UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Rookie of the Week

It's Official, Iati named ROW.

JON IATI NAMED AMERICA EAST CONFERENCE BASKETBALL ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

Boston, Mass. – University at Albany’s Jon Iati has been selected as the America East Conference Rookie of the Week in men’s basketball, as announced on Monday, Dec. 8 by the conference office. Iati, a freshman guard from York, Pa., averaged 16.0 points and 2.5 assists in two games last week.

Iati scored 13 of his season-high 16 points in the second half in last Friday’s 68-62 victory over Army, as the Great Danes halted their longest losing streak since 1956. He also tallied 16 points and made 4-of-6 three-point field goal attempts in a 68-65 loss to Colgate on Dec. 2. Iati, a first-team all-state scholastic player in Pennsylvania last year, is eighth among the conference scoring leaders at 13.8 points per game.

CONGRATULATIONS

JOHN IATI

AE - ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

THIS EXEMPLIFIES THE GREAT JOB THE COACHING STAFF IS DOING!!!

Three different Dane Freshman in less than 1 1/2 years have gained this recognition. That makes it clear that our coaches know talent and can recruit talent to Albany.

Agreed, Martin can shoot. Also, has anyone noticed that Martin only has 3 turnovers in 88 mins played this season. WOW-Don't forget he is a FRESHMAN @ 6'7" playing guard.

I believe he is the tallest guard in the league..., post him up inside!.

With Itai and Marten from the out side it will open up the middle for Levi. But avg only 5 shots per game doesn't help, even if you are shooting 50%.

Rusty

Martin is listed as a guard and announced as a guard but is a forward.

The Danes have been playing one guard with Levi helping out and Courtney Johnson coming off the bench to relieve Iati or be the second guard.

Very rarely does Martin touch the ball or handle it in the backcourt area. To his credit his shot selection has been good and he plays within his abilities. He needs to get to the offensive boards a little more and improve defensively.

His number of shots are limited because at this point he doesn't create off the dribble.

With that said he is a very good freshman prospect and hopefully will play well enough to get consideration for "Rookie of the Week" sometime this season.

I have to say of what I've seen I've liked all three freshman this year. It's been some of the guys with experience who have been disappointing at times this year. Martin and Iati have played well and I think Courtney Johnson's minutes have been important as he really seems to free up Iati offensively by taking over the point. Johnson is currently third in the conference in assist to turnover ratio.

PATCH

I agree with your assessment on Marten. My only point was that for a Freshman he is very composed. So much so that to your point, he is not taking bad shot selections and is not turning the ball over. He may not be a true guard however neither are some of the other players that are not freshman that seem to turn the ball over quite frequently.

My point is that this is a young team, and having never been a coach, but growing up in the Boston area and a celtic fan, I have learned that turnovers kill teams. I was just shocked that he was a freshman.