UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Needs a Better Deal From the Siena Game

Brown: UAlbany needs better deal from Siena

November 26, 2007 at 11:49 am by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

During his weekly spot on Rodger Wyland’s show on WOFX, UAlbany coach Will Brown said today his school needs to get a better deal from Siena or the crosstown rivalry won’t continue beyond Saturday’s game at Times Union Center.

“This is the last year of the contract and maybe this series will continue, maybe it won’t,” Brown said. “It’s fun to be a part of.”

Asked if UAlbany needs to get a more equitable agreement, Brown responded, “I can guarantee you that. Nothing would surprise me if this thing does or doesn’t continue. But it’s not going to continue the way it’s been in the past.”

This has been a Siena home game since the rivalry was renewed in 2001. UAlbany is given an allotment of tickets from Siena and gets to keep the proceeds.

“You can’t give us 1,000 tickets and say, `Sell them for $25 each and keep the money’ and then give us bad seats for our own fans,’ ” Brown said. “A lot’s going to have to be done to make this equal for both parties involved. A lot of Siena people probably don’t want to hear that, but a lot of them have no idea what’s stated in the contract. I want to play this game, but it’s got to be beneficial for both programs.”

Brown reiterated his interest in playing two games with Siena each year, one at Times Union Center and one at SEFCU Arena. Last year, Siena coach Fran McCaffery said he had no interest in that proposal.

Brown said he expects Saturday’s game to be a contrast in styles.

“We want to beat you 11-10, they want to beat you 111-109,” Brown said. “We’re more of a defensive/rebounding team that scores by committee and they’re a free-flowing transition team that can spread the floor and shoot it. The more possessions, the better for Siena, the less possessions, the better for Albany.”

Brown described Siena as a team that’s “extremely well-coached and extremely talented.”

While acknowledging the local importance of the game, Brown said it doesn’t carry any extra weight when it comes to UAlbany or Siena trying to reach the NCAA Tournament. The Great Danes have lost to Siena each of the past two seasons but gone on to win the America East title.

“I think it’s a great game for the alumni and fans,” Brown said. “I just think it can be overwhelming when you have a week where neither team is playing going in. It’s a media frenzy. It’s not like we’re playing each other for a championship. It’s an nonconference game both teams are going to get better from.”

*Brown also clarified it was someone on his bench, not Brown himself, who drew a technical in Sunday’s victory over Sacred Heart.

“The referee said there was no profanities,” Brown said. “He didn’t like the sarcasm that came from the bench. I guess if you’re focused on what the bench is saying and not what’s going on on the court, you’re going to get somebody in trouble.”

Brown said the technical was given to him in the scorebook, so if Brown had drawn another later in the game, he would have been ejected.

“I’m as sarcastic as they come and I guess there was a smart remark from our bench,” Brown said. “You live and you learn.”

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm betting on this being the last Siena vs. UAlbany game for awhile. Siena is way too stuck on itself to give us the equity we deserve. So be it. Siena's basketball team is what allows the school to say that it has a Division I athletics program (okay, women's volleyball as well, etc.).

I've said it before: Make them come to SEFCU every other year and we'll give them 500 tickets for that game. Then I'd be okay with going to the TUC with our 1,000 tickets in the endzone every other year.

No way Siena comes into the SEFCU and beats us; no way.

I applaud Coach Brown for his candid remarks that reflect the opinions of the (vast) majority of our fans and alumni. I feel that Coach always sticks up for his players and school, and I enjoy listening to him whenever he has something to say.

Also, with regard to ticket sales for a hypothetical, future Siena vs. UAlbany game at SEFCU Arena, I would propose the following, subject to views and responses that will hopefully follow in this thread:

1. As to purchasing tickets for a future Siena game held at SEFCU, ticket priority should be given to students and season ticket holders. By way of example, the only way to purchase a Siena vs. UAlbany ticket for a game at SEFCU Arena would be to buy season tickets during, for example, the summer, which would then allow that season ticket holder (i.e., purchaser) to retain his/her tickets for the Siena game which come with season tickets, OR which would allow the season ticket purchaser to acquire additional tickets (if availabe -- see infra, #4) for the Siena game at SEFCU.

