UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NYS Budget- SUNY Allocations 2008-2009

uofalbany

(Figures in the 1000's of dollars) from

Passed Budget Bill - http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A09803&sh=t

Pages 740's - 800

CAPITAL PROJECTS

Albany

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Relocation of the Data Center… 33,755

Binghamton

Campus-wide critical maintenance projectssuch as Science II, IV and V Renovations.. 32,568

Buffalo University

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Underground Utility Renovations on campuses .. 64,027

Stony Brook, incl Health Science Center (HSC)

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Old Chemistry Building Renovation.... 72,893

Albany

Construct Business School ........ 54,000

Campus Center Expansion/Improvements ..................... 30,000

Campus Revitalization/SiteImprovements, Phase II ............ 5,000

Total: 89,000

Binghamton

Law School ......................... 3,000

Center for Excellence Building .... 15,000

New Athletics Fields ............... 5,000

Upgrade to Events Center ........... 1,000

Total: 24,000

Buffalo University

UB Gateway & Urban Technology Incubator Phases I, II, III Downtown........ 32,000

Construct Clinical/Transitional Research Facility - Ph III ....... 100,000

UB Gateway, Phase IV ............ 6,000

Total: 138,000

Stony Brook, incl Health Science Center (HSC)

Construct Student Recreation Center - Phase II .......... 18,000

Construct Computer ScienceBuilding ................. 40,800

Monorail Feasibility Study ....... 5,000

Southampton-Student Center Addition ..........7,500

Construct Marine Science Bldg -Southampton ........... 6,900

Long Island State Veteran`sHome .................. 5,000

Center of Excellence forAlzheimer`s Disease/Equipment .... 2,000

CPEP Unit ........................ 3,000

Planning of Stony Brook LawSchool ........... 250

Stadium Expansion .................. 2,700

Stony Brook Law School Project .... 45,000

University/Basketball Arena ....... 12,300

Total: 148, 450

CAPITAL PROJECTS - REAPPROPRIATIONS 2008-09

Albany East Campus

Medical Research Facility / Center for Alzheimer`s Disease - 42,000

Stony Brook

For university-wide projects which may include but are not limited to:-Intensive Care Building Design and Construction

-Level 8 & 9 Hospital Floor Rehabilitation-Hospital Building Exterior Renovation

-Neorointerventional Program Facilities - - 150,000

Albany

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Classroom Renova-

tions & Upgrades, Phase I.............5,988

Binghamton

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as East Gym Repairs .......5,766

Buffalo University

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Alumni Hall Replace Pool Condensing Units ..........11,004

Stony Brook, including Health Science Center (HSC)

Southampton Campus Renovations....................20,800

LI Veterans Home (Matching Grant Funds)............1,000

Campus-wide critical maintenance projects such as Campus Walkway & Lighting Upgrades.............13,267

Albany - Campus Revitalization Project .... 25,000

Binghamton - Engineering Science Research and Development .. 60,000

Buffalo University - School of Engineering ..... 24,600

Stony Brook

Southampton Renovations ........ 10,000

Stadium ............. 3,000

Gyrodene - Upgrade and renovations ........ 6,000

Basketball Arena ....... 8,000

The Living Skin and Cellular Therapy ProductionFacility ...........400

Total: 27,000

Albany

– Power Substation .............. 5,000

- ASML High Tech Center ........... 75,000

Buffalo University

-Pharmacy School construction .... 27,000

Stony Brook

-Long Island Veterans` Home improvements ........ 400

Albany

- Nanotechnology Research Facility ........... 75,000

- Cancer Center ........... 25,000

University at Buffalo

- School of Engineering - Phase 1 ... 25,000

Binghamton

Nanotech Center ................... 6,000

Athletic Fields ................... 5,000

Downtown Campus ................... 4,000

Stony Brook

Student Recreation Center ......... 19,500

Athletic Department .......... 1,500

Computational {Neuroscience Building} BIOMEDICINE FACILITY ...... 22,200

Cancer Center ...................... 5,000

Southampton Acquisition ........... 35,000

Stonybrook HSC

Cancer Center ..................... 23,000

Stony Brook ....... 123,600

For university-wide projects whichmay include but are not limited to:

-Cardiovascular Expansion

-Cancer Center

-Neo-natal Intensive Care Unit and Obstetrics

-Expansion Ambulatory Surgery Expansion

-Medical/Surgical Expansion

Urban Investment

STONY BROOK ENERGYRESEARCH CENTER....... 10,000

Advance for alterations and improvements

Albany ...... 78,849

Binghamton ...... 120,689

Buffalo ...... 178, 214

Stony Brook ...... 172,258

After speaking with someone in the Budget Office, it seems having a champion in the NYS Senate and having someone sitting on the higher education committee really goes a LONG LONG LONGway.... where one is able to throw in lots and lots of little extras. Maybe we need one of our NYS Senators from Albany sitting on the higher education committee.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After speaking with someone in the Budget Office, it seems having a champion in the NYS Senate and having someone sitting on the higher education committee really goes a LONG LONG LONGway.... where one is able to throw in lots and lots of little extras.

