UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Big Picture

jalidanefan

Looking for comments from those who know more than I. It looks from the posts as though UA Football is headed full scholarship, stadium, ... with all the trappings. Where will this leave the rest of the program? Many ambitious athletic departments have gutted their other mens programs to support the football build up, as a T&F alum, I'm not thrilled. Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe that scholarship football and non-revenue sports can coexist with strong support all around but that would be naive when you remember what happened to our Olympic level wrestling program.

What do you think?

Looking for comments from those who know more than I.  It looks from the posts as though UA Football is headed full scholarship, stadium, ... with all the trappings.  Where will this leave the rest of the program?  Many ambitious athletic departments have gutted their other mens programs to support the football build up, as a T&F alum, I'm not thrilled.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to believe that scholarship football and non-revenue sports can coexist with strong support all around but that would be naive when you remember what happened to our Olympic level wrestling program.

What do you think?

12531[/snapback]

Oh dont you worry about T&F....they are going NOWHERE. T&F has been succesful for too long and pulls in kids who are A) intelligent and B) blessed in athletics stature. These are the kids UA wants.

In short, we want our athletic programs to be much like Delaware in both the athletic and academic achievment areas. In fact, the administration has flat out set we are on the "Delaware Model."

Finally, don't worry about funds being diverted. UA has been prepping for scholarship football for quite some time; in fact, the scholarship money was put away for years now and will NOT affect other programs.

Right now, the school is quietly fundraising for the football stadium. The state, the City of Albany, the University, and some very influential alumns have pledged portions of the 45mm cost.

Other alumns, have made smaller (less than 1000 bucks) donations.

The master plan, in fact, will progress through stage II and III (football stadium and bleachers to lax/field hockey.) Next on the agenda will be the raising of the track and field area to create a grassy field area used for many things including tailgating.

A new track and field stadium will be built (we hope before 2010) in the dutch quad area where the old field hockey field/rugby field is. If I remember correctly, it will be 2500-5000 seats. The next step is to build a new Rec Center/training facility for indoor sports, winter training, and the STUDENTS.

Finally, soccer will get a new stadium/stands, along with softball, while University Baseball field will be moved and get 2000+ seats.

THe future looks bright!!!

My only question is with all these great changes, how come the publicity is lacking? The only mention of capital improvements on the web-site is the ground-breaking for the lacrosse field.

With so many alumni all over the country, the web-site should be used more aggressively to achieve long-term goals. Currently there is no mention of the Athletics Master Plan on the site, and the updates from the Athletic Director are sparse and non-informative. If the university wants to take the next leap forward, it must learn to market itself progressively.

My only question is with all these great changes, how come the publicity is lacking?  The only mention of capital improvements on the web-site is the ground-breaking for the lacrosse field.

With so many alumni all over the country, the web-site should be used more aggressively to achieve long-term goals.  Currently there is no mention of the Athletics Master Plan on the site, and the updates from the Athletic Director are sparse and non-informative.  If the university wants to take the next leap forward, it must learn to market itself progressively.

12541[/snapback]

I suggest you call the athletics dept. with that suggestion. I know I have.

As nothing gets done without the money, there's no sense announcing things until they can happen. The plan is the basis and when funding becomes available for a phase, I'm sure they'll be announcements. There's still millions of dollars of work left at the LAX/FH venue to finish. Just keep selling out the RACC, and be assured persons are working to get more $ into the coffers for all of the projects.

As nothing gets done without the money, there's no sense announcing things until they can happen.  The plan is the basis and when funding becomes available for a phase, I'm sure they'll be announcements.  There's still millions of dollars of work left at the LAX/FH venue to finish.  Just keep selling out the RACC, and be assured persons are working to get more $ into the coffers for all of the projects.

12544[/snapback]

If you want to attract investment, you need to announce your plans. Otherwise, there is nothing to support. As I mentioned once before, when I was in Albany for the BPG, I saw the plans that have been alluded to here....behind a glass enclosure inside the RACC. Initially I was excited to see all of the proposed changes, but I then began to question why this was the only area where this information is available.

I will call the athletic office sometime before this weekend's game politely reminding them that if funding is the problem then this weekend is a showcase.

(Additionally, I attended the Ferocious Feast before the BPG, and there was no mention of expansion there.....only behind that one glass enclosure).

Fund raising is really for the professionals. The alums contributions are the frosting--the corporates build the cake. FB & BB schloraships will not take away but only support the other sports programs. Run the numbers--with 10-15,000 for football and 4-5000 for basketball will provide a nice income. With this weekends AE championship, our home attendance will average over 3000 and be 2nd in the AE. If the new FB conference comes to be a reality--10,000 will be a piece of cake--if played at twilight or night.

