_sport.

I hope we have alot of track enthusiast post on the board.

The great thing about this board is Dane Pound has created an All Sports Board just like UA is building an All Sport Athletic Program.

Let's all respect and support all our teams.

GO DANES

to clarify my post, I said I was considering Puerto Rico out of country for my point. Obviously I know Puerto Rico is a US territory...Furthermore, my post never attacked Coach Vives credibility as a coach. I consider myself to be very knowledgeable in track and field and I recognize that he has a built a very fine program at Albany. My point was addressing getting the community more involved, not the issue of Coach Vives' credentials. I apologize if it came off that way.

To counter the point about 20 local athletes being of superior quality. I understand that local high schools are not putting out national leaders in every event, but look at dyestat.com and check how many local kids are ranked nationally in individual and relay events. Yet there are only 9 local kids on the UA Outdoor mens and womens teams combined. The local success is a great thing, and I think UA should be taking advantage of it. I think it would be beneficial to the team success and also to spur local community interest in the program. Don't you think if Coach Vives could get the Saratoga National champion 4x1mile relay team all to UA it would be great for everyone?

Just my opinion...Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. I welcome other people's point of view that are more closely connected with the UA team.

Yes...Dyestat.com shows national rankings..What other events than distance do you see any Section II rankings in? I only see a few. The talent pool isn't here for a reason..Most high school programs lack any real depth and knowledge of coaching. In fact, I know many coaches who were distance runners and can't tell you a thing about jumps/hurdles/throws, sprints etc...This is a shame..The top track states whith best recruits are Texas, Florida and California. So, the pool that coaches have to choose from for a Division I athlete who resides in the area aren't that great. To promote the sport in the area, I'm aware that UAlbany is hosting a series of open competitions to the public this winter season. What a great wat to promote the sport! They even held a clinic a few weeks back where coaches led young kids in instructional presentations in event areas.

The sport lacks prestige in USA when compared w/ Football, Basketball as a financial means for profit and school image.. The sad part is that despite other sports having many losing seasons (respectfully), and tracks historical success..The overall perceived image is that UAlbany is a building program for 6 years now, and let's have some patience for teams to develop to be more competitive in the conference..I agree that our school and teams are new to the National Ranks...I will say that track athletes over the years have showed they can beat some of the best athletes in the country who go to big schools (UCLA, Florida,, Michigan, Ohio State) The track team, at this point would fair in the top three teams in the prestigous Big East Conference. The only other sport I would say could do that at this time is the Volleyball team... Just making a point

Yes, Vives is Track and Field Coach..X- Country has it's own identity and separate coach and season (fall) Distance runners generally continue their seasons on the Track team through May.

This forum is a great way to exchange ideas..I hope you all can make it to the Championship.

Yeah it would be great to have the Saratoga National 4x1mile relay team on our roster. I know for fact that Coach Vives is aware of EVERY local athlete that has produced a competative mark, distance, or time. It may seem as if the local talent gets overlooked, but the reality is that all NCAA coaches no matter the sport is allocated a recruitment cap. By that I mean the number of official visits are dictated, as are the number of scholarships 12.6 full scholarships on the mens side, and I think 18 on the women. The well can run dry very quickly because of NCAA rules. It's not fair to large teams like football and track. (Hypothetically) Suppose Coach Vives is allowed to only have 12 athletes here on official visits, (thats during the official recruiting period which is also chosen by the NCAA) and Will Brown is also allowed 12...that accounts for an entire B.Ball squad, but not even a third of a track team. So there are some complications with recruiting that makes it seem as if he overlooks the local talent, knowing this a lot of the athletes go the Universities that have the "wells" that are relatively full, or at least half full.

I seem to remember one x-country meet Albany won in front of 9,000 - it was scheduled so it finished during halftime of a football game at Colgate. Get yourself a captive audience. I don't know if it would work here if the timing was just a few minutes off.

Great point about recruiting restrictions. That is one thing that I neglected to take into consideration.

What would you guys consider the strengths of the UA track and field team? From the outside it appears the middle distance and sprints are well above the distance team. I don't think the XC team has had quite as much success as the T&F teams have.

A seperate question is regarding recruiting. Does Coach Vives recruit for cross-country also? It would seem that he would have a greater stake in the distance runners having them for 2 seasons (indoor and outdoor) than the X-Country coach would. Is it standard practice in College for the T&F coach to not be involved in the workings of the XC teams? I am not being sarcastic, these are real questions I have. (It is tough to distinguish between sarcasm and actual questions on message boards sometimes.)

On a side note, can anyone confirm the athletic facility plans announced during the fall? I had originally heard that an indoor track facility would be included in the field house plans. I was wondering if this would be true. If so it would be a great recruiting tool for us. There really aren't any nice indoor facilities in NY outside the Armory and West Point (which isn't that nice). It would also be great to actually have the Great Dane indoor meet on campus and not in NYC.

Thanks for informative posts. It makes the board worth coming to, unlike so many other boards out there.

From my best knowledge ...

I know recently that horizontal jumpers (long/triple jumpers), hurdlers, and middle distance runners have been the strongest event groups on the team. However, every event group has many solid, consistent athletes. The mentioned areas have contibuted the most points to team championhips...