I don't want to say I told you (a generic you) so, but *cough cough* I told you so.

I'm not sure anyone telling anyone 'I told you so' is helping the cause.

I do appreciate the information and knowledge you bring to this board.

The gentleman from my conversation with the budget office also noted that each university center's priority list plays a part in what gets funded and what doesn't... which is prioritized by the University Presidents or Interim Presidents. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pull out the question as to why certain University Centers get double the funding in comparison to the others.

Certain University Centers seem to have HUGE priority lists, and seem to get a large percentage of their lists funded.

Do we have a large priority list? And what percentage of our list gets funded?

Therefore, what do we need?

1.Neil Breslin, Albany's Senate rep, fighting for the University and the stadium in the Senate's budget review...where was he over the past few months?

Capitol Building, Room 414

Albany, NY 12247

Tel: (518) 455-2225

http://www.nyssenate46.com/

2.Representation in the Assembly, which we have, thanks to Canestrari and the University's assembly rep, John J. McEneny.

3.Philip rubbing elbows with Breslin especially, along with Canestrari, McEneny, LaValle, and all relevant nys officials... fighting for University Academic Facility Expansion and Athletic Facilities Expansion.

4. A NYS Senator and Assemblyman on the committees of higher education

Bottom line is... having the right connections and being in the right positions and having the right leadership gets funding. Certain University Centers get unnecessary athletic facility funding and others don't get necessary athletic facility funding.

It would be highly beneficial to form relationships with the current senate HE Committee members..

NYS Senate Higher Education Committee

Chairperson: LaValle

Members: Seward Stavisky Rath Oppenheimer Maltese Diaz Flanagan Parker Robach Krueger

Alesi Serrano Winner Valesky Young Huntley Griffo

NYS Assembly Higher Education Committe

Chair: Deborah J. Glick

Members: Tom Alfano Marc W. Butler Kevin A. Cahill Mike Cole James D. Conte Michael Cusick Luis M. Diaz

Patricia A. Eddington Steve Englebright Michael J. Fitzpatrick Richard N. Gottfried Rhoda Jacobs

Barbara Lifton Donna A. Lupardo William Magee Joel M. Miller Joseph D. Morelle Amy Paulin

Crystal D. Peoples José R. Peralta Audrey I. Pheffer Linda B. Rosenthal Al Stirpe Lou Tobacco

Nor was it meant to.

But nor, would I suggest, is calling those who disagree (or even simply aren't leading the push for) with $36 million the stadium 'idiots,' 'UAlbany haters,' 'pansies,' 'traitors,' etc.

When I, or others, have pointed out that it's this area's lack of targeted committee membership or direct support from specific local legislators or, more simply, POLITICS, the comments were dismissed and replaced with more attacks about unfairness or X person(s) just hates UAlbany and is out to get us. The fact is, those without connections to this school (largely outside of this distrcit/area) don't even have the time or the care to be 'out' to attack us.

Your call to DOB confirmed this, so I'm glad your recent posts are encouraging the building of relationships with key legislators instead of simply attacking people who disagree with something we're all passionate about. Glick is a great person and is a strong advocate for SUNY and higher education. LaValle's obviously a critical person to have on our side, though I would think a more forward looking approach would be to start regular communications with Sen. Stavisky as the ranking member, with the possible Senate turnover to a Democratic majority come November/January...assuming she picks up the Chairmanship in that situation, of course.

I agree with every post in this thread.

I have not met the man, however I hope GoDanesGo can answer a question about him: George Philip.

I spoke to all the offices of our local legislators, and to a person, they told me they had YET to have George in their office. I am a little perplexed by this. While the Legislature should reach out to Albany (our local leaders), if their collective statements ARE true (and I cannot vouch for the veracity of their statements to me), it is a bewildering concept that the TOP LEADER would not reach out to the legislature who feeds his sheep.

GDG, clearly you cannot speak for Philip however, have you had any interaction with him that would explain why he did not meet with these people?!

It really shocks and disappoints me to even have that allegation out there.

MSGDG and Statefan-- have you had interaction with Philip?

I don't want to say I told you (a generic you) so, but *cough cough* I told you so.

Instead of posters arguing and jockeying for position of ‘Poster With Higher Knowledge’, posters should be discussing solutions, and avenues we can all take to help get there. Why rekindle old arguments?

When I, or others, have pointed out that it's this area's lack of targeted committee membership or direct support from specific local legislators or, more simply, POLITICS, the comments were dismissed and replaced with more attacks about unfairness or X person(s) just hates UAlbany and is out to get us.

