UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

AE Tourney Info-Hotel????

We are planning to go to Boston for the tourney...we went last year for the weekend to Binghamton and that was fun and Boston's obviously got lots more to do...in Bingo we stayed at the Holiday Inn which is where UA held its pre game party which was also fun...question for anyone who may know...what hotel will be UA's HQ's in beantown.???? We want to stay with all the UA fans and enjoy the pre-game...I asked Charlie Voelker/Rob T and Don Ostrom prior to the Hartford game and they said that they thought the Hilton was gonna be the place and they hoped to have more info by the UMBC game....I was checking for room availability at the Hilton Back Bay (which is down the street from Agannis Arena) and there are no rooms available...likewise with Sheraton right across the street from the Hilton...Charlie/Rob/Don said that the alumni association was throwing the party...perhaps they have some rooms available too???? Does anyone know???? We'd like to get our accoms locked up soon...parking seems to be an issue since these hotels are all in the Kenmore Sq area...not alot of open land to park cars!!!

Thanks and Go Danes!

I just received the e-mail set forth below from the Alumni Association. This information is also available at http://www.albany.edu/alumni/ (click on the link to the right of the page; in the past ten minutes, I haven't been able to access the page, otherwise I would have provided that link). I don't know whether one is required to be an Alumni Association member to join the trip (it appears as though we can bring guests). The Alumni Assoc. can, of course, answer that question, as well as any other question that you might have. Hopefully the following information will help. I am planning to go out on this trip solo-style (g/f can't make it) as of right now. Wouldn't miss this tournament for anything!

Here is the complete text of the e-mail that I received today (I adjusted the formatting that was misaligned via my copy and paste):

Attention Great Danes Fans!

Get ready for a weekend of excitement as the UAlbany Alumni Association sponsors a bus trip to the men's America East Conference Basketball Tournament in Boston, Mass., March 3-4, 2007.

The bus departs from the Alumni house on Saturday, March 3, at 8:30 a.m. traveling to the Agganis Arena/ Boston University and the Boston Hilton Hotel Financial District and returns to Albany on Sunday, March 4, after the last game, leaving from the Agganis Arena.

The Alumni Association will host a reception for alumni and other Great Danes fans at the Boston Hilton Hotel Financial District on Saturday, March 3, between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., dependent on UAlbany's game time. Exact time will be announced later.

For your convenience, the UAlbany Alumni Association has set up room block at the Hilton Boston Hotel Financial District. You can make your reservations directly by calling the reservations line at 1-800-559-5659 or contacting the hotel directly at 1-617-556-0006. Be sure to mention UAlbany to receive the discounted pricing. The hotel is conveniently located near the T (Greenline), which stops at Boston University/Agganis Arena. The deadline for making hotel reservations is February 3, 2007. After this date, rooms and rates are subject to availability and are not guaranteed.

Please note the bus will be providing transportation to/from the Agganis Arena, the Boston Hilton Hotel Financial District and return trip to Albany only. If you are purchasing a package, (Session pass and Bus), and/or just a bus ticket but staying at an alternate location in Boston, you will be responsible for your own transportation to/from the arena and your hotel. Make sure you are at the designated post game gathering spot on Sunday, March 4, so you can catch the bus back to Albany!

PRICING:

Package, Bus and All Session Game Tickets

Varsity Club Member: $85.00, Non-Varsity Club Member $90.00

Bus Ticket Only

Varsity Club Member: $25.00, Non-Varsity Club Member $35.00

Games Ticket only

Call the box office at (518) 442-4683.

Register online

Questions? Contact the Alumni Association at (518) 442-3080.

