UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Joe Dyson

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dyson has slipped in the Hoop Scoop Rankings from 286 to 382/550.

Don't be alarmed his team is very poor and he is having a poor year. He has the same tools he has always had it just that the guards can't get him the ball and he's also too unselfish.

Dyson with a big game today:

SANFORD-Dyson 7 2-2 16; Baines 2 4-5 8; A. Collins 3 0-2 6; Harper 6 0-0 13; Elgood 3 0-2 6; Norwood 1 0-0 3; Hussey 1 0-0 2; Wilson 1 0-0 2; R. Collins 1 0-0 2; Santiago 0 0-0 0; Struthers 0 0-0 0; Johnson 0 0-0 0. Totals 25 6-11 58.

Dyson has to be a major player at player at the high school level. Maybe he can finish strong - 16 points is his high for the year.

Edited by reeder

Rivals Hoops Ratings

To give you an idea of how Dyson has been rated by someone other than Hoop Scoop - Rivals ranks by position and rates 5 stars as supers, 4 stars as great, 3 stars as very good.

Rivals Ranked the following # of players as Power Forwards...

5 stars - 8 PFs

4 stars - 22 PFs

3 stars - 69 PFs - Dyson is ranked here.

That means Dyson is in the top 89 PF in this years recruiting class. Very few of these rated players have committed to schools as lowly rated as UA.

Therefore he is a steal for us.

Another service Hoopmasters had this to say about Dyson.....

November 19, 2003

Albany Strikes Gold in the First State

By Rob Matera rob@hoopmasters.com

The University at Albany landed a big fish in a small pond this week when they signed a 6'9 Center from Delaware.

6'9 230 lbs. C Joe Dyson from the Sanford School in Hockessin, DE signed with Albany over interest from Houston and Duquesne.

Larger schools like Providence, Rutgers, and Charlotte were interested in Dyson as a spring recruit, however Dyson wanted to end the process and is comfortable with coach Will Brown and the Great Danes.

Dyson is the centerpiece of an impressive four man fall recruiting class at Albany and, if he lives up to his vast potential, should challenge for rookie of the year honors in the America East conference.

I am trying to stay pumped up that Dyson is going to be the stud power forward we so desperately need, however slipping by 100 spots by Hoops Scoops which initially gave him his higher ranking, and to see him average under 10pts per game is a little disconcerting you must admit. I realize he is surrounded by poor talent, but I assume Hoops Scoops realizes that too when they reevaluated him. At 6'9 and 250 or there-abouts, I would think with that size and with legitimate D1 caliber skills, one would not be wrong in being suprised that he is not averaging double digits at the high school level.

I know the coaching staff and everyone involved have shown no signs of wavering in their committment to this player, and they have proven that they are excellent recruiters and are in touch with the type of player needed to compete in the AE. I hope my concerns are ill founded.

DOWNTOWN

A couple of things come into play......

1. Dyson is not having a good senior year.

2. Hoop Scoop caters to the Majors and upper echelon Mid Majors, if you follow the rankings those that sign with Majors and solid Mid Majors their rankings go up in an attempt to validate their recruiting (some of these schools pay big bucks) when Hoops Scoop elevates these recruits those left over must go down. He's still in the top 400, probably in the top 100 PF/Cs.

3. Hoop Scoop is only 1 service.

4. Dyson was highly touted by 2 others

Rivals Ranked the following # of players as Power Forwards...

5 stars - 8 PFs

4 stars - 22 PFs

3 stars - 69 PFs - Dyson is ranked here.

That means Dyson is in the top 89 PF in this years recruiting class. Very few of these rated players have committed to schools as lowly rated as UA. -Patch

Larger schools like Providence, Rutgers, and Charlotte were interested in Dyson as a spring recruit, however Dyson wanted to end the process and is comfortable with coach Will Brown and the Great Danes.

Dyson is the centerpiece of an impressive four man fall recruiting class at Albany and, if he lives up to his vast potential, should challenge for rookie of the year honors in the America East conference. - Hoop Masters

5. He has been observed by these services since he was an 8th and 9th grader, I don't think he forgot how to play.

6. There aren't many if any 6'9" 230lb players in the AE who are as highly regarded as Dyson.

7. Coach Brown and his staff are pretty good evaluators of talent themselves and if it's true that they backed off Dyson originally because he was definitely going to go to a much higher level, that speaks volumes.

