UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

TU story on Brown Deal

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but I told you so. McElroy has been misleading everyone. Brown should be taken care of and rewarded for all of his hard work and the many improvements that he has made thus far. I have to believe that his lack of a contract is negatvely affecting the recruiting of players and the hiring of a replacement for Coach Driscoll. There are question marks all over the place and who wants to walk into such uncertain cicumstances....both recruit or coaching candidate?????? Let's get it done.

Do you actually KNOW of what's going on in the negotiation? As good a job as WB has done, it would be irresponsible of McElroy to give him a blank check and an unlimited-length contract. Maybe it's a matter of making up for the below-market salary for the last three years, and doing it within the budget they've got to work with. 'Get it done' implies that compromise is easy - it isn't always.

Admittedly I've tried to adopt Statefan's patience (post from a few weeks ago) on this issue. It would have been ideal to clear this up before the late signing period so it wouldn't possibly affect recruting but we don't live in an ideal world. I would expect a recruit who visited campus would meet both Brown and McElroy and they would discuss the contract situation with them if there was one.

On the bright side, the story mentions filling only one more scholarship. I'm taking this to mean Joe Dyson will be clearing Binghamton Bearcats out of the lane in the RACC next year and not going anywhere else. Good news to me.

Out of which side of the Doctor's mouth did the line about it not really being up in five months come? Kudos to Singelais for being diplomatic in basically saying McElroy was lying. If the contract says Sept. 16, then it's up Sept. 16. I don't know how you can try to say any differently. (???)

Even if you were to let it expire and give him the six months at current pay ... wow, that's going to do wonders for recruiting. Hey, we didn't extend him, we just allowed him to take the six months mandated by the union. Sweet!

And why would you have a basketball contract expire on Sept. 16 anyhow? Wouldn't you date a hoops contract to expire before the spring signing period, or on a spring-type date? Why a month before the season?

I don't fault them necessarily for not re-signing him. But this in-limbo crap and trying to double-talk dates is just bush league. Either cut bait or fish.

This is just a guess, but the reason for September 16 would be that the six month mandated extension period would take you to March 16, a date when any school that would need to make a coaching change would have had the time to come to such a decision. I don't recall the date Siena announced Lanier's termination, but if was after conference tournament and after a supposed post season review, probably pretty close to March 16.

I don't think Sept 16 is unique to Brown; again, just a guess but I imagine all coaching contracts are dated, so in the worst case scenario, the University's salary obligation can be discontinued soon after the end of a season when the university decides to make a change.

As I recall, Coach Brown has an MBA. I'm sure he understands all the contractual timing issues.

Now here's a poll question - who thinks Singelais came up with the idea of making a Freedom of Information request on his own?

2k3, I agree. The 6 mo is basically severence. I'm sure good assisant candidates are lining up at the door to get the job as Will's assistant. I can't get a straight answer on this. I'm glad the article got this situation out in the open and clarified.

Maybe Singlaies should look into what McElroy has done in the past at his other stints as athletic director. He might have this pattern from other jobs. I think Will saved his butt when he had to fire Beeten. Will has done a nice job and should be rewarded. It is a scary thought to think that they would have to search for another coach. He did a terrible job the last time with Beeten.

I'm confused. Trina Patterson goes 9-9 in league 13-16 overall with previous coaches recruits. AD says Great Job, she gets contract extension. Will Brown goes 9-9 13-15 with mostly his own recuits, is picked by many to win league the following year with the same players and is hung out to dry. I can't get a logical explanation from anyone why this is happening. I've heard rumors that current players are exploring options to transfer out. This is not good

Just in case you didn't see it this morning there is a letter to the editor about the Will Brown contract situation. McElroy could profit from a looking glass-TU

I think it went too far in attacking McElroy and the athletics program has a whole which has been very successful. Offhand I can only think of one program at Albany that has finished in the lower half of the conference standings and that was women's soccer. You can possibly find fault with the way he's handled the Brown situation but not with the rest of what's happened there.

I have to agree with your assesment DP. UAlbany athletics have caught up to the rest of the AEast in competition with the exception of Soccer. Ualbany is dominating Softball right now and Men's and Women's Lax are preparing for the playoffs. Secondly, It troubles me that the Brown situation is bringing out Trina bashing. I respect both coaches equally and I feel that Brown deserves an extension. However it is unfair to belittle the job that Trina has donw in her career at Albany. There is more into this then you could ever imagine. Remember, The America East for the women is much tougher than the AEast for then men (RPI for men in 20s while the women is 15) and Trina has won a post season game, something that Brown hasn't. The semi final since it was televised probably gained the university TV money. Don't Trina bash just cause Brown doesn't have an extension.

I read that post more as comparing Coach Brown's situation to Coach Patterson's situation last year and not so much bashing Patterson. I agree with Alum73 and I'm confused also. It's really job the McElroy has done with the rest of the programs that gives me confidence that this all will make sense eventually.

In any event it stinks that we have angry letters to the editor after the best Division I season so far. I certainly could unstand them after a 6-23 season but we should be enjoying this offseason and looking forward to next year instead of having a (partly) irritated fan base.