We are planning to go to Boston for the tourney...we went last year for the weekend to Binghamton and that was fun and Boston's obviously got lots more to do...in Bingo we stayed at the Holiday Inn which is where UA held its pre game party which was also fun...question for anyone who may know...what hotel will be UA's HQ's in beantown.???? We want to stay with all the UA fans and enjoy the pre-game...I asked Charlie Voelker/Rob T and Don Ostrom prior to the Hartford game and they said that they thought the Hilton was gonna be the place and they hoped to have more info by the UMBC game....I was checking for room availability at the Hilton Back Bay (which is down the street from Agannis Arena) and there are no rooms available...likewise with Sheraton right across the street from the Hilton...Charlie/Rob/Don said that the alumni association was throwing the party...perhaps they have some rooms available too???? Does anyone know???? We'd like to get our accoms locked up soon...parking seems to be an issue since these hotels are all in the Kenmore Sq area...not alot of open land to park cars!!!

Thanks and Go Danes!

For the record, the Hilton is not right down the street from the Agganis. Closer to the Agganis would be the Holiday Inn in Brookline or the Hotel Commonwealth on Commonwealth Avenue in Kenmore Square. Across the river (an not too far) you have the Hyatt (team hotel I THOUGHT) and THE CHARLES HOTEL. Right off the Common you have the Omni (so-so pricey...usually deals), the Ritz (price), Nine-Zero (pricey), 15 Beacon (pricey), Four Seasons (pricey), the Radison (not pricey and the block between a semi-bad neighborhood and the common...but I have never heard of a problem in the hotel). Then you have the Charlesmark on Boylston, The Colonade (near the Hilton), The Copley Hotel, The Lenox (pricey), and others....

There is also the Holiday Inn Express by Government Center, a 5-10 minute walk from the Govt Center T. Stop.

I believe there is a Marriot Courtyard on ExeterStreet (not far from the Hilton). It is right off of Boylston.

Wow...now that I see it is the Hilton Downton....LOL...it is nowhere NEAR THE BU ARENA. It is train ride (or 10-15 cab ride). It used to be the Suisse Hotel. It is down the block from the Ritz, one block off of Chinatown.

Since I really don't know anything about Boston --- I've only been there twice in my life --- can anyone suggest one place of the city versus another if my interest was being close to a good nightlife area for young professionals? Is there an area where the downtown nightlife tends to thrive, or does the nightlife tend to have an ubiquitous presence in the city? Ideally, of course, I would want to be near both a good nightlife and restaurant/shopping spot as well as the host Arena.

For the record, the Hilton is not right down the street from the Agganis. Closer to the Agganis would be the Holiday Inn in Brookline or the Hotel Commonwealth on Commonwealth Avenue in Kenmore Square. Across the river (an not too far) you have the Hyatt (team hotel I THOUGHT) and THE CHARLES HOTEL. Right off the Common you have the Omni (so-so pricey...usually deals), the Ritz (price), Nine-Zero (pricey), 15 Beacon (pricey), Four Seasons (pricey), the Radison (not pricey and the block between a semi-bad neighborhood and the common...but I have never heard of a problem in the hotel). Then you have the Charlesmark on Boylston, The Colonade (near the Hilton), The Copley Hotel, The Lenox (pricey), and others....

There is also the Holiday Inn Express by Government Center, a 5-10 minute walk from the Govt Center T. Stop.

I believe there is a Marriot Courtyard on ExeterStreet (not far from the Hilton). It is right off of Boylston.

I was waiting for UA_MA_2000 to finish posting before posting my choice of the Holiday Inn on Beacon Street as a suitable pick. My parents would always stay there when they visited me at B.C., and they seemed to like it. Good rates, and nearby. I know one poster, who shall remain anonymous (unless he chooses to out himself), is staying at the Midtown Hotel near the Prudential Center. I have been to that hotel, and it is definitely worth checking out. If you like trains, you could stay in the suburbs on the commuter rail or on the 'T', but you might miss some action. I will be sequestered in Quincy Center, but I am not too worried about it ruining my weekend.

As for the alumni reception, I contacted Carmelina Morrisson today to see how I could attend since I already have lodging, tickets, and transportation. She has yet to respond, but I will forward any information as soon as possible.