My personal standpoint seems to be aligned with yours when it comes to the importance of relationships in the legislature. But, I believe almost everyone on this board knows this importance. They also know that it takes a strong University President to form bonds with these very people in our government. If our President hasn't formed them yet, then I'm confused and disgusted as well.

My personal preference is not to focus on the small obstacles, but rather the BIG picture, which is why I try to present information that might help in some way.

The TU has the luxury of printing what they want, period. This is especially true with Letters to the Editor. Unfortunately, the majority of what they print seems unfavorable to the University cause, including athletic facility expansion. That’s just a reality.

My suggest is that the TU only print well rounded, fact filled, informed letters from authors who have put the leg work in, and know their facts, regardless if they are in favor for, or against whatever issue being debated.

Anyone who has failed to inform or educate themselves on the issue before writing a letter to be published, will appear uninformed and uneducated.

Your call to DOB confirmed this, so I'm glad your recent posts are encouraging the building of relationships with key legislators instead of simply attacking people who disagree with something we're all passionate about. Glick is a great person and is a strong advocate for SUNY and higher education. LaValle's obviously a critical person to have on our side, though I would think a more forward looking approach would be to start regular communications with Sen. Stavisky as the ranking member, with the possible Senate turnover to a Democratic majority come November/January...assuming she picks up the Chairmanship in that situation, of course.

I certainly wouldn’t think you would think my posts ‘attack’ anyone or anything. Maybe you are speaking in a general sense, and not to me. I have done a lot of legwork and have focused on solutions and avenues on getting to the solution on here and on my blog.

It seems as though you have some knowledge of the nys government. Being a recent UAlbany grad, what role do you play?

. . . My suggest is that the TU only print well rounded, fact filled, informed letters from authors who have put the leg work in, and know their facts, regardless if they are in favor for, or against whatever issue being debated.

Anyone who has failed to inform or educate themselves on the issue before writing a letter to be published, will appear uninformed and uneducated. . . .

Has the Times Union done an article lately on the lack of a permanent president for UA?

If they claim to be the major investigator for important events and developments going on in the Capital District, then they have an obligation to inform the area's residents on the current status of the search for a successor.

We heard a lot from the newspaper on President Hall's death. Now it's time to step up to the plate and have them investigate what is going on in the State bureaucracy that is preventing us from getting the leadership the school needs. It seems there's enough meat in the potential story for all Capital District residents to have the TU delve into the matter. I know that NYS often moves slowly, but the State has gone through the near-miraculous process of getting two tough budgets approved that this matter of finding one leader should be solved much more easily.

All fair enough.

The 'attacks' I refer to are when you, and others, call authors of TU editorials (and the like) traitors, pansies, etc. They aren't necessarily ill-informed or uneducated simply because they view the facts differently than most of us here. We feel that a stadium, outside of the direct benefits to the university, will have some sort of a positive economic impact on the city/region, others feel that it's a poor use of $36 million of taxpayers' money. Both opinions can be true at the same time. Such projects over time across the country have brought positive economic impacts to their area and others have been a complete dud and, in retrospect, a poor use of money. Perhaps the TU prints more 'negative' letters because they get more negative letters...I have no idea. But I don't think it's fair, or productive for that matter, to critisize them, or others, when we don't know the whole situation.

I've refrained from being definitive about what roles/experiences I've had to base my knowledge and opinions on, because I think there are benefits to having these discussions here with some degree of anonymity for us all, but I certainly wouldn't want to 'hide' behind that. I recently served on the SUNY Board of Trustees and a couple other governance bodies within SUNY and NYS higher education, and now do government relations work for a national education organization mostly in Albany, but in other state capitals in New England and the Mid-Atlantic as well.

I certainly don't claim to know nearly everything and only try to post where I think my thoughts may be beneficial (though I enjoy posting about athletics more!..haha) I hope they are.

How many stories has Mark penned on the need for a new stadium, how many stories have there been about UA going on TWO plus years without a president.....yet the Times Useless has no problem printing negative Letters to the Editor at what seems like a 4-1 clip over the positive onces; be it letters written by so called former coaches or current faculty. I know Mark writes the TU blog and we all enjoy his blog entries but what he HASN'T done far outweighs what he has done. If he is the beat reporter for UA athletics.....why can't he write a story how in hard economic times SB got 23 mil for athletic facilities that were nearly as new or in much better shape then what UA has.

We can all agree that there is a greater need to establish relationships with people who can help advance our cause. The TU has a loud voice but refuses to use it in support of the UatA, not only do they not help it actually gives a loud voice to our detractors. I'm not looking for TU to be a shill for UA and slant the coverage to only point out the positives.....but equal play would be nice. Whats wrong with pointing out that SB got $23 mil to renovate good facilities while UA got zilch. If we are indeed in hard economic times, why not point out the egregious favoritism being played by the Legislature to placate SB? .... Other then an occasional UA blog, they are nothing more then a Siena rag. Hell, we got at least one story on how Siena couldn't put up lights.

