UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

AE Tourney Info-Hotel????

Yeah, isnt that the Hilton Midtown?

Sorry about the delay in the response, but Adobe Acrobat updates are killing my RAM.

Anyways, the Midtown is different from the Hilton. The Hilton is known as the Boston Back Bay Hilton (I had to look it up), and it is right near the Hynes, and of course, Bukowski's.

The Midtown is across the street, South, from the reflecting pool, on the 'E' line.

Gotcha.....I have only been to the Hilton.

Ok, midtown is 2 - 2.5 miles from 925 Commonwealth ave. In my book that is close. As I was planning on driving to Boston and most likely still will be driving. On the AAA website, the other hotels that looked more convenient were too expensive in my book. Also, there looks to be more than 10 hotels within a mile of mine. When I go to the tournament, I am there to watch games. Have gone 3 times in the past and have seen 6,7 and 7 games. This year it is back to 6 because the plan is to drive in Saturday morning. Would like 1 decent meal in Boston whether it between sessions Saturday or after the 4th game and of coarse some brews. I am not going to plan that out until we know what time we a re plying and what time our pregame party is. Thanks for the input, here.

Haggy, when it gets closer, I will talk to you about suggestions.

Thanks

Since I really don't know anything about Boston --- I've only been there twice in my life --- can anyone suggest one place of the city versus another if my interest was being close to a good nightlife area for young professionals?

For the tournament and for nightlife, I recommend the Sheraton or Hilton Back Bay/Copley rather than the Holiday Inn Beacon St. or the Hilton downtown. I also highly discourage Fanuel Hall unless you are feeling particularly touristy.

For young professionals not from the city the Copley area is probably the best - a wide variety of bars and nightclubs on Boylston and Newbury streets, plus the shopping at the Pru and Newbury during the day if you stay a while.

Since I really don't know anything about Boston --- I've only been there twice in my life --- can anyone suggest one place of the city versus another if my interest was being close to a good nightlife area for young professionals?

For the tournament and for nightlife, I recommend the Sheraton or Hilton Back Bay/Copley rather than the Holiday Inn Beacon St. or the Hilton downtown. I also highly discourage Fanuel Hall unless you are feeling particularly touristy.

For young professionals not from the city the Copley area is probably the best - a wide variety of bars and nightclubs on Boylston and Newbury streets, plus the shopping at the Pru and Newbury during the day if you stay a while.

And anyone who contacts me would get this same info...with more specificity. TW hit it on the head!!!!

I also highly discourage Fanuel Hall unless you are feeling particularly touristy.

Since I have recently moved out of Boston, I am essentially a tourist once again, so I am planning on spending one very long night in the Faneuil Hall area. As mentioned, $1.50 Bud drafts at Sissy K's, fish chowder at the Black Horse Tavern (the basement part of Durgin Park), nightcaps at one of the three bars by the holocaust memorial, and then amble to the Haymarket 'T'.

It's the age-old question: Should you hang out with tourists or hipsters?

I also highly discourage Fanuel Hall unless you are feeling particularly touristy.

Since I have recently moved out of Boston, I am essentially a tourist once again, so I am planning on spending one very long night in the Faneuil Hall area. As mentioned, $1.50 Bud drafts at Sissy K's, fish chowder at the Black Horse Tavern (the basement part of Durgin Park), nightcaps at one of the three bars by the holocaust memorial, and then amble to the Haymarket 'T'.

It's the age-old question: Should you hang out with tourists or hipsters?

Or college kids...which no offense, is exactly what Fanueil Hall is in the winter. As a bar manager at two bars there (at one point), I can tell you the average age of the patrons in Faneuil Hall (outside of Clarke's....and I dont consider Durgins or Black Horse a hangout) is 19 years old.

Again...that is just me.

There is a new place in Faneuil Hall (I will walk by and get the name for people) that is excellant (near the Holocust Memorial). It is next to Hennessy's in what used to be that shady liquor store and the Cingular store.

Or college kids...which no offense, is exactly what Fanueil Hall is in the winter. As a bar manager at two bars there (at one point), I can tell you the average age of the patrons in Faneuil Hall (outside of Clarke's....and I dont consider Durgins or Black Horse a hangout) is 19 years old.

I am going to have to concede that point. You have to vacate some bars before it gets too late, or you will be neck-deep in meatheads and the underage crew. I guess that's why I always liked the basement bars (including the Ames Plow and the Black Horse with its dollar drafts). In the basement there is an older crowd, and you feel like you are in a bar straight out of Russian literature.

As for the alumni reception, I contacted Carmelina Morrisson today to see how I could attend since I already have lodging, tickets, and transportation. She has yet to respond, but I will forward any information as soon as possible.

Working off my own post, but:

"Kevin,

Donna LaRocca is planning the event and I have forwarded her your email. I am certain she will be able to answer your question.

