UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The problem with Hofstra and AE football is that AE football does not have an auto bid to the 1AA playoffs. The CAA does. The possible scenario with Hofstra joining the AE is that the travel expenses associated with the CAA is tremendous and it would be cheaper to play AE programs. This would be why Hofstra may entertain AE Football if it were to become a reality. I can't see that as the reason they would switch on its own, besides AE Football HAS NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED.

My biggest concern is what happens if AE Football DOES NOT come to fruition? Where does that leave our beloved Great Danes?

The problem with Hofstra and AE football is that AE football does not have an auto bid to the 1AA playoffs. The CAA does. . . .

14926[/snapback]

Why would an AE football league not receive an auto bid? This sentence is really a question, rather than criticism. I just don't know much about this situation.

My very limited understanding of the playoff situation regarding 1-AA football postseason is that any league with six members or more automatically qualify for the postseason - which I thought this new league would qualify as, but I am woefully ignorant of the scenarios as a whole.

Anyway, it's exciting to know that the UAlbany football program is taking large strides in a relatively short period of time.

If this "rumor on the street" is indeed true, it sounds to me like Hofstra could be moving back to AE as an all-sports member. That would be great news for the league, although I'm not too excited about a 7 team football league in the short run. I think that AE would eventually like to see 12 schools in the league including 9 football members, but that will probably be part of the next round of conference musical chairs. I'm sure that the league would LOVE to see UMass and URI as AE members #11 and #12 (and so would I):

AE All-Sports:

Maine

UNH

Vermont

Boston U

UMass

URI

Hartford

Albany

Binghamton

Stony Brook

Hofstra

UMBC

Now that would be a great league! A very tight geography, like-minded institutions of similar size, etc. I don't buy for one minute that Hofstra's success in various sports recently is due to their membership in the CAA. And imagine how strong lacrosse would be with the additions of Hofstra and UMass!

Edited by mainejeff

Why would an AE football league not receive an auto bid? This sentence is really a question, rather than criticism. I just don't know much about this situation.

My very limited understanding of the playoff situation regarding 1-AA football postseason is that any league with six members or more automatically qualify for the postseason - which I thought this new league would qualify as

14928[/snapback]

By NCAA rule, no more than half of the playoff field may be reserved for automatic bids. This is why the NEC doesn't have a bid, even though it qualifies by every written rule; a committee chooses which leagues get an autobid before the season starts. If AEast football starts, it won't get an autobid unless either the playoffs expand beyond 16 teams, or it proves itself stronger than one of the eight leagues now included (A-10/CAA, Big Sky, Southern Conference, Gateway, Ohio Valley, MEAC, Patriot, and Southland).

By NCAA rule, no more than half of the playoff field may be reserved for automatic bids. This is why the NEC doesn't have a bid, even though it qualifies by every written rule; a committee chooses which leagues get an autobid before the season starts. If AEast football starts, it won't get an autobid unless either the playoffs expand beyond 16 teams, or it proves itself stronger than one of the eight leagues now included (A-10/CAA, Big Sky, Southern Conference, Gateway, Ohio Valley, MEAC, Patriot, and Southland).

14936[/snapback]

Well, I see at least 2 and possibly 3 conferences in that list that this league would be stronger than right off the bat.

14936[/snapback]

Well, I see at least 2 and possibly 3 conferences in that list that this league would be stronger than right off the bat.

14937[/snapback]

but AE football would still need an "in" in the good ole' boy network of the selection committee. something i don't see.