Now back to why this thread was started.

It is clear that 2 U. Centers are getting huge amounts of funding in comparison to the other two.

We've begun to unearth some of the possible reasons for this.

What i'm really interested in, besides (getting a champion President, representation in the HE committees, strong representation from Breslin, etc.), how UAlbany alumni, supportive local residents, current students, University staff and Professors, can get involved and make a significant difference.

Talk is wonderful, but I've heard enough.

Action is needed.

This is the perfect time for a University and its supporters to come together and make some serious noise.

People might be nervous or timid, not wanting to make waves, rustle feathers, etc... and hope for the best. This has gotten us nowhere. Now's the time for the University's voice to be heard.

Other University communities have come together around this country in the past. And there have been some impressive displays of support over the years.

Why not us? Why not now?

The four University Centers were meant to be equal pillars for the SUNY system. This means equality. This means funding equality. It's the best solution for New York State and its higher education system. Although athletic funding and facilities for a very successful D1 UAlbany program is necessary and is something I favor, I strongly believe in equality for the University as a whole.

The university Centers are meant to be the pillars, but they are not equal and never have been. SBU and UB are in fact quite a bit larger than UA and Bing. I don't think funding should be equal but proportionate and Facilities should be first rate at all of them. If you look at all the university colleges, their funding is not equal either. Should SBU and UB get equal nano dollars? They're not, we're getting the lion's share as we should given our stature in that field. We want new facilities and continue to work for them. I'll continue to donate what I can and continue to support the Athletic dept. in their efforts.

The search for the new president does seem exceedingly slow, I wonder if the right candidate has applied. I want someone worthy of the post, and don't want a new president selected, if they're not right for the job. Hall seemed to be a great choice, so I hope for someone as good this time around. He set the bar quite high, which may be a factor in this search. I do wish there was a little more news o nthe search, regardless if it's good or bad. No news always looks bad.

I agree to an extent-- There are plenty of firms out there that specialize in EDUCATIONAL RECRUITING. If they are not applying, go out and utilize these search companies to find them. Three years, sans President, is a disgrace.

I agree with alum73 wholeheartedly.

As D96 noted their importance in these types of searches, UAlbany is using Heidrick & Struggles as their Executive Search firm. The committee has already met twice this month and seven times in 2008.

UAlbany has been without a permenant president for 1 year and 8 months, not 3 years.

The university Centers are meant to be the pillars, but they are not equal and never have been. SBU and UB are in fact quite a bit larger than UA and Bing. I don't think funding should be equal but proportionate and Facilities should be first rate at all of them. If you look at all the university colleges, their funding is not equal either. Should SBU and UB get equal nano dollars? They're not, we're getting the lion's share as we should given our stature in that field. We want new facilities and continue to work for them. I'll continue to donate what I can and continue to support the Athletic dept. in their efforts.

The search for the new president does seem exceedingly slow, I wonder if the right candidate has applied. I want someone worthy of the post, and don't want a new president selected, if they're not right for the job. Hall seemed to be a great choice, so I hope for someone as good this time around. He set the bar quite high, which may be a factor in this search. I do wish there was a little more news o nthe search, regardless if it's good or bad. No news always looks bad.

The Universities and student populations are not the same in size, true. I do agree that all Facilities should be TOP NOTCH, and that academic funding would naturally be proportional.

When it comes to expansion, strategic initiatives, and critical maintenance, every University should be treated philosophically as equals. Preference is certainly given to some.

We get nano dollars and cancer center dollars. We are expanding there. These are great initiatives. I believe we should be adding schools, creating a better all around University offering - forming a well balanced University.

They get Medical, Law, Engineering, Cancer, etc. dollars. Their vision is to expand, upgrade, and add schools... they are requesting and they are receiving the funds. They are adding Monorail systems on their campuses for God's sake.

Is it due to leadership, yes.

Is it due to politics, yes.

When it comes to athletics, there should be equal funding in athletic facilities across the board. And of course, we know their is no equality or proportional funding there.

If nothing else, the University community needs to demand that we obtain the highest quality leadership, and to do so now.

We are losing out, and the longer nothing is done, the farther we are left behind. This is enough motivation for me.

As D96 noted their importance in these types of searches, UAlbany is using Heidrick & Struggles as their Executive Search firm. The committee has already met twice this month and seven times in 2008.

The committee met for the purpose of interviewing and reviewing candidates?

I assume this would be one of the only reasons to meet.

When I was inquiring to the liaison to the committee, the man was very clear he couldn't give any information, and that any information regarding the process was strictly confidential. I would assume this includes how often they have met. Where do you get your info?

Archived