UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's Schedule Released

UALBANY WOMEN'S BASKETBALL ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE FOR 2005-06 SEASON

Albany, N.Y. - University at Albany Vice President and Director of Athletics Lee McElroy announced on Thursday, August 25 the school's women's basketball schedule for the 2005-06 season. The Great Danes are entering their fourth year of America East Conference competition.

UAlbany's schedule is highlighted by non-conference tournaments at St. Bonaventure and California. The St. Bonaventure Shootout includes Niagara and Cornell and will be played at First Arena in Elmira, N.Y. on Nov. 19-20. UNLV, who made an appearance in the WNIT Tournament last season, and Columbia will round out the second annual Contra Costa Times Classic on Dec. 3-4 in Berkeley, Calif.

The Great Danes also meet Connecticut, who advanced to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament last season, at the Hartford Civic Center on Dec. 29. A renewal of the crosstown rivalry with Siena is set for Nov. 23 at the Pepsi Arena. Siena and UAlbany have met nine times, with the Saints winning the last meeting, 63-46, in 2003.

The Great Danes will travel to Charleston Southern (Jan. 2) and Savannah State (Jan. 4), while Big East Conference-rival Syracuse will visit the Recreation and Convocation Center on Dec. 20. UAlbany and Syracuse met for the first time during the 2004-05 season, with the Orange claiming a 66-56 victory at Manley Field House.

UAlbany kicks off the America East portion of its schedule on Jan. 7 when Hartford travels to the RACC. The postseason conference tournament will be held March 8-11 at Hartford's Chase Arena at Reich Family Pavilion.

The Great Danes graduated four seniors, including three starters, from the 2004-05 squad that set the program's Division I record with 14 victories. Head coach Trina Patterson returns for her fourth season behind the bench. Senior guard Jen Schumacher, who established the school and America East standard with 77 three-point field goals last season, will lead the offense. Point guard Sherri Mikus added 3.0 points and 1.6 rebounds per game, while guard Tanya James contributed 2.8 points and 1.9 assists.

2005-06 University at Albany Women's Basketball Schedule

November

19 (Sat.), at St. Bonaventure Shootout (vs. Niagara), 4:00#; 20 (Sun.), at St. Bonaventure Shootout (vs. St. Bonaventure or Cornell) 12:00 or 2:00#; 23 (Wed.), at Siena, TBA^; 26 (Sat.), Morgan State, 2:00; 30 (Wed.), at Army, 7:00.

December

3 (Sat.), at Contra Costa Times Classic (vs. UNLV), 4:00+; 4 (Sun.), at Contra Costa Times Classic (vs. California or Columbia), 4:00 or 6:00+; 20 (Tue.), Syracuse, 5:00; 29 (Thu.), at Connecticut, 7:00^^.

#First Arena, Elmira, N.Y., ^Pepsi Arena (Albany, N.Y.)

+Berkeley, Calif. ^^Hartford Civic Center (Hartford, Conn.)

January

2 (Mon.), at Charleston Southern, 7:00; 4 (Wed.), at Savannah State, 5:30; 7 (Sat.), Hartford*, 5:00; 11 (Wed.), at Maine*, 7:30; 18 (Wed.), Vermont*, 7:00; 21 (Sat.), New Hampshire*, 2:00; 24 (Tue.), at Boston U.*, TBA; 26 (Thu.), at UMBC*, TBA; 29 (Sun.), at Binghamton*, 1:00.

February

1 (Wed.), Stony Brook*, 5:00; 4 (Sat.), Boston U.*, 5:00 (Big Purple Growl); 9 (Thu.), at Hartford*, 7:00; 12 (Sun.), Maine*, 2:00; 18 (Sat.), at Vermont*, 1:00; 22 (Wed.), at New Hampshire*, 7:00; 25 (Sat.), at Stony Brook*, 2:00.

March

1 (Wed.), Binghamton*, 7:00; 4 (Sat.), UMBC*, 2:00; 8-11, America East Conference Tournament (Chase Arena at Reich Family Pavilion, West Hartford, Conn.)

*America East Conference Opponent

All Times Eastern

By the looks of things this is a tough schedule for the Danes. Losing those 3 seniors will be especially tough so Alabny will have to change their game. Expect them to switch styles from "Get the ball to hutch" to a quicker fast paced style. When Sherri and TJ were able to run Albany was successful. I cite the final two home games as examples. Defensively tehy have to shore up the perimiter. With a little more quickness in the lineup this season thats something that can be fixed. The first tournament will be a good bellweather on how the season will turn out. If Albany can play that style I think thery may be able to improve slightly this season. Right now I see them with 12-14 wins this year.

It seems to me that the ladies will have an avg. backcourt at best and alot of questions up front, too!!

Would anyone like to venture a guess at who will start at the 3, 4 and 5 for the women? Better yet can anyone tell us what they believe the Danes starting five will be for 05/06?

Where will the scoring and rebounding come from?

It's very hard to play uptempo if you don't rebound well as a team.

Were any of the ladies on campus taking classes and working out this summer?

looks like just one doubleheader

men vs. maine

women vs hartford

why isn't siena a doubleheader?

Also, if anybody knows - there were two players that sat out last year. They were both very tall and thin - saw them at the BPG sitting on the bench. I think one was the recruit from Maine a couple of years ago.

The question is, are they going to be able to provide any post play.

One was Kristen Peterson, who redshirted last year in her first year. She practiced up against Hutch all last season so hopefully she'll be able to bring something good.

Also saw the Turkish recruit on Wed. Pretty good size, might be a bit thinner than Hutch (only a bit) but has pretty much the same height and very big hands. While I didn't see her on the court, I wager she'll be the 5 for the majority of the season.

looks like just one doubleheader

men vs. maine

women vs hartford

why isn't siena a doubleheader?

9301[/snapback]

Unless I'm reading the schedule wrong, I see 4 double headers

12/20 Women Syracuse Men Binghamton

1/7 Women Hartford Men Maine

2/1 Women Stony Brook Men Stony Brook

2/4 Women BU Men BU

Other than WCDB's unsupported optimism, I don't see that this team will even approach a .500 record. The UConn game could and most likely will be a blowout of embarassing proportion. As I look at the stats of returning players, there is only one scorer, no serious rebounders, and one guard capable of dishing out assists. Seems like any modicum of success that this team has will be due to the quick development of incoming players. That's a lot of pressure to put on untested players, and frankly, I am not much impressed by this group of recruits. Someone please prove me wrong.

OK...Can I ever voice an opinion and not get my head ripped off...I worked radio for the team for 3 years and yes I am optimistic because Ive seen them practice, I've talked to the coaches and I've seen the schedule. The starting five probably will be

1-James

2-Schumacher

3-Sanders

4-Clark or Majors

5-Tanacan or Peterson

Last season's dissapointment was more mental than lack of talent. They have the talent to change there game. Remember Sanders averaged 3 rebounds pre game while only averaging 12.5 minutes. That is where the rebounding will come from. Plus having 2 players at 6'4" could help.

Plus the conference schedule will be tought but they have winnable games in the out of conference as well. Two years ago we beat charelston southern by 20 without hutch and Savannah state was the worst team in division 1. Vermont is in the same boat as us if not worse so 2 wins are possible their. UMBC is UMBC and we have found a way to beat hartford at least once this year so 10 wins isn't too much of a stretch in my opinion.

I had a great 3 years with that team and the coaching staff and I still have friends involved so your damn right I am gonna be optimistic and my shrink said Im not crazy...anymore.

If it makes you feel better the majority of us are probably in the minority. It's just a different minority than yours.

If this team wins 14 games this year Patterson will have done an outstanding if not miraculous coaching job. I love the optimisim but there are a lot of holes to fill on this team and not much experience.

My starting 5

Thrower

Schumacher

Sanders

Clark

Majors