UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MASTER PLAN REVEALED

UAalum72

In the mail, though not yet on the website (hope my scan is readable):

Master_Plan.jpg

There's no key to the map. I don't know what the new building between Indian Quad and the lax field is.

Phase I was the RACC renovation and the lax/field hockey/recreation fields to be constructed this summer. Phase II is a 10-15K synthetic turf FB stadium including new offices, student service areas, meeting rooms, locker rooms, weight rooms, and a pavilion for concessions 'for the football stadium and the RACC'. Expandable to 25K with corporate boxes and video scoreboard. Designed for concerts, HS FB championships, soccer & lax tournaments.

Other phases - multipurpose Student Recreational facility, indoor and outdoor track venues, baseball stadium, practice fields.

"THERE IS NOT A SPECIFIC TIMETABLE FOR COMPLETION OF THE ENTIRE MASTER PLAN BUT DR. MCELROY ANTICIPATES PHASE II WILL BEGIN SHORTLY AFTER THE COMPLETION OF PHASE I."

Note it's now named 'PROJECT 2010'.

Thanks for the info. The fact that they have provided this is certainly encouraging.

You just wonder a bit about the price tag in the SUNY economic climate.

As I recall phase one is about to begin and will be done in time for the fall, so phase 2 including the football stadium would begin next year ?

im gladd i can see how the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Field is going to be set up. The way they have it set up for Phase I is kinda like how Cortland's Football Field and Track and Field is set up (i've seen it)...bleachers in the middle, and a big press box, and all u have to do is walk over to the other side to see the other part of the field...i like that set-up.

I dont see where they are gonna get all that open field behind the baseball stadium, but if they can, by all means.

I'd like to see the plan thrown out on the Athletic Website as an interactive plan. I'd like to know when the plans for the baseball field will begin. To me, that should be part of phase 1. Adding bleachers and press box is not that hard fo a process. You get local companies to help with that, you can then start taking in more local/HS baseball games. Plus the team wouldnt have to worry about having cancelled games all the time.

Im very excited about this. I only wish i wasnt graduating next year.

im gladd i can see how the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Field is going to be set up. The way they have it set up for Phase I is kinda like how Cortland's Football Field and Track and Field is set up (i've seen it)...bleachers in the middle, and a big press box, and all u have to do is walk over to the other side to see the other part of the field...i like that set-up.

I dont see where they are gonna get all that open field behind the baseball stadium, but if they can, by all means.

It looks like the same setup is also to be built between the soccer field and the first-base side of the baseball stands, with facilities and equipment storage underneath. The baseball field is to move onto what is now the last football practice field. Given this year's weather, artificial turf on at least the infield woud be nice too.

Phase II next year? Well, it's only 1/28th of the cost of the Jets' new stadium. :rolleyes:

Edited by UAalum72

see what i dont get is, i think this Project Can be done for less and with alot of the things not changing. You dont need to replace the baseball stadium. You have the open area to make that work already. To me, rip up the last football field and build a parking lot.

WERE ARE PEOPLE GONNA PARK FOR THIS NEW LACROSSE FIELD...INDIAN QUAD PARKING LOT? You can barley park for a baseball field now. Rip up that field, make it a parking lot, and build the stands for the baseball field on the dirt road they have leading to the park right now. Then you have that Natural hill you can use beinhd the visitors dugout.

You rebuild the soccer field next to that parking lot. What other teams do they have that need a field? Field Hockey and Lacrosse is covered. The only other fields needed in Soccer. You can put in new turf on the current field and move it over so you can build the new football stadium. You dont need 4 more soccer fields etc... like this plan shows. You need two at the most, not 4.

I think if they downsized the plan a little, the fundings would be fine and you still have a really good finishing product.

There appear to be two parking lots (the white areas) between the football stadium and the soccer field. They're not that far from the FH/lax fields, or from baseball. The '4 more soccer fields' I'd assume are all-purpose practice fields, with another small parking lot where the BB infield is now.

The current baseball field has terrible drainage; I think it's lower than the pond. Moving it west they can combine the concrete work of the grandstand with the soccer field's, and maybe add drainage pipes at the same time. The rest of the fields are already grass, so I don't see much new there, except for that last field on the far right.

Agreed this will come with a big cost but similar big-ticket construction projects have been built at Stony Brook and Bing in the last couple of years.

This has been talked about for so long it's fantastic to see solid plans being laid down even if the timetable is up in the air somewhat. I really like the shared concessions stands for both the RACC and the football stadium.

Also the tons of possiblilites for the new stadium. There is really nothing like what is being proposed anywhere around Albany. With a proper managment team you can find a lot of things to do with a new stadium. This is really going to be an exciting couple of years to see the change from shoddy D3 facilites to very good D1.

Im very excited about this. I only wish i wasnt graduating next year.-Great Danes84

You have to graduate and get a great job so you can write a big check (as if you aren't already) to help pay for all this stuff. :lol:

I'm sure your parents have been getting those letters for four years now.

Further evidence of how 'tight' money is for stadium construction: A few days after the deal for the Jets' stadium, a story just broke that NYC and NYS may kick in $300 million for infrastucture for a new Yankee Stadium. At least the steinbrennermen have pledged (so far) to pay for the stadium itself.