Since I really don't know anything about Boston --- I've only been there twice in my life --- can anyone suggest one place of the city versus another if my interest was being close to a good nightlife area for young professionals? Is there an area where the downtown nightlife tends to thrive, or does the nightlife tend to have an ubiquitous presence in the city? Ideally, of course, I would want to be near both a good nightlife and restaurant/shopping spot as well as the host Arena.

Quincy Market. Sissy K's for $1.50 Budweiser drafts, followed by fish chowder at the Black Horse Tavern, and night-caps at The Tap, Hennessey's, or the Purple Shamrock. Then, a one block stumble to the Haymarket 'T' station (at least that's my agenda for one of the nights.)

PM me...I just retired from bartending...and have worked in the hippest spots in the city. I will head out with you if you want. I can tell you every good restaurant and club/bar in the city depending on what you want.

Trust me....I will point you in the right spots (heck I have bartended in South Beach, NYC, Montreal, D.C., Atlanta, etc.....I know what is good or bad).

I was waiting for UA_MA_2000 to finish posting before posting my choice of the Holiday Inn on Beacon Street as a suitable pick. My parents would always stay there when they visited me at B.C., and they seemed to like it. Good rates, and nearby. I know one poster, who shall remain anonymous (unless he chooses to out himself), is staying at the Midtown Hotel near the Prudential Center. I have been to that hotel, and it is definitely worth checking out. If you like trains, you could stay in the suburbs on the commuter rail or on the 'T', but you might miss some action. I will be sequestered in Quincy Center, but I am not too worried about it ruining my weekend.

As for the alumni reception, I contacted Carmelina Morrisson today to see how I could attend since I already have lodging, tickets, and transportation. She has yet to respond, but I will forward any information as soon as possible.

The Midtown Hotel? Never heard of it...do you mean the Copley (behind the Pru)?

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, however if he wants to go out...so so choice. Simply have to stand around and wait for a cab. I agree though, no problems with the accomadations at the Holiday Inn. Only thing...he would have to take a cab to the arena or walk 15-20 minutes (remember, it is on the C line and not the B). I lived half a block away from the holiday inn (St. Paul Street)...and that is a long walk to Comm Ave.

Dane96, I got a room in the courtyard Brookline. I think it said lees than mile from 925 Commonwealth. Is it close?

Yep...but the Arena is a few blocks North once you get to Comm Ave and St. Paul Street.

The problem is that there is no T line running across town. Long walk...or easy cab ride.

That Hotel is very well situated, however. The "C" line of the T is the quickest of the bunch.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, however if he wants to go out...so so choice. Simply have to stand around and wait for a cab. I agree though, no problems with the accomadations at the Holiday Inn. Only thing...he would have to take a cab to the arena or walk 15-20 minutes (remember, it is on the C line and not the B). I lived half a block away from the holiday inn (St. Paul Street)...and that is a long walk to Comm Ave.

The Midtown is directly across from the reflecting pool at the Christian Science Park, and a block down from the Prudential duck tour stop, if so inclined.

As for the Holiday Inn, although on the 'C', it is much more convenient to Eagle's Deli, which is a must.

The Midtown is directly across from the reflecting pool at the Christian Science Park, and a block down from the Prudential duck tour stop, if so inclined.

As for the Holiday Inn, although on the 'C', it is much more convenient to Eagle's Deli, which is a must.

Yeah, isnt that the Hilton Midtown?

Sorry about the delay in the response, but Adobe Acrobat updates are killing my RAM.

Anyways, the Midtown is different from the Hilton. The Hilton is known as the Boston Back Bay Hilton (I had to look it up), and it is right near the Hynes, and of course, Bukowski's.

The Midtown is across the street, South, from the reflecting pool, on the 'E' line.

Sorry about the delay in the response, but Adobe Acrobat updates are killing my RAM.

Anyways, the Midtown is different from the Hilton. The Hilton is known as the Boston Back Bay Hilton (I had to look it up), and it is right near the Hynes, and of course, Bukowski's.

The Midtown is across the street, South, from the reflecting pool, on the 'E' line.

Gotcha.....I have only been to the Hilton.

Archived