UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Chris Van Zelden - recruit

Ok I have not been following Football much this year, but what I have been able to find with regards to UA Football is that we have 30 scholorships to give out. I am wondering how our team is bringing those 30 scholies into a team that was basically walkon's or TAP people. Anyone know?

Ok I have not been following Football much this year, but what I have been able to find with regards to UA Football is that we have 30 scholorships to give out.  I am wondering how our team is bringing those 30 scholies into a team that was basically walkon's or TAP people.  Anyone know?

11867[/snapback]

Its actually not 30 scholarships this year. They will eventually be able to have 30 scholarship athletes on the team, but this year I believe they were limited to offering 10. From what I have read on this board, 8 full-rides were given to incoming freshman who have signed.

I also heard from a reliable source that Colin Disch was awarded a well-deserved scholarship as well. I do not know about anyone else from the team.

Don't forget that the team from last year was not just "walkons and TAP" kids, as the NEC in prior years allowed for 30 grant-in-aid/equivalencies. These are basically scholarships, but the players must meet financial status, which most do. This type of financial aid is how Patriot League schools get their football players in. The only difference between them and the NEC of the past is that the Patriot League allows for 55 grant-in-aid/equivalencies per team and the NEC only allowed for 30.

A story from a New Jersey paper about a few other recruits:

Morris Knolls' Brancaccio, Farrand both heading to Div. I-AA colleges

QB Hennessy set to pick school

BY JOE HOFMANN

DAILY RECORD

DENVILLE -- Morris Knolls All-Area football players Justin Brancaccio and Brigham Farrand, both of whom terrorized opponents from their linebacking spots last fall, will continue chasing down ballcarriers on the Division I-AA college level next fall.

"Both of them are excited and both of them are relieved," said Golden Eagles coach Bill Regan, who guided Knolls to a Section 1, Group IV championship and a 12-0 season.

"The recruiting process is long and pressure packed. There are other kids involved and it can be filled with a lot of pressure."

Brancaccio, a first-team linebacker who was arguably the area's hardest hitter, has chosen Albany State. Monmouth University was also coming hard after Brancaccio, who had 68 tackles, 44 assists and three forced fumbles as a senior after an injury-plagued junior campaign. Brancaccio will join Randolph standout Dan Morris, an All-Area defensive back.

"This is a great situation for Justin," Regan said. "It's a program that has elevated itself to I-AA and has enlarged their stadium. They graduated quite a few of their linebackers, so he'll get a good look from their defensive coordinator. He's a rugged middle linebacker."