UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany 63, CCSU 60 F/OT

Good turn-out by the faithful tonight, and a good game to attend even if some of the officiating calls were suspect.

I really just wanted to start this thread to start conversation about Hasting's play while running out of bounds...Classic.

(But it is getting late, so I will defer to another representative.)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't able to drive out to the game tonight, and I missed the game on the radio/Internet. Would someone who listened and/or went to the game be able to provide a recap and some of their thoughts? It sounds like a great game!

Also, what was the classic Hastings play during the game?

Can't wait to be in attendance Saturday night!!!!!

I was trying to defer to another poster, as it is a work night, but on to the Hastings play:

UA offensive zone, two players going for the ball. The CCSU player flies eight feet out of bounds at the baseline. Hastings is in the air at the baseline (with the ball) trying to maintain UA possession. With his momentum carrying him out of bounds he fires a rifle pass (not a lob, but a fastball)at the backside of the downed (and out-of-bounds) CCSU player, nailing him while he is still in the air, and maintaining possession.

Like I said, I want to defer to other posters to do that moment proper justice.

To offer a proper recap I think one needed to be there...and I was not. Just a couple of points though, listening on the radio.

- The first 10 minutes of the second half we came out pretty flat, got repeatedly beat on back door plays for layups. I think CCSU had like 6 uncontested layups to start the second half, if memory serves.

- I'm not sure what role officiating had in the fouls that were called, especially on Lillis. But he was basically taken out of the game because of a couple of early fouls. Couldn't get into the flow of the game and eventually fouled out.

- Tim Ambrose was simply all over the place/spectacular. I obviously only listened on the radio but Tobin made it sound like he came to play. Looking at his stats it looked like he was dominating CCSU when he was on the court. I'm very excited to see him this Saturday.

- Obviously this team is still a work in progress and thats to be expected with so many new faces. Outside of the 10 minute stretch last night we've played great D and need to gel a bit more on the offensive end. We need Lillis and Brent to stay on the court and more importantly contribute. Last night Lillis had a rough go and Brent had a rough game at Bucknell. I'm not worried because Brent is coming of an injury and hasn't practiced, so he's still working himself into shape and Lillis had a spectacular game at Bucknell but got into early foul trouble last night. If both of these guy can stay on the court, contribute and be a guiding light for the young guys we will be very good.

- I'm a little surprised that Hastings isn't more of a force on the offensive end. Again, it's still very very early in the season, I'm sure that it's a big adjustment not just for him but all of the young guys.

- Last but not least.....It's awesome to see Iati come out of the gate and play like a man possessed. Last year he had a slow start to the season and really almost the first half of the season. This year he seems more confident, stable and under control (chair kicking incident last year) and really playing to his strengths. I'm very pleasantly surprised by him...He's been as much a factor as anyone in almost beating Bucknell and certainly beating CCSU. His three last night was HUGE! Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy on his last run with the Danes.

bosiydid - I know we had a few early second half break downs but please......

The first 10 minutes of the second half we came out pretty flat, got repeatedly beat on back door plays for layups. I think CCSU had like 6 uncontested layups to start the second half, if memory serves.

CCSU had only 10 2pt FGs the second half so I believe it may be a stretch to say they had 6 uncontested layups to start the second half!

As for Lillis......

Couldn't get into the flow of the game and eventually fouled out.

I agree with most of what you said Lillis drew his first foul 10 seconds into the game and the second shortly after that and sat basically almost the whole first half, but do you realize Brian did contribute 8 second half points before fouling out.

From my point of view we are struggling because we are not getting the offensive production from Hastings (but great defense), Connelly or Brent ( but he is rebounding).

I would like to see our three headed 5 man (Covington, Gifford & Turley) atleast avg a solid double-double aginst CCSU they went for an anemic 6pts & 8 rebounds in 36 minutes.

We are shooting 11 of 41 from three after 2 games, if we can't hit the 3 consistently we'll see alot of sagging zones.

All in all I think we'll work out some kinks in the OOC schedule.

Brown played 11 guys in the first half.

bosiydid - I know we had a few early second half break downs but please......

The first 10 minutes of the second half we came out pretty flat, got repeatedly beat on back door plays for layups. I think CCSU had like 6 uncontested layups to start the second half, if memory serves.

CCSU had only 10 2pt FGs the second half so I believe it may be a stretch to say they had 6 uncontested layups to start the second half!

As for Lillis......

Couldn't get into the flow of the game and eventually fouled out.
I agree with most of what you said Lillis drew his first foul 10 seconds into the game and the second shortly after that and sat basically almost the whole first half, but do you realize Brian did contribute 8 second half points before fouling out.

From my point of view we are struggling because we are not getting the offensive production from Hastings (but great defense), Connelly or Brent ( but he is rebounding).

I would like to see our three headed 5 man (Covington, Gifford & Turley) atleast avg a solid double-double aginst CCSU they went for an anemic 6pts & 8 rebounds in 36 minutes.

We are shooting 11 of 41 from three after 2 games, if we can't hit the 3 consistently we'll see alot of sagging zones.

All in all I think we'll work out some kinks in the OOC schedule.

Brown played 11 guys in the first half.

Patch,

Like I said...I was not at the game. I listened to Tobin and he remarked that UA was continually being beat in the second half (start of the half) for layups. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who heard that remark. Perhaps 6 is stretching it but the point remains. We came out a bit flat, you are of course at liberty to disagree. I was simply going on what I heard from Tobin on the radio.

Regarding Lillis, I was unaware that he put in 8 points in the second half. Thanks for pointing it out. I can't really comment on the accuracy of the calls against him as I didn't see the game.

Cheers!

Billy Allen is obviously out hurt, but has Rob Moores gotten any on-court time yet?

Moores and the walk-on saw no action against CCSU.

Which reminds me: Does anybody remember the blurb on the walk-on or have any information about him?

Oh jeez, where have I been. I don't even remember us having a walk-on this year ... . I just checked the Roster webpage -- nothing there on him.

Billy Allen is obviously out hurt, but has Rob Moores gotten any on-court time yet?

Moores and the walk-on saw no action against CCSU.

Which reminds me: Does anybody remember the blurb on the walk-on or have any information about him?

To the best of my knowledge we do NOT have a walk-on on the team. There was talk of a football player (WR) walking on but I don't think it happened.

We do have a walk on on the team. Forgot name.

There are 13 players listed on the UA page and all 13 are on scholarship as 13 is the max. If we DO have a walk on then he isn't listed on the official roster.

Alum73 is right on this on even if he doesn't know sodas. There is definitely a walk-on. I was seated next to a UA alum from CT last night and we talked about this at the game last night right before the start of the second half and he was pointed out and confirmed on the bench.

There are 14 players listed on the roster from last nights game. 1 of the advantages of getting back late from the game is that the program is still in the car, so I just went out and got it. Anyway the walk-ons name is Pete Gaffney. He is number 32 and is from Westbury,NY.6-0 186 pounds. That is the extent of the program.

Archived