UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Letters to the Editor -- Times Union

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=3/13/2005

UAlbany keeps making strides in the attendance department. However, if Brown isn't given a contract extension soon or next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see that season attendance average go back to the old days of 1,000/per night. I think you will see an outrage from the community and season ticket holders if Brown isn't rewarded for his efforts.

In my opinion, if Brown doesn't have a new contract by the beginning of next season, McElroy won't renew him at all. Everyone can clearly see the writing on the wall.

1. We don't know the details behind the Driscoll incident. It's true that McElroy isn't talking about it, but what if he did something so inappropriate that McElroy discussing it would embarass the program and the University? What if there were a seried of issues that have been building up to the firing?

2. I don't know that you can make a connection between the firing of Driscoll and Brown's status with the program. I do think that McElroy puts tremendous pressure on his coaches and expects them to win.

3. Fans will continue to come out as the team wins. Brown will win next year and have his contract extended. The issue is that McElroy will expect him to win the conference championship.

1. We don't know the details behind the Driscoll incident. It's true that McElroy isn't talking about it, but what if he did something so inappropriate that McElroy discussing it would embarass the program and the University? What if there were a seried of issues that have been building up to the firing?

Fine. But flip this around on yourself - what if he didn't? What is McElroy really just wanted to fire him, either for his own personal reasons, or for something petty, or, as the letter implied, to get at Will Brown and send a message?

By not giving any type of explanation, it's left totally up to interpretation by the fans.

As is the Will Brown contract situation.

Assistant coaching candidates and head coaching candidates will take note of the current atmosphere at UAlbany. They will wonder why Driscoll was fired, and why Will Brown hasn't been extended, despite working hard for 3-4 years for not a lot of money (relative to most D-I coaches). He has had on-court success and certainly out-recruited his predecessor by a wide margin.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but mark my words: if the Danes have a good measure of success next year, finish in the top 3-4 of the league but don't win the title, and this leads to Will Brown's firing ... candidates will say no thank you to the Danes.

If Albany finishes 4th in the league but doesn't win the league title, I don't think that would be a successful season. That is the scenario this year. Next year, the league will be much weaker and Albany should be better as pretty much all the players return from this year. I am not saying that a 4th place finish means Brown should be fired, but I would consider it disappointing.

Remember, the writer of that letter to the editor is not a neutral observer of the UA program. He writes as a friend and advocate for Driscoll. I know nothing about the Driscoll situation, but think its important not to jump to conclusions and/or automatically twin Driscoll's firing with McElroy's plans for Brown.

If I were the AD, I'd give Brown a three year extension with a fair raise. I like his confidence with the media, and he's a good "face" for the program. He's a proven recruiter, and plays a fan friendly, uptempo style of ball.

At the same time, I can understand McElroy wanting to wait for next years results. If the team has the kind of year we all hope for (18+ wins, competing for the regular season and conf. tourney championships) McElroy can resign Brown quickly after the 05-06 season ends. However, if the Danes underachieve next year, McElroy can consider all the options. Brown is a good young coach, but he's not the next Rick Pitino (at least not yet).

It seems to me we've seen so many things go wrong with the basketball program over the past few year that we're anticipating problems before they happen. If this were McElroy's first year I'd wonder what he was doing also but it isn't. He's done a good job getting (and keeping) good coaches in other sports that past few years and hopefully basketball is no exception. We should also remember that Patterson's extention wasn't announced until nearly a month after the season ended.