8. The truth is we want him to be great, but next year is not like the previous few years where Freshmen have to come in and play big minutes. As much as we want him to be real good, we have the depth to be somewhat patient with him.

9. But........ wouldn't it be great if he is a BEAST and a "ROY" candidate.

Dyson will certainly help the team - difficult to get a 6'9" post player.

That said, he certainly is not having a good year by anyone's standards. There are probably a lot of good reasons for that - maybe the young guards...

I don't know how hoop scoop rates players, but his performance does warrant a drop in the ratings - 100 places is a lot.

That said, he'll probably be good enough to start and help the team next year.

There's a thread about the hoopscoop ratings on the $iena board as well. The theory floated on the $iena board is that when a highly rated recruit signs with a "mid-major" his ranking falls, when he signs with a "major" his ranking goes up. Don't know if it's true or not but it's an interesting argument.

It sort of takes the credibility out of the rating process if who you sign with determines your ranking? If I sign with a mid-major/low major all of a sudden I plummet down in the rankings, and I am "rated" as less of a player than I was?

Seems to me something is askew in this process.

Is this standard procedure or just Hoops Scoops procedure?

Did Dyson fall in all the scouting services?

Hoop Scoop is somewhat noted for this approach. It's not really documented but if you follow the rankings 8 out of 10 times you'll see this trend.

Charron Fisher  was 155 now  170

Arturo Dubois (Manhattan) was 185 now 278

Bilal Benn(Siena) was 171  now 290

Bryan Geffen (Boston U.), was 286 now 483

Joe Dyson ( Albany ) was 286 now 382 - Tony from the Siena Board

Rankings are just opinion polls, and sometimes they breed off each other.

If you look at a few different services you'll get a better overall feel.

"Beauty is still in the eyes of the beholder"

Coaches can get names off lists but then they must evaluate for themselves (not like Beeten who took guys on others opinion).

Signing with Majors doesn't guarantee High Rankings.

#548 is going to Kentucky

#517 is going to Arizona State

#470 is going to St. Joes

#420 is going to Memphis

Does Dyson's #382 ranking mean he can play at the above mentioned schools - I don't think so.

Edited by Patch

"Starting" doesn't concern me as I believe with the make up of the squad next year we are going to see many different starting line-ups. I just hope that he can be the inside physical presence that we so desperately need. All the scouting services say it will be so, his numbers this year hint otherwise, only time will tell.

DOWNTOWN

The good thing about next season is that we don't NEED the freshman to come in and play major minutes.

It would be a great situation if they could but with .....

Jamar a proven star (All CONF and ROY as a Frosh)

Levi a proven double figure scorer and solid rebounder( All Rookie as a Frosh)

Iati a proven rookie (5 times ROW)

"Q" has proven that he is a solid AE contributor

Wyatt has proven to be a solid contributor this season in the AE

Courtney can defend anyone on the perimeter and can handle the ball

Martin has struggled but could be a solid AE contributor, if he continues working

Knotts has shown some in spots but must become consistent

Jordan is a known factor - All Rookie and All Conf in the MAAC - 13ppg for 2 yrs

Zoellner is the big presence that we've never had - if he's solid alot of problems will disappear

We can put on the floor at least 4 different guys who have proven themselves by scoring double figures for atleast a season at the DI level.

The better the Freshman are the better the team will be

Dyson(6'9") could be a major physical presence

Brent Wilson(6'8") a skilled 4 with 3 pt range

Lillis (6'4"-6'5") very skilled could play the 1,2 and 3

Bauman (6'2") combo guard who can really shoot it

Dyson is on a roll - 18 in his last game. Did he have an injury or something to start the season:

SANFORD-Dyson 8 2-5 18, Bains 6 1-2 13, A. Collins 2 0-0 4, Harper 2 1-2 6, Ellegood 3 3-4 9, Norwood 2 0-0 5, Hussey 1 0-0 2, Wilson 0 0-0 0, R. Collins 0 0-0 0, Struthers 0 0-0 0. Totals 24 7-13 57.

Edited by reeder