2. Students, of course, would get in free to the Siena game by acquiring tickets on game day by standing in line and showing student indentification. My suggestion, to be read only in substance and not necessarily with regard to form or procedure, would be to require that students line-up earlier in the afternoon -- e.g., 2pm or 3pm to 5pm. Then, any remaining tickets that the students did not snatch up would be sold to the general public as of 5pm at the SEFCU Arena Box Office (if available -- see infra #4).

3. I would provide more than 1,000 tickets for students for a Siena vs. UAlbany game at SEFCU. Perhaps 1,500 or 2,000?

4. Finally, if our season ticket sales go up from 1,900, to, let's say, 2,500 next year, we set aside 500 tickets for Siena fans (though I would prefer we didn't; but I assume a contract for a home-and-home series would require a provision along these lines); we allow 1,500 tickets for students for that game; and then we would obviously only have roughly 500 tickets remaining (keep in mind that players and coaches get tickets too). I suppose that whatever portion of the remaining 500 tickets after the coaches' get their desired number of tickets could be sold to the season ticket holders on some sort of priority basis or lottery system. Alternatively, they could just boost the student allocation and sell the remaining ones to (God forbid) Siena fans or the general public two hours before game time.

5. Screw LCC, and play someone better. The MAAC is a dying conference anyway. If we don't get a contract done, I say we play SUNY Buffalo and renew that rivalry (note my bias, however, as I'm alumnus of both Buffalo and UAlbany). Marist (also in the MAAC if we feel compelled to play a MAAC team), Colgate, and/or UMASS would also be great local opponents to play instead of Siena! And how fun would it have been to see a Marist vs. UA matchup last year featuring J. Jordan and J. Wilson?!

Thoughts?

PS - Another idea is to play Siena twice in one season, with one game at each arena, but I imagine posters here will oppose that suggestion, reasoning that it dampens the rivalry, etc. I wouldn't mind, however, playing Siena twice in one year ... .

Few things:

First, non-league game...not sure they can tag Brown for official comments-- If so, so be it...that crew is the absolute bottom of the reffing barrel. They are three blind mice that are whisle happy.

Second, DAMN BingING SKIPPY. I am so sick of the Siena bull$iena and THIS...is why I like Will Brown each day he continues to Coach us. He went public with the ridiculous nature of the contract- The contract was good for the beginning of this series when Albany needed it. We DONT need the game anymore...much to the CHAGRIN and COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL SIENA fan base.

By going public, two things happen:

1) Pressures the parties to get it done-- The public will not be happy without the game.

2) shows the inequity. Facts are, no matter what Siena fans say, this game brings in 4000-5000 more fans than they get. Facts are, whether they are Dane fans or Saint fans, that is 4000-5000 more streams of revenue because of the UA game.

Facts are simple-- Getting Stanford to come was a COUP for Siena. I dont take away their ability to schedule. But that is about the highest echelon big name team they are going to get to come in without giving up a massive guarantee...and even then, it would be a stretch, e.g. you are not getting Maryland to come to Albany.

So, if Siena could not sell out even the "blocked" off version of the TUC for their marquis OOC games (St. Joes, Stanford, et al), where do they expect to get that revenue from?

I am sure Albany isnt going to hold Siena hostage, however Siena and its fans must realize this is the MARQUIS game on its HOME schedule as far as $$$ and ancillary revenue go. Some combo of better seats (the $iena corner gone) and splitting of the proceeds will have to happen...even if it is on the basis that Siena gets the revenue from there average actual attendance (READ-- NOT COMPED...but PAID) and the schools split the rest...and the movement of seats.

