UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2005 Tourney Story

This should be interesting to follow over the next couple of months. I think Monasch makes a good point that you want a host school that has a good chance to win two games at the venue. On paper, Albany would have a good chance to win two games and draw well next year. But, does the AE reward Albany eventhough they probably wouldn't have shown a proven product yet by that point in time (meaning over the summer when the bid is awarded)??? Face it, it is possible that UA would be winless in three AE Tourney games when this decision is made.

The sponsorship thing is huge as well. A big company needs to step up to the plate (KeyBank, Price Chopper???). I think the Albany area is lukewarm with sponsorship activity. Siena even struggles in this area as companies are very hesitant to dish out the cash, especially with the economy these days.

In terms of going up against the MAAC, despite what I've said in past posts (that it's a bad idea), the more I think about it, the better it actually seems. The Pepsi, to my knowledge, is almost barren during the MAAC tournament.

(Alright, that's stretching it, but it's so big that it's hard to fill.)

But the RACC could actually have thousands of people and look filled for the Amercia East Tournament, which would be a boon to UAlbany and the league.

And I don't really believe that there is a big public showing of support for either league, outside of UA and Siena fans who were going to come to their games anyway. Joe Fan doesn't just up and go to tournament games in Albany, at least not in any great number. So having two basketball tournaments to go to won't be a problem, since most likely unrelated people weren't going to go anyhow.

The only potential downfall would be hotel space, but I presume that between downtown, near school and near the airport it wouldn't be a big problem. Thousands of people come into the area for a simultaneous Giants camp and Saratoga opening weekend, so we should be able to hold two tournaments.

Another potential downfall would be media coverage. We all know that the TU is all over Siena's nuts, so to speak. Channel 13 would probably be fair to both schools, WTEN loves Siena and doesn't cover UA, Fox would be fair, and I don't ever watch Channel 6 or Capital News 9.

Does the AE realize that Albany has everybody back and adds Wilson, Jordan, and Das Big Man plus four signees.

I don't think people realize how good Albany can be next year. We are not talking 500 record overall. We are talking Top 4 in the AE and potential run in the AE Tourney.

This team could be very good! At least on paper!