UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Vives Receives Honor

From the UAlbany website today:

"ROBERTO VIVES NAMED THE NORTHEAST MEN'S TRACK COACH OF THE YEAR

Albany, N.Y. - University at Albany head track and field coach Roberto Vives has been selected as the Northeast District's Men's Coach of the Year for the outdoor season as announced Thursday, June 1 by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. In each district, Division I coaches nominated and selected one winner in six categories.

"Vives led the UAlbany men's track team to its second consecutive America East Conference outdoor championship in 2006. His athletes took home five individual titles and one relay en route to posting the third championship in four years. He also guided the women's track team to its first-ever conference crown this season.

"Vives, who works with the team's hurdlers, guided freshman Joe Greene to an IC4A 400-meter hurdles title and an at-large bid to the NCAA Championships, which will be held on June 7-10 in Sacramento, Calif. Teammate Marc Pallozzi will join Greene at the championships to compete in the javelin throw.

"As director of UAlbany track and field and cross country for 21 seasons, Vives has guided his teams to a combined 30 conference championships, including seven since joining the America East in 1999-2000. He also oversees middle-distance runners for UAlbany, including Gered Burns, who became the school's first Division I All-American when he placed fifth in the 800-meter run at the 2006 NCAA Indoor Championships."

This honor is very great for him. He deserves it after his long tenure and great success. The team members deserve the honor, too, for all their effort and loyalty. The school is showing a higher and higher level of progress in developing a successful all-around Division I program. Congratulations to all!

Some pretty hardcore quotes in the Leader Herald story from Moore. Like this one:

"When I’m dead, my limits are up. If I die coming across the track, then that’s the fastest I could have ever run in my entire life.”

Sounds like Steve Prefontaine.

This is a steal for Albany.

1:51.6 is unreal. I hope he is fully committed. Other schools will come knocking on his door now.

Also belated congrats to Coach Vives on this well deserved award.

A great coach and a better person.