Cue the Siena fans who will say:

Albany needs this more

Albany gets publicity

Albany wont get another local team to come like Siena provides.

PEOPLE-- Anyone arguing against the facts-- That the game brings more revenue than Siena gets all year from one game...revenue that cannot be replaced...even if SPLIT with the Danes-- Has not worked in big business...and has not negotiated large contracts.

I suspect this gets done...but I AM SICK OF SIENA FANS NOT SEEING THE LIGHT!

I do know this-- Other leagues are keeping a watchful eye on Albany's overall athletic growth...and academic growth for future moves (specifically the CAA). I dont see leagues falling backwards for Siena.

With or without this game...Albany will survive. Addtionally, better believe that other games with Siena are taken away if they play hardball. In most sports, you can argue Siena needs Albany on its schedule rather than vice versa.

LET THE SABER RATTLING BEGIN!

GO GET 'EM WILL BROWN!

I agree that we are being screwed under the current agreement. However, I DO NOT want this rivalry to end. This is a great game for the area as it creates some great excitement for the sport and the teams.

I would also love to see the atmosphere in SEFCU for this game, however I feel this game should be seen by as many people as possible i.e. TUC. Or maybe at SEFCU and then maybe a CBS televised game regionally. I guess my botoom line for this series is to have it available to the whole area.

That said, in the next agreement, Siena should consider this game not a part of their home schedule and the arena should be split down the middle, giving each team equal access to quality seats. All proceeds should split as well as the cost of advertising.

If this series were to end, the blame would fall squarely on Siena for not giving us equal treatment. Then they could schedule two games a year against NJIT. :wacko:

Dane96, I enjoyed reading your post, and I agree. On a side note, and this isn't really my area of practice, but do you think one could simply subject the Siena vs. UAlbany game contract (through UA as a public institution) to a FOIL request? (Public Officers Law §87 et. seq). Probably not, however, what FOIL was designed to encompass ... .

Dane05, I agree that as many UAlbany fans as possible should see this game. I think where we might part ways in our arguments is the extent to which we care about how many Siena fans are afforded the opportunity to see the game.

"I guess if you’re focused on what the bench is saying and not what’s going on on the court, you’re going to get somebody in trouble.”

Could that remark cause more trouble with the league office?

If it does, it's just another Emperor Nero move.

The Ettkin referee article from yesterday in the TU mentioned a question about referee interaction with fans. I asked that question because I noticed how often it happens and how inappropriate it seems.

And in fact, during just yesterday's game, I moved down to the bottom row of the student section to sit closer to the refs following another one of their awful calls (during the play when our bench got the T). One of the (fan) advantages of our arena is students get to sit about 3 feet behind the refs on the baseline. When the ref came down (during play!) I told him "I moved down here so I can get a better view of your bad calls." He half-way turned around and gave me a thumbs-up, to which I quickly responded "you shouldn't be paying attention to me, you should be paying attention to the game."

Yesterday's game was full of ref "interaction." On multiple occasions the refs sought out a frustrated player whom they called a foul on and told them to calm down (or something to that extent). The refs went over to the SHU coach a handful of times to talk to him after a call. I understand that happening here and there during a confusing call, but when refs pause play multiple times during a game to talk to players and coaches about simple calls (really just because they were often bad calls), then I think it's pointless and inappropriate. It really just makes to seem like they're trying to draw attention to themselves and show that they're in control..which is often done when there have been a number of bad calls and their interuptions just compile the effect of their poorly called game.

If Nero does find a problem with Coach's open and frank comments, perhaps he should look in-house and have a chat with his refs about appropriate interaction with players, coaches, and fans before becoming frustrated with truthfullness.

Dane96, this isn't really my area of practice, but do you think one could simply subject the Siena vs. UAlbany game contract (through UA as a public institution) to a FOIL request? (Public Officers Law §87 et. seq). Probably not, however, what FOIL was designed to encompass ... .

