UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tony Dennision and Ali Kanaan-2006

Insiders' has had Albany listed as interested in Alex Zampier from Columbia for a while. Two new names on the list and while it's early it's great to see after wrapping up the 2005 class Brown and Co. are hard at working looking at guys for 2006.

Ali Kanaan is a 6'9 from Quebec. The Canadian recruiting sites had him listed in the top 50 recruits in Canada as a junior.

The other is 6'2 shooting guard Tony Dennision from NYC. Seems like quite a scorer-picture of him below.

br.JPG

At 6'9" I guess Kanaan would be a decent height for center to replace the spot when Kirsten graduates. A drop from Kirsten's 7'1" but a bit better (just height wise of course...lol) than Wyatt at center in 03-04. Is he mainly playing the 4 or the 5 right now?

Dennision obviously to fill Lucious' lost spot. Would still leave us short at PG when Jamar graduates or do you all think Lillis can/will be molded into that spot?

At 6'9" I guess Kanaan would be a decent height for center to replace the spot when Kirsten graduates. A drop from Kirsten's 7'1" but a bit better (just height wise of course...lol) than Wyatt at center in 03-04. Is he mainly playing the 4 or the 5 right now?

Dennision obviously to fill Lucious' lost spot. Would still leave us short at PG when Jamar graduates or do you all think Lillis can/will be molded into that spot?

9091[/snapback]

I think Lillis is a PG of the future. Heady, growing confidence, big, strong, can shoot. We dont know much about the handle because of the wrist injury, but I think it is something he can improve on. I would be very confident handing the reigns over to him.

Kanaan looks real thin in the pic I saw of him. A bit smaller than B. Wilson.

9091[/snapback]

I think Lillis is a PG of the future. Heady, growing confidence, big, strong, can shoot. We dont know much about the handle because of the wrist injury, but I think it is something he can improve on. I would be very confident handing the reigns over to him.

Kanaan looks real thin in the pic I saw of him. A bit smaller than B. Wilson.

9092[/snapback]

I agree with you Dane96 about Lillis at PG. He really seems suited for that role. I'd think if anything they'd be looking for guys who can attack the way Jamar and Lou can from the off-guard spot (we'd be fortunate to do that) and not PGs. From his numbers Denision appears more of a slasher/scorer which would be just what we need.

I am in agreement with Dane96 and Dane Pound about Lillis playing the point guard position. In my opinion, he starts the year as a sixth man. However, if ball-handling begins to become an issue early on with Jamar and Iati, I could see Lillis overtaking Iati as a starter before conference play begins.

Ball-handling is going to be huge for the Danes' success in 2005-06. Jamar will continue to turn the ball over. That is a given.

From one of the Wyoming papers:

" Eric Platt and Natrona County's rising junior Arthur Steward, who are playing for a Colorado AAU team, and Casper College coach Doug Stewart, who is getting an early jump on looking at prospects for the Thunderbirds.

Platt has performed well on the summer basketball circuit, earning all-tournament honors at the Rumble in the Bay in San Jose, Calif., and the Hoosier Tournament in Indianapolis, Ind. Platt had already received scholarship offers from Wyoming and Portland State, but now San Diego State, Colorado State, San Jose State and Albany (N.Y) have joined the list. Albany offered after Platt hit 10 3-pointers in a game in the Indianapolis tournament

Platt is a 6'5 shooting guard. Outstanding outside shooter with a good basketball IQ. Excellent defender who was runner-up for Mr. Basketball in Wyoming. Lead state in scoring, rebounding and was third in assists and steals. Averaged 20.2 points, 9.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 3.6 steals, while shooting 53% from three point range.

From one of the Wyoming papers:

" Eric Platt and Natrona County's rising junior Arthur Steward, who are playing for a Colorado AAU team, and Casper College coach Doug Stewart, who is getting an early jump on looking at prospects for the Thunderbirds.

Platt has performed well on the summer basketball circuit, earning all-tournament honors at the Rumble in the Bay in San Jose, Calif., and the Hoosier Tournament in Indianapolis, Ind. Platt had already received scholarship offers from Wyoming and Portland State, but now San Diego State, Colorado State, San Jose State and Albany (N.Y) have joined the list. Albany offered after Platt hit 10 3-pointers in a game in the Indianapolis tournament

Platt is a 6'5 shooting guard. Outstanding outside shooter with a good basketball IQ. Excellent defender who was runner-up for Mr. Basketball in Wyoming. Lead state in scoring, rebounding and was third in assists and steals. Averaged 20.2 points, 9.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 3.6 steals, while shooting 53% from three point range.

9114[/snapback]

Wow, this guy looks deadly from beyond the arc. From the list of schools that have offered at this point, hopefully he has some desire to head out here to the East Coast as we're the only team around here to offer...so far. Maybe he'll head to the UAlbany @ SDSU game this season to check out his potential teams.

And as a side note..I wonder who could have won Mr. Basketball in Wyoming with this kid leading the state in scoring and rebounding (as a guard none the less) and third in both assists and steals.

I think Brown does a very good job at AAU recruiting over the summer - Lillis and Brent Wilson were offered at about this same time two years ago when they were in the AAU championships in Orlando. Connelly was offered last summer during the AAU season as was Covington. What's even more interesting - as I recall, Lillis was injured for some of the tournament, Brent Wilson came off the bench, Covington wasn't getting the minutes that some thought he would get as his AAU team was very good and I don't want to leave off David Baumann who was also offered after nailing a bunch of 3's in AAU games.

Next step is to get a couple of kids from the Albany AAU team - I think they are pretty good and Jordan played for them when he was in HS.

Give Brown a multi year extension :)

• 2 weeks later...