UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

University of Albany?

ATL_DANE

I'm noticing "university of Albany" more and more. Is this just an easy mistake of our unconventional name "University at Albany"? SBU and BU dropped the "at" in their names. Buffalo and Albany are the last hold outs. Is this a subtle and planned change?

I have never liked the 'at' in the University name. It sounds and appears ridiculous.

I, for one, have always referred to my University as the University of Albany. And always will !

Hopefully, it is a sign of an official name change.

I agree, I think University at Albany is just not intuitive at all. It sounds like a Canadian university. Personally I think UAlbany should become the sole flagship university in SUNY and have the right to name itself THE State University of New York. All the other schools should become satelite campuses.

I have never liked the 'at' in the University name. It sounds and appears ridiculous.

I, for one, have always referred to my University as the University of Albany. And always will !

I agree, I think University at Albany is just not intuitive at all. It sounds like a Canadian university. Personally I think UAlbany should become the sole flagship university in SUNY and have the right to name itself THE State University of New York. All the other schools should become satelite campuses.

Surely you kid!

I agree 100% :D

BUT....My prediction. In 10 - 15 years Buffalo is at 40,000 students. They are much more competitive nationally on the grid iron. Buffalo becomes the face of SUNY. They begin to be referred to by the media informally as "New York". Eventually SUNY bends to the obvious and allows Buffalo to change to "University of New York". Albany is left at the alter to cry.

I just wish UA could find a name that was short and included "New York". The words "New York" has so much respect nationally, why not use that to our advantage? Can't the university centers come to some compromise? Lets do this before Buffalo gets any larger and stronger... de facto flagship.

I like state name universities. There is no guessing when someone says U of Alabama but a lot of people don't know where Auburn is located and they're a big time BCS school... (It's in Alabama)

I agree 100% :D

BUT....My prediction. In 10 - 15 years Buffalo is at 40,000 students. They are much more competitive nationally on the grid iron. Buffalo becomes the face of SUNY. They begin to be referred to by the media informally as "New York". Eventually SUNY bends to the obvious and allows Buffalo to change to "University of New York". Albany is left at the alter to cry.

I just wish UA could find a name that was short and included "New York". The words "New York" has so much respect nationally, why not use that to our advantage? Can't the university centers come to some compromise? Lets do this before Buffalo gets any larger and stronger... de facto flagship.

I like state name universities. There is no guessing when someone says U of Alabama but a lot of people don't know where Auburn is located and they're a big time BCS school... (It's in Alabama)

Ole Albany

Archived