UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Scott Beeten

another "where are they now story" Notice UAlbany and his dismissal are mentioned. I don't think we ever really knew the whole story. Last I heard, Beeten was coaching in Israel.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/.../566679089.html

Can some of the oldtimers give us new guys a history lesson? What's this guys story, was he the first coach at the D-1 Level, why did he get fired, exactly when etc. Thanks in advance.

Doc Sauers coached Albany for 40 years, into the Division II era. Scott Hicks was hired, completed the transition to Divison I in th 1999-2000 season, then left for the head job at Loyola (MD) - Loyola's president/priest had performed Hicks' wedding ceremony when they were at LeMoyne. Scott Beeten was hired. In one year+, a couple of players, including 6-11 Dave Schloss, quit. Then, the story as I remember , he tried to recruit some Brooklyn kid (Michael something), - and all rumor or hearsay to me -who finally got an 820 on his SAT on his third or fourth try. Beeten had promised him a scholly, but UA's admissions dept. refused to let him into the university. Beeten made several rants or tantrums within the dept., then got fired on Dec. 20, 2001 after 7 games, and his assistant Will Brown became interim coach as other players quit because Beeten was gone. The kid had one unremarkable year at Central Connecticut. It took two or three years for the program to recover.

Doc Sauers coached Albany for 40 years, into the Division II era. Scott Hicks was hired, completed the transition to Divison I in th 1999-2000 season, then left for the head job at Loyola (MD) - Loyola's president/priest had performed Hicks' wedding ceremony when they were at LeMoyne. Scott Beeten was hired. In one year+, a couple of players, including 6-11 Dave Schloss, quit. Then, the story as I remember , he tried to recruit some Brooklyn kid (Michael something), - and all rumor or hearsay to me -who finally got an 820 on his SAT on his third or fourth try. Beeten had promised him a scholly, but UA's admissions dept. refused to let him into the university. Beeten made several rants or tantrums within the dept., then got fired on Dec. 20, 2001 after 7 games, and his assistant Will Brown became interim coach as other players quit because Beeten was gone. The kid had one unremarkable year at Central Connecticut. It took two or three years for the program to recover.

Let's not forget the Gallup fiasco with his nutty father.

Beeten was a distaster!

SSS!

Beeten was a distaster!

SSS!

Without the Beeten disaster--we may never have had Will Brown--we may have never had Jamar---and all the good things we have had and will have.

Scott Hicks is now a Josten's class ring and Yearbook representative in the Capital District

Scott Hicks was also the Loyola coach - for most, if not all, of the time - who managed the team when it almost broke the Division I record for consecutive losses.

Personally, I liked Hicks, and I felt sorry for him that he was the coach when the team was going through a very bad time.

Beeten was a distaster!

SSS!

Without the Beeten disaster--we may never have had Will Brown--we may have never had Jamar---and all the good things we have had and will have.

Amen to that Haze!

Archived