UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Somebody at the ASP gets its

UAalum72

I was hoping the article would live up to the headline and the punchline. My recommendation to the author is that he do some homework. If the ASP maintains archives that go back to the 60s and early 70s, read the pre and post game articles. Do the same for the Times Union, which are on microfilm in the UAlbany library. Interview Doc Sauers and some of the players of that era; it's not too hard, several are season ticketholders, or frequent attendees. Even interview Coach Ford about the football games of the 70s. I saw Rudy Vido in the Varsity Club tent on Sayturday; i'm sure he has some interesting memories.

To many of us it does not have to become a rivalry; it is and always has been a rivalry.

Statefan,

Why am I surprised that you responded to this thread?

Like you, I was disappointed with the content of the article. There was no real meat in it. The author could have indicated how strong the rivalry had been, and you were correct in identifying great eyewitnesses who could have provided great information from that era.

Even if the author is knowledgeable about the older rivalry, as a service to the younger classes, he could have described just how intense the rivalry has been. UAlbany has been criticized in the past as being a very apathetic campus with little school spirit. The article missed a great opportunity to educate the students and alleviate that problem.

Man, you guys are blasting this like its the New York Times. This is a college newspaper, made up of people who do this for free. Give this kid a break. The author probably had good intentions of making it a great piece but then he waited to the last minute, got drunk one night, lost his keys and cellphone, threw up all over himself, woke up in the frontyard of someone's house and realized his deadline was only a few hours away so he had to throw some stuff together as he was nursing a hangover.

The author probably had good intentions of making it a great piece but then he waited to the last minute, got drunk one night, lost his keys and cellphone, threw up all over himself, woke up in the frontyard of someone's house and realized his deadline was only a few hours away so he had to throw some stuff together as he was nursing a hangover.

16148[/snapback]

How is this different from a reporter from the Post?

Man, you guys are blasting this like its the New York Times. This is a college newspaper, made up of people who do this for free. Give this kid a break. - UAlbany09

Usually if you volunteer and do something for free you're passionate about what you're doing or you wouldn't be there in the first place.

This article lacked passion so badly it made me wonder why it was written.

You can file this in the honesty file!!!!!

Edited by Patch

The author probably had good intentions of making it a great piece but then he waited to the last minute, got drunk one night, lost his keys and cellphone, threw up all over himself, woke up in the frontyard of someone's house and realized his deadline was only a few hours away so he had to throw some stuff together as he was nursing a hangover.

16148[/snapback]

How is this different from a reporter from the Post?

16149[/snapback]

that made me laugh. Referring to what Patch said, yes if you do it for free it is about the passion. I'm sure this student who wrote this did have passion, but probably not the skill to research and develop an article to the standard that you guys want it to be at. I've noticed that alot of the ASP writers lack these skills. I was dissapointed to see that this week's ASP Sports Section only had a little box about the Delaware game when it should have taken up the entire front page of it.

Journalists today have a problem with headlines!!!!!!!!! The headline led "oldtimers" to think he was going to write about "60's & '70's basketball or club football rivalries. In truth he wanted the "real" news medium to give us some kudos for our dominance in all sports including volleyball, soccer, field hockey, et al. I may be wrong but that's my perception and I appreciate the time students give to on campus publications.