As nothing gets done without the money, there's no sense announcing things until they can happen.  The plan is the basis and when funding becomes available for a phase, I'm sure they'll be announcements.  There's still millions of dollars of work left at the LAX/FH venue to finish.  Just keep selling out the RACC, and be assured persons are working to get more $ into the coffers for all of the projects.

12544[/snapback]

If you want to attract investment, you need to announce your plans. Otherwise, there is nothing to support. As I mentioned once before, when I was in Albany for the BPG, I saw the plans that have been alluded to here....behind a glass enclosure inside the RACC. Initially I was excited to see all of the proposed changes, but I then began to question why this was the only area where this information is available.

12546[/snapback]

The people and companies that have the money are being approached. If you are interested in making a donation, contact Don Ostrom. I'm sure he can get you all the information you're looking for. These plans were announced several months ago in various outlets. Maybe when the next piece of the puzzle gets started or the LAX/FH venue gets it's stands built, we can reiterate the sales pitch. They do it quite often on the nanotech side of the house.

Fund raising is really for the professionals.  The alums contributions are the frosting--the corporates build the cake.  FB & BB schloraships will not take away but only support the other sports programs.  Run the numbers--with 10-15,000 for football and 4-5000 for basketball will provide a nice income.  With this weekends AE championship, our home attendance will average over 3000 and be 2nd in the AE.  If the new FB conference comes to be a reality--10,000 will be a piece of cake--if played at twilight or night.

12550[/snapback]

Sorry oldtimer, the numbers rarely add up. See

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2003/17.php

some quotes

only 35% of athletic departments are showing a profit.

Also of note is that during the 2000-01 school year, the so-called revenue-generating sports at Bowling Green - football and men's basketball - combined for a loss of more than $1.9 million. However, over the course of 6 home games, the Falcons managed to only net 106,916 in attendance with an average of 17,819 per game. Bowling Green dropped men's track & field as did three other MAC teams.

I can't disagree with programs running in the red, and I don't think UA will be in the black. I just think if administered properly football and basketball will support themselves (although not just by box office receipts) and other sports will be supported by the University and alumnae. I have a cousin who played at Bowling Green on scholarship and is coaching football in NY State today. If they are in the red for 1.9 mil someone is over paid and the administration should be in question.

I can't disagree with programs running in the red, and I don't think UA will be in the black.  I just think if administered properly football and basketball will support themselves (although not just by box office receipts) and other sports will be supported by the University and alumnae.  I have a cousin who played at Bowling Green on scholarship and is coaching football in NY State today.  If they are in the red for 1.9 mil someone is over paid and the administration should be in question.

12559[/snapback]

Fair enough. I love football and attended most of the horrible weather games last season. Will the new stadium have heated seats :lol: I'll pay for one!

Run the numbers--with 10-15,000 for football and 4-5000 for basketball will provide a nice income.  With this weekends AE championship, our home attendance will average over 3000 and be 2nd in the AE.  If the new FB conference comes to be a reality--10,000 will be a piece of cake--if played at twilight or night.

12550[/snapback]

I don't know about a piece of cake - the avg. I-AA FB attendance is about 7,700, only about 30 of the 120 I-AA schools average over 10,000, and of those only 4 (Yale, Harvard, Penn, and 'Nova - UMass is close) are in what I'd consider the Northeast (north of Delaware, east of Youngstown). Of course, the Albany area doesn't have a lot of sports competition on autumn Saturday nights. I'd expect the football program to run a deficit, you just have to decide it's worth it, and keep it to a manageable size.

only about 30 of the 120 I-AA schools average over 10,000, and of those only 4 (Yale, Harvard, Penn, and 'Nova - UMass is close) are in what I'd consider the Northeast

12570[/snapback]

Harvard & Yale apparently make the 10k average attendance in large measure thanks to The Game. Drop that out of the average and they're well below 10k

only about 30 of the 120 I-AA schools average over 10,000, and of those only 4 (Yale, Harvard, Penn, and 'Nova - UMass is close) are in what I'd consider the Northeast

12570[/snapback]

Harvard & Yale apparently make the 10k average attendance in large measure thanks to The Game. Drop that out of the average and they're well below 10k

12576[/snapback]

I stand somewhat corrected. Yale's average attendance for 4 home games, a calculation which does not include the Harvard contest, was around 12,500, with a low of 2400 and a high of 21k