UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

U.S. Sports Academy Directors' Cup Standings

UA_MA_2000

U.S. Sports Academy Directors' Cup Final Standings (National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics): http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_cho...inald1standings

Cleveland, Ohio – With eight America East Conference championships and five teams making NCAA Tournament appearances, UAlbany finished 89th among 289 Division I institutions in the U.S. Sports Academy Directors' Cup standings. The Great Danes recorded their highest-ever ranking since upgrading to Division I in 1999. The Directors’ Cup is presented annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), United States Sports Academy and USA Today to the best overall collegiate athletics program. Stanford captured its 13th consecutive trophy in 2006-07.

UAlbany celebrated its most successful Division I campaign by winning conference titles in men’s basketball, women’s volleyball, men’s indoor track, baseball, softball, men’s lacrosse, men’s outdoor track, and women’s outdoor track. Women’s indoor track and women’s lacrosse recorded runner-up finishes.

Baseball, softball, women’s volleyball, men’s lacrosse and men’s basketball competed in NCAA tournament play. The men’s lacrosse team, ranked second nationally for six consecutive weeks during the regular season, posted the school’s first-ever NCAA Division I victory and advanced to the quarterfinal round. Softball registered a pair of NCAA wins in reaching the Hempstead Regional final. The basketball squad made its second consecutive trip to the national tournament by defeating Vermont, 60-59, in the America East championship. Volleyball garnered an NCAA berth for the second time in three years, while baseball made its first NCAA appearance.

“We have a dedicated and committed group of student-athletes, coaches, and staff,” said UAlbany Vice President and Director of Athletics Lee McElroy. “The enhanced quality, talent, and skills of these groups coupled with tremendous support from campus administration are both directly related to our success and the consistency of performance both on and off the field of play.”

Individual athletes were nationally recognized for their performances. Joe Greene and Marc Pallozzi earned track and field All-America recognition for the second consecutive year after scoring points at the NCAA Championships in June. Jamar Wilson, the basketball program’s all-time scorer, was voted to the Associated Press All-America Team in the honorable mention category for the second year in a row. Colin Disch, a linebacker of the football team, became the third UAlbany player to be named to the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Division I-AA All-America Team.

In its Division I history, UAlbany has won 25 conference championships and produced 12 NCAA Tournament teams.

For those who are interested in the other local Division I institution, Siena finished 240th out of 289. I'm not sure exactly how the rankings are constructed, and I'm also not sure whether Siena has as many Division I athletic teams as UA does, so it may not be fair to compare the two schools (though that's what the rankings invariably do, of course).

Other notable rankings:

-Buffalo was #281.

-The school ranked last (#289) was Duquesne (Penn.).

-Stanford was #1

Complete standings

Albany was right behind New Hampshire (88) to lead America East, though I didn't see Stony Brook on the list

I only add an observation that I made when seeing UNH ahead of us (only because I had to pause for a second and question why UNH was ahead of us), and that observation is that UNH's strength in its non-America East sports (i.e., football and hockey) must propel them ahead of us in the rankings because we were well ahead of UNH in the America East Commissioner's Cup Standings.

It's great to see an impartial ranking of most of the Division I teams in the country. I have one question. Since there are 330+ US teams that compete in Division I men's basketball - and almost all schools offering Division I men's basketball are D I in all sports, why are there only 289 teams ranked in the list?

I have friends who have noticed the dramatic upswing in UA sports. They are not associated with the university in any way nor live directly in the Capital District. It's great to see that our athletic story is getting out there.

Points are scored for participation in NCAA championships. I don't think they list teams who failed to score, which is why no Stony Brook and Northeastern.

Division I uses the top twenty sports (10 for each gender) - includes hockey but not skiing

Bracket determination

Ranking is weighted to schools who make the NCAAs in as many sports as possible, one reason Stanford has won twelve years in a row. We don't have men's hockey, golf, wrestling, swimming and tennis, or women's swimming and rowing

For lesser conferences, where only the champ gets into NCAA tournaments, second- or third-place regular seasons don't help in the Director's Cup, while the BCS conferences get half their teams into tournaments. UNH's non-AE sports are in top conferences in those sports.

Top 15 FCS Teams:

1) Cornell

2) Princeton

3) Harvard

4) Georgetown

5) Southern Illinois

6) Penn

7) Columbia

8) Cal Poly

9) UNI

10) Hofstra

11) New Hampshire

12) Albany

13) Brown

14) Montana State

15) UMass

We should be very proud of this accomplishment. Especially because, as someone else noted, we have a rather limited offering of sports, that difference is even more so compared to the Ivy league schools which offer just about every sport recognized by the NCAA.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived