UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Playoff Expansion (official announcement)

Still need one more vote, but its looking good.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...-playoffs_N.htm

Just to make it clear....there is a chance this still will not get through. There is a lot of support for it though with coaches and admins from conferences other than the NEC. That 9 at-large is really what the push is for, not so much the NEC. The other potential issue is the fact that should this go through, another conference could apply and get the 9th AQ. Longshot, but for example if the Ivy league presidents woke up and got their intelectual heads out of you know where, they would most likely get an AQ over the NEC.

Anybody have the odds on the TU picking up this story tomorrow? After all it is something that will change the UAlbany football program dramatically if passed. My guess....5,000,000 to 1 against the TU. Sorry Singleas, you're just not pulling your weight this year.

Anybody have the odds on the TU picking up this story tomorrow? After all it is something that will change the UAlbany football program dramatically if passed. My guess....5,000,000 to 1 against the TU. Sorry Singleas, you're just not pulling your weight this year.

I haven't been following too closely... is there any guarantee that the NEC will be choosen? The article seems to suggest there was some question as to the conference to be chosen.

I haven't been following too closely... is there any guarantee that the NEC will be choosen? The article seems to suggest there was some question as to the conference to be chosen.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that the NEC will be chosen. However, as of today, the NEC is the only qualified conference to apply for an auto-bid and get rejected. With that being said there are three other conferences that would be eligible if they applied: PFL, SWAC and IVY. All three have chosen not to apply for an AQ and the IVY and SWAC have chosen not to participate at all in the playoffs. The Big South conference is currently not eligible and will not be eligible until 2010. There is a requirement that a certain number of schools play together for a consecutive number of years. Which is why the MAAC and Big South are not currently eligible.

The PFL has publically stated that they would not apply for an AQ, but that was before a realistic shot at one was actually present.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance...Supp_25_FCS.htm

the cabinet directed the FCC to develop a plan for providing access to all eligible conferences by the 2008 championship and noted that any recommendation with a budget impact must be submitted to the cabinet for review at the cabinet’s September meeting.

The FCC, after consultation with conference members, believes that, for the reasons noted below, expansion of the championship bracket to 24 teams is in the best interest of the football championship. If the cabinet believes this to be unworkable, a two-game play-in format can accommodate eligible conferences. However, it must be understood that with the impending eligibility of other conferences, this is only a short-term solution to greater bracket expansion needs in the future.

The report of the competition committee says they want to allow for all eligible conferences. The NEC is the only one that's applied. Remember the Pioneer League's commissioner's main job is to be the Gateway commish, so she's got a conflict .

The Great West is getting North and South Dakota, who are still transitioning and won't be eligible for the playoffs for three years, and ND State and SD State are leaving the GW for the Gateway. But if they pick up another team, you could see the Big South, NEC, Great West, and Pioneer all in the playoffs by about 2012.

OK.... "guarantee" was a bad word. Death and taxes... yadda, yadda yadda. Is it your expectation that the NEC will be given a auto qualifier?

Sorry ATL, I'm a lawyer. I only answer the exact questions that are asked of me. :D

Yes, I expect the NEC to get the first autobid. I'd bet my year end bonus on it. (please no one take me up on that though)....and for the other lawyers on the board...that was not an offer.

You win, but since it's not finalized I'm not surprised.

Singelais does have the main local sports story on Michelle Simpson leading the field hockey team

Transplant fueling Danes

OK.... "guarantee" was a bad word. Death and taxes... yadda, yadda yadda. Is it your expectation that the NEC will be given a auto qualifier?

Sorry ATL, I'm a lawyer. I only answer the exact questions that are asked of me. :D

Yes, I expect the NEC to get the first autobid. I'd bet my year end bonus on it. (please no one take me up on that though)....and for the other lawyers on the board...that was not an offer.

Haha, memories of Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. and unilateral contracts just flashed before me (though I'm not certain your comment, absent the disclaimer, would give rise to the same type of situation with the advertisement/unilateral contract that was present in Carlill ... oh well)

Haha, memories of Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. and unilateral contracts just flashed before me (though I'm not certain your comment, absent the disclaimer, would give rise to the same type of situation with the advertisement/unilateral contract that was present in Carlill ... oh well)

No specified terms or limit on the number of people that could accept the offer would probably deem it an advertisement and not an offer, but I thought you'd get a kick out of it anyway. :rolleyes:

Someone clarify this for me. Explain it to me like I am in first grade. If this goes through then UA has a chance at an AQ?

Then we definatly need the NEC to up the scholly limit to 45. I actually agree with the "Old Gaurd" on this point. If UA or Dayton or whomever gets in the playoffs then it will be like playing Montana all over again. Maybe they give a good showing, maybe we get killed!

Someone clarify this for me. Explain it to me like I am in first grade. If this goes through then UA has a chance at an AQ?

Then we definatly need the NEC to up the scholly limit to 45. I actually agree with the "Old Gaurd" on this point. If UA or Dayton or whomever gets in the playoffs then it will be like playing Montana all over again. Maybe they give a good showing, maybe we get killed!

If this goes through there will be an additional AQ available. Only one conference is currently eligible for an AQ and has applied and been rejected...the NEC. The AQ's are determined on a yearly basis by an NCAA committee. There are currently 8 AQ's. Every year for the past three years 9 conferences have applied for the eight AQ's. The nine conferences that applied this year were:

CAA

Big Sky

Gateway

MEAC

Ohio Valley

Patriot

Southern

Southland

NEC

The NEC was rejected so the other 8 got a spot. If this goes through, there will be 9 AQ's for the 2008 playoffs. Assuming the same 9 conferences apply (which is more than likely), the NEC will get the 9th AQ.

What could happen is one or all of the other FCS playoff eligible conferences could apply next year (Ivy, Pioneer, and/or SWAC) These conferences either haven't applied for an AQ (PFL) or have chosen to forego the FCS playoffs alltogether (IVY and SWAC). If another conference does apply, then it will come down to the committee's decision on which conference is the stronger overall conferece.

I think the SWAC isn't technically opposed to their teams entering playoffs, but practically - they require their top two teams to play in a championship game, so at best their third-best team could get an at-large. Before they had a championship game the SWAC was 0-19 in the playoffs.

This may sound like a stupid question for many of you, but it's one that I'm curious about, and I wanted to hear the thoughts of some of you on here who are so well informed about college football:

What is the rationale behind the decision by some of the conferences to not pursue involvement in the football post-season? Based on the foregoing posts, I've learned that some of the conferences do not qualify for an automatic bid (assuming everything goes through and we get 9 AQ bids), but absent conference eligibility issues, why wouldn't a team and/or conference want to pursue involvement in the post-season?

Archived