UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Pre-Season Men's Basketball Poll

According to a poster on the AE Basketball forum, UAlbany has been selected to win the conference this season.

Here are the results, according to the poster:

No. Team (1st-Place Votes) Points

1. Albany (5) 61

2. Boston U. (3) 52

3. Maine (1) 46

4. Binghamton 43

5. Hartford 41

6. Vermont 31

7. Stony Brook 21

8. UMBC 15

9. New Hampshire 14

I am sure there will be an official posting of this information soon on UAlbany's athletic site.

Maybe it was Will voting for them, knowing he hurt BU's chances and boosted his own for the preseason #1 ranking ... or visa versa, it could have been BU not wanting to vote for us to boost their own chances.

I think this poll illustrates why the women's team needs new leadership. Will has moved the men into an enviable position, while Trina has taken what used to be a good and talented team (not her players, mind you) and flushed it down the toilet to a #8 ranking.

Will said that he voted for BU.

In terms of the women, McElroy has shown that he will not tolerate losing - I am sure that Patterson understands that. I forget how what her extension was, but let's give her that time to turn things around. Also, the recent recruit that committed to the women made two promising comments (from my perspective). 1. She noted that Patterson was one of the coaches on the national team and 2. She noted that UA has made a priority of the women's basketball team. To me this shows that the recruits are getting a good message. Let's see how the next year or so are for her.

She has had 3 years to turn the program around with very talented players as freshman. She has had 3 years to recruit and I have yet to see anything worth taking a second look at. The whole team this year other than Shoomaker are her recruits, lets see what happens. I wish them the best and I hope they are able to prove a lot of people wrong, including myself.

However, she did turn the program around. When she took over the team was 0-16 in conference. The last two seasons the team has finished in 4th place. Was everyone honestly expecting NCAA berths in the America East. The women's program still has more post season wins than the men's program. Now here comes the but they were Mari Warner's recruits. That is correct but bottomline Trina was coach at the time. Could Mari Warner have doen the same job. Maybe but you can't assume that. The team chemistry was much more sound under Trina than Coach Warner. From what I've heard the team chemistry this year is the best in 4 years. Don't count the ladies out. The preseason poll means crap anyway because A: The women have never been picked higher than 6th in the preseason poll and B: The America East is one of the tougher Mid Major conferences in Women's basketball. Trina has the talent to be successful down the road so show patience. She's an asset to the department and program and would be a mistake to lose her.

The last two seasons the team has finished in 4th place. Was everyone honestly expecting NCAA berths in the America East. The women's program still has more post season wins than the men's program. - WCDBvoiceofUA

WCDB - why do you bring up Men's Hoop when discussing the Women's game? They are different entities.

Patterson inherited a ton of YOUNG talent which she brought along to be competitive nothing else, which is an accomplishment. She's won 1 Tourney game a 4/5 game by 2pts.

Now she has her own recruits, recruited by her staff to fit her coaching style and take the next step from mediocracy to be top level competitive in the conference.

She has had three years to prepare for this and bring in replacements, so this team should be ready to take the next step.

Maybe it was Will voting for them, knowing he hurt BU's chances and boosted his own for the preseason #1 ranking ... or visa versa, it could have been BU not wanting to vote for us to boost their own chances.

I think this poll illustrates why the women's team needs new leadership.  Will has moved the men into an enviable position, while Trina has taken what used to be a good and talented team (not her players, mind you) and flushed it down the toilet to a #8 ranking.

10202[/snapback]

WCDBvoiceofUA - please excuse my ignorance or simple mindedness but can you explain the intent of your last post.

I know what DF2k3 was saying, and that's his opinion.

I just think comparing the two sports doesn't give you a clear perspective. In my opinion each should stand on their own merits or lack of.

Edited by Patch

Mari Warner's last two years were tough, I would guess they would be due to the fact that they were not in a conference and the head coach was working in 1 year contract extensions...kind of hard to recruit I would think. Once they decided on a conference she brought in an amazing freshman class, Danni, Mookie, Alicia, Becky Aires....I believe that year Becky and Danni both set freshman records. Then she had shoomaker the next year....I think much more should have been expected out of the teams over the past two years. I hear totally the opposite on team chemistry..I don't know about this year, but the past few years seems team chemistry was a big issue. I guess this year will def tell how the recruiting job has done over Trina's tenure. I wish them all the best, I hope they prove us all wrong, it will be a young team, hopefully someone can step up to take the pressure off Jen. I think Sheri will do good things with this team...i didn't see much other than her.

I'm not sure how you can discount the fact that the players were not recruited by her, especially when combined with the fact she hasn't recruited players near that level in the time since.

You can say 'ok Mari recruited them but Trina made them good', and that carries some weight. But then if Trina is such a good X's and O's coach and can turn all this talent around, why haven't the current recruits (under her watch) turned it around and become the types of players that Mari's crew became?

I feel like she inherited a team with much more talent and potential than Will inherited, but he was able to turn it around and get the men's team in a position that the women's has never been in - conference favorites. He may or may not live up to that expectation, but, he got them to that point with his own players. And if he is dismissed, I think he's leaving the next coach something good to work with, just like Mari Warner did.

Warner's team chemistry might have been lacking, but if we're going to have a coach that can't recruit, what good is team chemistry?

I just don't see the same talent level on the team now as there was in the past. Maybe that will change, or maybe I'm just wrong and the talent is there.

Bottom line:

She has had 3 years to recruit and I have yet to see anything worth taking a second look at. The whole team this year other than Shoomaker are her recruits, lets see what happens. I wish them the best and I hope they are able to prove a lot of people wrong, including myself.

Ditto for me.

Sorry guys...Ive been working overnights and been in a bad mood. My feeling is that this year sophomore class is the first full recruiting class Trina had. Lyndsay Clark has had frustrating injuries, Stacy Johnson was solid last season until some personal issues arose, but TJ has become a solid contibutor. The freshman from what I have heard have been impressive this preseason. Sterling, Ward, and redshirt Peterson will be contributors this season. Due to this fact I believe that it is premature to talk of firing Coach Patterson. She should be allowed to finish out her contract and if the program hasn't seem any progress then I say a change is needed. The recruits she brought in this season have the potential as '01.

Due to this fact I believe that it is premature to talk of firing Coach Patterson. She should be allowed to finish out her contract and if the program hasn't seem any progress then I say a change is needed. The recruits she brought in this season have the potential as '01. - WCDBvoiceofUA

I personally think this is a stupid conversation.

This early in the preseason even to think of terminating a coach is way off base in my opinion.

Coach Patterson is coming off a solid season, lets support the coach and team and see what direction the program moves in.

This board - most of the time has been a positive, truthful board lets keep it that way and not be judgemental until we get a sampling of the product that is displayed.

Due to this fact I believe that it is premature to talk of firing Coach Patterson. She should be allowed to finish out her contract and if the program hasn't seem any progress then I say a change is needed. The recruits she brought in this season have the potential as '01. - WCDBvoiceofUA

I personally think this is a stupid conversation.

This early in the preseason even to think of terminating a coach is way off base in my opinion.

Coach Patterson is coming off a solid season, lets support the coach and team and see what direction the program moves in.

This board - most of the time has been a positive, truthful board lets keep it that way and not be judgemental until we get a sampling of the product that is displayed.

10224[/snapback]

What Patch is trying to say: LET'S NOT BECOME THE SIENA BOARD!