Carmelina"

For anyone with concerns, this was my latest contact (lets you know why they chose the Hilton):

"Kevin,

YES!! You are most certainly welcome to attend the reception! We look forward to seeing you there! I am glad you understand "T" and the Boston area. Some of our Alumni have emailed me they think the hotel is too far away from the arena and want to be closer.

According to the folks at America East the hotel is about 25 minutes by "T" and 15 minutes by bus. There are many hotels near the arena, and individuals are not obligated to stay at the Hilton. The Hilton is a suggestion because they can accommodate our reception needs plus they can accommodate our charter for bus parking, some others I contacted could not.

Any other questions, please call me at 518-442-3087 or email me.

Thank you !

Donna LaRocca

Staff Assistant/Alumni Programs "

For anyone with concerns, this was my latest contact (lets you know why they chose the Hilton):

"Kevin,

YES!! You are most certainly welcome to attend the reception! We look forward to seeing you there! I am glad you understand "T" and the Boston area. Some of our Alumni have emailed me they think the hotel is too far away from the arena and want to be closer.

According to the folks at America East the hotel is about 25 minutes by "T" and 15 minutes by bus. There are many hotels near the arena, and individuals are not obligated to stay at the Hilton. The Hilton is a suggestion because they can accommodate our reception needs plus they can accommodate our charter for bus parking, some others I contacted could not.

Any other questions, please call me at 518-442-3087 or email me.

Thank you !

Donna LaRocca

Staff Assistant/Alumni Programs "

Can you pm me donna's email. Thanks.

BTW...I totally forgot (was thinking of Case Arena, but for those staying at the Brookline Holiday Inn....you wont have to walk anything more than St. Paul Street (though that may be crazy in the winter). The Agganis is a the foot of St. Paul and Commonwealth.

Is the new place by the Holocaust Memorial "Q"? The one where Tim Hudson got roughed up?

The best place for young adults in Fanuiel Hall is Houston's. But it closes bar at 11. At that point, head over to the Vault in the Financial District (about 3 blocks away) or for a decent dive, The Sail Loft in the North End.

Is the new place by the Holocaust Memorial "Q"? The one where Tim Hudson got roughed up?

The best place for young adults in Fanuiel Hall is Houston's. But it closes bar at 11. At that point, head over to the Vault in the Financial District (about 3 blocks away) or for a decent dive, The Sail Loft in the North End.

No...not the Q. I think it is called the Blarney Stone. It is BRAND NEW...live bands...and pretty large. Only decent bar there. Funny, a kid from Suffolk was one of the guys who got into it (the law school mind you) with Hudson. I hated the guy...and Hudson is a wuss because I would have gave this kid a spankin.

Vault...is all done...no one goes much. Believe it or not....VOX is rebirthed....and amazing. The newest hotspot is RUMBA...part of the sickest HOTEL I have seen outside of Miami and NY (in the states that is). In the new Intercontinental Hotel on the Water (next to Rowe's Wharf) they have a great bar that is RUM oriented. Relaxing place...connected to their restuaruant. IN the summer, they have licenses for 140 seats on the back deck looking at the newly rebuilt Fort Point...where hot new restaurants are opening in the loft area around Summer and congress streets. They will have a Sushi bar connected to the bar...and picnic service on the grass. The South End also has some awesome new spots....totally relaxed. The city is going through a major food and bar growth....FINALLY!

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel? Apparently, that is somewhat of an official hotel of the Tournament, for whatever that is worth. From the above posts, it looks like the Newbury Street area is the place to be for general nightlife, eating, and shopping? Below is the new release of January 19 from the America East website:

Men's Basketball Championship Media Hotel Information

Courtesy: America East Communications

Release: 01/19/2007

The Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston will serve as the media hotel for the 2007 America East Men’s Basketball Championship.

A limited number of rooms have been secured for members of the media that wish to stay at this Boston luxury hotel that is situated on the Cambridge side of the Charles River, overlooking the Boston skyline and just minutes from Agganis Arena. All eight teams visiting Boston for the nine-team event will stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotal Boston, the official hotel of the 2007 championship.

To reserve your room at the special rate of $179/night, contact the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston by no later than Thursday, February 8 by calling 617.806.4200 and ask for the “America East Men’s Basketball Media Block.” Click here for more information on the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston.

For media members looking for an alternative option, The Westin Waltham-Boston will serve as the tournament’s fan hotel, offering rates of $99/night. Located 15 minutes from downtown Boston, The Westin Waltham-Boston is a more affordable hotel situated outside of the city. Reserve your room at The Westin Waltham-Boston no later than Friday, February 16 by calling 781.290.5600 or by clicking here.

Feel free to email (cardinal@americaeast.com) or call (617.695.6369 ext. 15) Assistant Commissioner for Communications K.J. Cardinal with any questions or concerns regarding hotel arrangements.

Archived