Dane05, I agree that as many UAlbany fans as possible should see this game. I think where we might part ways is the extent to which we care about how many Siena fans are afforded the opportunity to see the game.

FOIL...or FOIA? Never heard of FOIL...so I can't speak to it. FOIA, the Freedom of Information Act, could be used...but it would be a bitch to get at.

Dane96, this isn't really my area of practice, but do you think one could simply subject the Siena vs. UAlbany game contract (through UA as a public institution) to a FOIL request? (Public Officers Law §87 et. seq). Probably not, however, what FOIL was designed to encompass ... .

Dane05, I agree that as many UAlbany fans as possible should see this game. I think where we might part ways is the extent to which we care about how many Siena fans are afforded the opportunity to see the game.

FOIL...or FOIA? Never heard of FOIL...so I can't speak to it. FOIA, the Freedom of Information Act, could be used...but it would be a bitch to get at.

FOIL - "Freedom of Information Law." New York's version of FOIA ... . When I was in practice, I think the firm usually used FOIL first, or sometimes in conjunction with FOIA. I think you're right about getting at that contract, and I wouldn't want to do that anyway because I wouldn't want to waste our own AD's time with a silly request like that, but I was just curious; thx!

Coach Brown stirs the pot again!!! You gotta love it.

People have to realize he doesn't care about anything but the Conference schedule and trying to win the AE and get to the Dance. The non conference schedule is just to prepare you for the real season.

UA and Siena fans can talk all the crap they want. The AD's will work on the future of this series.

Siena has the high overhead at the TUC - UA has almost no overhead at the SEFCU - who needs the game more???? This years game should just about double the attendance for the Stanford game - enough said. Siena is all about $$$$$$$$$.

Also why should our fans have to dole out Siena prices to sit in the worst seats at the filthy TUC. UA can grab a money game on the road for $50-75,000 instead of the chump change we get from this game, if they choose to.

Glad to see on the Siena site they're excited to be coming into a great stretch of home games where they are much more comfortable. We are forced to go into their home facility and they have beaten us the last 2 times in OT & Double OT and then they pound their chest because that's suppose to show dominance for the "Crown Jewel of the MAAC". They are truly delusional!!!! I rather see them Dancing in December while we Dance in March, like what has happened the past 2 seasons.

Just my simple opinion.

Coach Brown stirs the pot again!!! You gotta love it.

People have to realize he doesn't care about anything but the Conference schedule and trying to win the AE and get to the Dance. The non conference schedule is just to prepare you for the real season.

UA and Siena fans can talk all the crap they want. The AD's will work on the future of this series.

Siena has the high overhead at the TUC - UA has almost no overhead at the SEFCU - who needs the game more???? This years game should just about double the attendance for the Stanford game - enough said. Siena is all about $$$$$$$$$.

Also why should our fans have to dole out Siena prices to sit in the worst seats at the filthy TUC. UA can grab a money game on the road for $50-75,000 instead of the chump change we get from this game, if they choose to.

Glad to see on the Siena site they're excited to be coming into a great stretch of home games where they are much more comfortable. We are forced to go into their home facility and they have beaten us the last 2 times in OT & Double OT and then they pound their chest because that's suppose to show dominance for the "Crown Jewel of the MAAC". They are truly delusional!!!! I rather see them Dancing in December while we Dance in March, like what has happened the past 2 seasons.

Just my simple opinion.

And a good opinion at that. They want to flex...Albany can flex? Who needs these games more:

1. Siena-Albany lax: Siena

2. Siena-Albany Soccer (mens and womens): Wash

3. Siena-Albany Baseball: Siena

4. Siena- Albany Softball: Siena

5. Siena- Albany Field Hockey: Siena

6. Siena- Albany Volleyball: Wash

7. Siena - Albany Football: OOOPS.

Let's see what happens if these games come off the schedule.

Bottom line-- Patchy has it right. I got 3-2 odds that this game continues.

Archived